Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #4516
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Someone just asked me

"What about the 'lay on the beach' vacations, don't you ever take those?"

OK, Red Ivers historic ranger station wasn't exactly a beach, but it wasn't a horrible place to hang out for a few hours. However, ALL we wanted to do was ride the motorbikes into the mountains and camp in the woods.

The waiting was killing us.

To console ourselves, we thought about Margus & Kariina stuck between the borders of Angola & DRC for ten (!) days.

And then, more waiting. Yawn.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #4517
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Around 4:30

Sam, the Red Ivers caretaker closed up shop, and walked back to her RV.

We took a few more pitchers,

geared up, and waited at the barricade. Right on time, at 6:45pm, the workers showed up, took down the barricade, and waved us through.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #4518
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We proceeded

to haul the mail. We were losing light, and had 11miles of blue trail to get to the nearest campsite.

It was beautiful light, as the sun was setting, but also getting chilly.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #4519
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the campsite

there were two groups of hunters. We set about gathering fire wood -- there were these HUGE logs laying around, but no way was I gonna be able to break them down with my little hatchet.

One of the hunters walked over with a splitting maul, and said, "here, why don't you use this". We had a nice toasty campfire.

I spoke with him when I returned the splitting maul and he told me that it was bow season, and they had been frustrated by the road closure and happy that it was now open -- they'd been waiting for days to get into the area.

I was expecting a late night of good 'ol boy carrousing and loud drinking , but they were all asleep by 9pm.

At 4am, though, I heard the quietest of rustling, and a very muffled ATV start as they snuck out into the woods. This hunting was serious business for them. No joke.

Our stats for the day:

Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #4520
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

After a full hour of riding, we took a break to defleece and redistribute coffee. I looked down at my right footpeg and:

I'd set my short piece of fuel line down on my footpeg while I capped the sweetcheeks bottle, and never put it away. It traveled for an hour under my foot without getting lost.
whew! that's the kind of relief I can relate to, welcome to the club.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #4521
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey Tony,

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Glad you got to know Idaho! And I'm sorry our visit in Idaho Falls was so short. Maybe we'll meet again this year at Questor's pad.

Really glad we met after hearing so much about the legend! We'll be back in May, you can count on it. Have a great winter, and keep an eye on Q for us!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #4522
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Saturday, Sept. 17, 2011. M8-day#8

Our campsite was at the edge of a babbling brook. We always sleep so well with that ambient noise (and a couple of nightcaps sittin' by the campfire)

When we crawled out of bed, though, it was really friggin'-

Oatmeal & coffee, and we shoved off the dock.

with under a hundred miles on the ticker yesterday, and the escalating level of difficulty we were heading into, we had sort of reconciled ourselves to not completing the route we'd planned. No biggie, I knew it was ambitious. On the other hand, there could be another forest fire, or something which could force us to skip ahead, and we'd be glad to have more good stuff to ride planned.

Today we'd continue south in the NF, and bust down to Powell ranger station to gas up. That would necessitate backtracking 17miles to pick up the Lolo Motorway. I'm not a big fan of backtracking, but wattaya gonna do?

Lotta ups and downs today!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #4523
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Miles and miles

of great riding. C'mon, ride a mile with us:

this was rated "blue"

Not bad, eh?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #4524
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The sun

was trying to poke through,

but the mountains were high enough that they had their own micro-climate -- climb in clouds, hit the ridge, drop down the other side in the sun, and repeat.

another riding sample -- this time a coast downhill.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #4525
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Down along a stream

we found the cut-off to Powell Ranger station:

But this wasn't promising...

Hmmm... what's the fine print say?

YES! "Open to ATV's and motorcycles ONLY"!

It's nice to catch a break every once in awhile.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #4526
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next treasure box

We were feeling pretty good about these challenge points. I think we can do this Tura I'Doh thing.

Can you see LDF in the center of the photo? Those trees are bigger than you think.

This is why the road was closed to cars:

It just went on and on like this. Awesome.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #4527
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 401
Awesome job Doc!! I love thew new format of video and pics , keep it up!! Hope to get up that way this summer....Thanks so much for taking us along!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #4528
7thson
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Negative Dean, I appreciate your confidence in us, and in other circumstances it'd be tempting, but I wouldn't have taken anything heavier than a trials bike up there. And even then I'd probably have to carry it most of the way. Literally, it was a hiking trail. The road ended, and I'm not even sure it was legal to ride beyond. Plus, it was a set-up for a really bad situation -- low on water, we'd left LDF about 2 miles back, it was late in the day, my bike was already overheating with a dodgy patched radiator... Dave, back me up here. We'd already pushed far enough to get there. That section was the most technical of the entire 2 weeks.

PS: been enjoying your pics -- looks like the season is closing in soon, there was some snow in the last set!

[edit]: you beat me to it Dave!

So guys; could a mountain biker w/average skills, legs & lungs have roosted up ?
7thson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #4529
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though

it was Saturday, we'd hardly seen anyone out on the trail.

A few signs of hunters, a parked pick-up here, a camp set-up there, but not much else. It's no surprise Kaczynski set up shop not far from here, just east in Montana.

It 'round 1pm, and we decided to stop at the next nice view and have a stretch and a snack.

Guy in full camo pulls up on a mountain bike.

We walk over and chat. He's just scouting his next ambush site. I shoot snaps for this pano, (click on image for full-sized version)

When I'm done, I step back, and he walks out, and I grab this image. The Leica earns it's keep.

we chat a bit more, he ditches his bike in the bush, and walks into the woods.

We gear up, and ride on.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #4530
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Kinda spooky

riding through the burnt out sections.

We get to the Lolo. I thought it started further on, but what do I know?

I can't remember if this was a challenge point. No matter.

We passed a FS pick-up with a couple of guys who were controlling a section that ran through a burning area. They radioed ahead to guys on the other end if it was OK for us to go through, then let us pass. "Don't stop" they said.

this scares me way more than bears.