User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #46
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,705
what does "poser" REALLY mean?

in my mind a "poser" (in regards to motorcycling)
is someone who has a stupidly expensive bike and 3000.00 worth of gear- all to ride only a couple miles a year, say- to the bar and back, or only on sunny Sundays.

a dude who owns at least two different types of bikes- one of which HE BUILT FROM SCRATCH, rides dirt and street, AND makes his living designing motorcycles for a major international motorcycle company is more a motorcyclist than many of the ADVrider inmates (i would venture to say) and NOT, repeat- DEFINITELY NOT a poser. he is, in fact actually LIVING it. living the dream- designing, riding AND BUILDING motorcycles.

one of the dictionary's [short] definitions of "poser" is:
(noun) "a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not".

this dude, of all people- does NOT fit that description. in fact many of us would LOVE to be in his place, or at least be involved so heavily in the activity which is our greatest passion- motorcycling.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #47
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 940
Fact of the matter is that there are some people who will never be happy unless everyone is wearing what they're wearing. The "he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me" syndrome. I don't have time for those people, as they are (by and large) miserable bastards who have a vested interest in making everyone as miserable as them.

I have a very custom '05 Night Train (my namesake) and a brandy-new '11 R1200RT. Guess what? Sometimes I'll ride each of them with the same gear. Sometimes I won't. Sometimes I'll go out of my way to fuck with people and wear my leather Brando jacket on the BMW, and my Rallye 3 on the 'Train. My bikes, my gear, my ass, and my choice. I logged 30,000 miles on my bikes last year, think I'm a poseur? Think again.

That's one thing that the pirates and the ATGATT crowd can agree on; the need to bitch when they see another rider out of uniform.

One other thing too. Having just lived through a 35mph crash, I can say categorically that the armor in my FXRG jacket saved my back, shoulders, and elbows. The lack of armor in my pants is the reason my kneecap shattered.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #48
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post

one of the dictionary's [short] definitions of "poser" is:
(noun) "a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not".

this dude, of all people- does NOT fit that description. in fact many of us would LOVE to be in his place, or at least be involved so heavily in the activity which is our greatest passion- motorcycling.
Excellent post.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #49
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
That's one thing that the pirates and the ATGATT crowd can agree on; the need to bitch when they see another rider out of uniform.

Nice.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #50
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Please tell me you are being sarcastic?

Jim

No
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #51
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
The broader question is not what gear one wears... but if one chooses to wear different gear with different styles of bikes (and god forbid with loud pipes) can he do so without being labled a poser.

By your defination he can't, by mine he can.

Just wondering how others see it.

If that guy in the pic on the chopper rode by with loud pipes and no gear how many here would think to themselves....he's pos poser. But when the same guy rode by in full gear on a sport bike would those same guys be calling him a poser? I don't think so.
Again, and either I am not making myself clear, or people refuse to read what I write, if he swaps gear for no gear, simply because he swaps bikes, he is posing. It has nothing to do with his riding skill, miles or dedication to riding. It is affecting a look to match the bike, and not for value of the gear. In other words, changing shoes to match his purse, so to speak.

The question I was answering, from the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
So what is the collective wisdom. Read

Can a rider be ATGATT one day riding a sport/sport touring bike and the next day dress like a pirate while on a loud pipe cruiser?

If yes, what does that say about the rider and what does it say about those of us who think it's not possible or the rider is somehow a poser.
Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #52
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
This is certainly a bizarre thread,

Everybody worrying about what others are wearing, just like a bunch of 13 year old girls.
I know what gear works for me and would wear the same thing what ever I ride, I don't care if it looks "right", I ride because I like it, not as a fashion or lifestyle statement.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
This is certainly a bizarre thread,

Everybody worrying about what others are wearing, just like a bunch of 13 year old girls.
I know what gear works for me and would wear the same thing what ever I ride, I don't care if it looks "right", I ride because I like it, not as a fashion or lifestyle statement.

YOU, are NOT a poser based on what you just wrote.

This is the thing, based on the posed question, if you wear what you wear, no matter what you ride, you are not posing. If you swap gear like making the panties match the bra, you are posing.

This does NOT necessarily make you a poser in the traditional sense, but you are most definitely using your gear to affect a look commensurate with the bike you are riding!

Do I care? Not in the least. But the question was asked, and I assumed it was an honest question, so I answered it.

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #54
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
So if you always wear a hi-viz vest with the assless chaps no matter which bike you are riding... you aren't a poser?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #55
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
So if you always wear a hi-viz vest with the assless chaps no matter which bike you are riding... you aren't a poser?
As it relates to the original question, you are not posing. Are you a poser?

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #56
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Wink

Are you a turtle?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #57
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Are you a turtle?
That went right over my head!

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #58
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
I'd say you're probably in the military
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #59
KWayne406
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I wear what I want when I want, some what atgatt but not neccesserily so. I guess I'm lucky to have a bike for whatever mood I'm in but not allways dressed for the bike I'm on. I might show up to the Harley shop on a metric or the metric shop on a harley. To me what matters is that you ride, not what or how you are dressed. With friends in the business it has gotten me a few free tshirts. [ man you can't wear that here] Propper footwear helmet and jacket are allways essential and at least long pants. Tried wearing shorts and a tshirt once,never again. If someone wants to dress as a pirate good for him. remember we are motorcyclists and this isn't a fashion show, show a little tollerance and you might make a friend. Rubber side down and God bless. So the answer is YES!
KWayne406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #60
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
If your traction control is working hard, your throttle control needs to work a lot harder. Squid Crutch? Maybe a few seasons on a 250 Ninja would be a smarter use of track days than riding an S1000rr.
I guess MotoGP guys are squids, using a "squid crutch".
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote