User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #4531
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Once we were past

the fire, unscathed, as it were, the views really opened up, and the skies started to brighten.

where we're heading:

What a great run.

before we knew it,

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #4532
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Powell Ranger Station

is more like a lodge than a government installation. They have gas, air, a little grocery store, camping and rooms.

A few of the saturday Cruiser crowd gave my tassles the stinkeye. Jealous.

Actually, a couple came over while I was tightening a bolt or something, I don't remember, I had my tools out. They were asking about our ride, and were really nice.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #4533
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was already past 3pm

when we left Powell RS. I didn't take any photos on the way back to the Lolo, just enjoyed the ride. (click on the two signs below for bigger, legible versions)

We'd scouted the topo maps, and found a campground that seemed to be within range, though we weren't sure how difficult the road would be.

It was gonna be a long day, but the light was sublime, and while we were tired, the riding was just fantastic.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #4534
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Up on a ridge

Shadows lengthening, you could tell it was gonna be a chilly night once the sun set.

The road was rated as "blue" according to the Tour of Idaho log,

but in reality it varied from easy green, to deep purple.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #4535
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We entered another fire zone

we were just thankful the road was open,

but riding through the smoke and fire on a dirtbike has an apocalyptic vibe that you can't really get anywhere else.

check it out:

LDF stopped to wait -- she was worried.

I did get my pitcher taken though -- doesn't happen often.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #4536
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I think this was

our last challenge point for the day:

Because it was exposed on a ridge, and also because the snow was so much this year, both the Lolo and Magruder were closed well into July, and when they opened were really torn up.

Certain sections were now nearly red-difficulty, and others had been recently graded. Our speed was varying from <15mph - 1st / 2nd gear, to 40mph. We still had a ways to go to the campground, and while we passed a couple of undeveloped sites, they were all very exposed and at elevation, and we were concerned we'd freeze -- besides, there was no water source.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #4537
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We soldiered on

and then, just as quickly...

Sometimes, the views were so good, we just had to stop.

We got to the campsite right at dusk. Hustled to gather firewood, set up the tent, cook some dinner.

It was probably one of the loveliest campsites we've ever stayed at -- nestled in right next to a lake, all to ourselves. I was really looking forward to shooting some pix in the morning light.

Stats for the day:

It was long, but at least we were slow.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #4538
Henry James
Looking for Adventure

Oddometer: 346
Ride Report

Doc,
I really enjoy your ride reports. You have a way of taking the audience along for the ride. I only wish I had a glimmer of your photographic skills. Thanks for the gear list, you have assembled a great inventory of items, that is used and tested, which is so very important.
HJ
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #4539
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,702
Really enjoying Mobius 8...

my favorite chapter since the TAT portions and Mobius IV.
I think the tassle thing just might catch on...no, SERIOUSLY. There might be some find their way onto my KLR

Ride on
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #4540
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sunday, Sept. 18, 2011. M8-day#9

Sure enough, the temps dropped overnight. We awoke to the gentle pitter patter of raindrops on the tent.

It was sunday -- a perfect day to stay snuggled up in the warm and dry sleeping bags in the tent. If only.

We did our best to gear up in the tent, and then at the first break in the drizzle, we loaded the bikes.

There's an art to this. Dry inner layers in the tent, then you pretty much have to gear up to ride with rain gear before breaking camp. If you forget to pack something, everything gets wet. Sleeping bags get packed in drybags inside the wolfman along with the obviously wet tent. As soon as feasable, everything comes out to dry.

LDF took a photo of the lake -- shrouded in fog and mist. Not what we were hoping for.

Hopefully we'll be back someday.

Today's route would continue on the Lolo (blue-rated). We'd skip the legendary and potentially lethal Pete King trail (red), pass through Lowell for gas, then head south towards Elk City on mostly green, with a short stretch of yellow and blue-rated trail thrown in. Sections were in various portions of Clearwater, Bitteroot, and Nez Perce National Forests.

As the red track indicates, we did some backtracking. Not cause we were chasing down a challenge point, but... well, you'll see.

A touch over 100 miles -- we were really falling behind pace. Oh well.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #4541
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As soon as we

dropped some elevation the drizzle / fog / mist cleared up. But until then,

Fog in the valley below,

We were still picking up challenge points, but it wasn't as fun cold and wet.

We chased this (kangaroo, I think ) for about half a mile.

My goggles were fogged, so I didn't get a great look at it.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #4542
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Almost off the Lolo

It might clear up... maybe?

Another challenge point?

We passed the cut-off to the legendary Pete King trail. I decided to check out what all the hoopla was about. If any of you are contemplating taking this trail on a DS bike with luggage and mediocre riding skills, WATCH THIS VIDEO FIRST!

Please, let this be a warning. Don't make the same mistake I did. You may regret it for the rest of your life. IF you survive.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #4543
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I just want to point out

that I'm younger then LDF. Not sure why that's relevant.

The rain had stopped, and we warmed up, refueled, and Lowell didn't seem like a particularly happenin' place to spend a day drying out,

so we decided to carry on to Elk City. After all, it's a CITY. We like cities.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #4544
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,975
This is good stuff Doctor.
Keep it coming.

Too bad about Jonah and Quinn huh?
At least Ned is still going.

Ok...
Proceed.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #4545
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
This is good stuff Doctor.
Keep it coming.

Too bad about Jonah and Quinn huh?
At least Ned is still going.

Ok...
Proceed.

Q~
Some of us watch Dakar on a delayed basis. Please - no spoilers!
I stay out of most of the Dakar threads for a reason...
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote