Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #121
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
we have a 240 mile loop in Vermont that an old dualsport club put together back in the 90's. The route is mostly trails and dirt roads and can be done in one long day of riding. We have completed the ride in one day several times and I have solo'd it once or twice. While the conditions are different out here and we have access to plenty of fuel and food etc the appeal is still the same. I have most of the navigation memorized but the joy is in the ride...getting better at certain sections and just the joy of a 10 hour day where the only worry you have is the ditch that is coming up or getting up the loose wet gulch of a hill. The grand rally is appealing because it is a big self guided tour/challenge. A chance to see parts of the USA that most people will never see. There is risk involved which keeps you on your game and forces you to ride differently. Its also nice to know that someone has done the work to create a route that will eventually end up somewhere.....instead of blindly exploring a road network that may lead to a nowhere.....these are common in the West...in the East if the road dead ends the worst case is maybe a 5 mile ride back out.

East Coast problems:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 09:03 AM
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #122
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadcon View Post
All of the above. I like the idea of being able to go out and run a few stages in a trip, then come back to run a few more. Kind of like a trip to Moab every spring and fall, except go and run a few rally stages. Really looking forward to see the final product.

Nice work.
+1. The fact that we are losing legal land access so fast, it boggles my mind, motivates me to go and see and do as much as possible for the time being. It's hard to go and wander anymore, as you always seem to end up at a wilderness area or some ranch with guns pointed at you or an impassable fenceline or ravine. To cover this kind of mileage and see this kind of country that is the last of the last of the truely remote, rideable stuff here in the US with the confidence that while the riding may not be easy, it will go on(without fines or imprisonment) as long as I can stand is also a major part of the appeal.

It's ALL fun, otherwise it would feel like work and I'd hate it.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #123
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,338
HogWild,
I'd love to hear more in depth on your process on your creation of your Roadbooks. What programs, methods, etc (though I understand if you got things you don't want to give away). I've been assembling something similar (although closer to the MidWest). So, I suppose that's what intrigues me about this Grand Rally.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #124
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
HogWild,
I'd love to hear more in depth on your process on your creation of your Roadbooks. What programs, methods, etc (though I understand if you got things you don't want to give away). I've been assembling something similar (although closer to the MidWest). So, I suppose that's what intrigues me about this Grand Rally.

Andrew
Andrew, have you seen this post Scott (HogWild) made in this thread?

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #125
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
Ha, you beat me to it...I was gonna link there too.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #126
andrewgore
Team MGH

Quote:
Yah know, I had seen that post earlier when this thread first came up, but I'd forgotten all about it. It seems I am on the same track with creating the tracks\routes I'm looking for. I hadn't put a ton of thought into alternate routes\work-arounds, though I'll be aim to add much more of that.

Any info on the program\spreadsheet you're using for creating the Roadbook? I had found a few: RBEditor Don Barrow Tulip Software, http://w3.ualg.pt/~aanjos/projects.html, etc. Always helps hearing from guys actually using the software (and not 6 years ago).

In the meantime, I'll be continuing the process of just jotting notes\etc for each thing.

Andrew
Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #127
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Quote:
Yah know, I had seen that post earlier when this thread first came up, but I'd forgotten all about it. It seems I am on the same track with creating the tracks\routes I'm looking for. I hadn't put a ton of thought into alternate routes\work-arounds, though I'll be aim to add much more of that.

Any info on the program\spreadsheet you're using for creating the Roadbook? I had found a few: RBEditor Don Barrow Tulip Software, http://w3.ualg.pt/~aanjos/projects.html, etc. Always helps hearing from guys actually using the software (and not 6 years ago).

In the meantime, I'll be continuing the process of just jotting notes\etc for each thing.

Andrew
Andrew, I'm in Ohio, if you need someone to come out and ride some routes, or just somebody to ride with, let me know, I'm always looking at excuses to ride places I haven't!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #128
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
Ha, you beat me to it...I was gonna link there too.
That's because you're F5ing like crazy on Ned's thread :)

Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #129
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
I'd love to hear more in depth on your process on your creation of your Roadbooks. What programs, methods, etc (though I understand if you got things you don't want to give away).
Quote:
Any info on the program\spreadsheet you're using for creating the Roadbook?
I pretty much gave away my whole process in that earlier post. Most of the details I didn't go into are too messy and complicated to explain. I wrote a lot of Excel macros and created some other custom software to make my process easier, but they are not at all user friendly. It's so messed up that I have to spend a few hours fixing links and pointers every time I move to a different computer. And they only work in Excel 2002. There's no way I could pass on my custom tools without also being on call 24/7 to debug the problems. As I think I said earlier, in my opinion unless you want your roadbook to look perfect and you're going to be making new roadbook routes for years to come, you're way better off just writing the roadbook by hand with a pencil. It's WAY faster that way.

Quote:
That's because you're F5ing like crazy on Ned's thread :)
Yep, it's hard to take first place in two different races at the same time!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #130
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
East Coast problems:
We have something like that in the Grand Rally too! It's not quite that bad, but in a way it's worse. The water below is mixed with cow piss, and the top 1 inch is dried out from the hot desert sun. But when you fall in, as Russ did, it's pretty nasty!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #131
andrewgore
Team MGH

Thanks for the info. I figured you had your own spreadsheets\macros you ran for things, but doesn't hurt to ask. My main goal is to be able to navigate a nice route without the use of GPS while on the trail. GPS will be backup, but I'd like to make it so I can run my tracks while having to use my brain at the same time.

I'll probably use a site like this: http://www.rollcharts.org/ for making some stuff. Not perfect, but for my own intro into things, should suffice.

Thanks Again,
Andrew

PS - Miguez, I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #132
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post

Yep, it's hard to take first place in two different races at the same time!
Yeah, if I could actually focus on one thing at a time, I would probably be able to actually do something worthwhile in my life...LOL...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #133
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
Yeah, if I could actually focus on one thing at a time, I would probably be able to actually do something worthwhile in my life...LOL...
LOL, ditto!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #134
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post

While you all are thinking about this, I'm curious what part of the Grand Rally makes you want to do it? Is it the the cool terrain, or the rally style roadbook navigation, or the rally oriented people involved, or the idea of a long challenging adventure, or what?

For me it is the "cool terrain" and the "idea of a long challenging adventure". As I posted before, the navigation doesn't interest me at all.

I have done the western TAT, and did the continental divide last summer. I like long varied rides. Being miles and miles and miles away from anything or anybody is appealing to me. I don't want to live like that, but I do like a good visit now and then.

Your question reminded me of a question my wife asked me about 30 years ago. I had talked her into coming to a MX race. Right before she got there I had crashed and tore some ribs loose from my sternum.I was covered in dust and sweat, jersey was ripped all up and I was trying to NOT look like I was in pain since I was trying to convince her that dirt bikes weren't really dangerous. She sat in a lawn chair in the 100 degree heat, frowning at the dust heat and noise watching me try to eat a piece of chicken. Swallowing caused immense pain.

After a few minutes she asked " how can this POSSIBLY be fun"?

"I dunno" I said, "it just is".
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #135
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
For me it is the "cool terrain" and the "idea of a long challenging adventure".

After a few minutes she asked " how can this POSSIBLY be fun"?

"I dunno" I said, "it just is".

Did we have the same life in different worlds?

I agree, how can this be fun.................................... it just is!!!
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote