IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I was joking.

So was I

... literally

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #92
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiercat View Post
Women creating a more metro-sexual world...egads...
They fooled you. The fashion designers are mostly gay men. So you can blame them for trying to make all males more metro. Women just follow the fashion trends set by the gay men.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #93
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
I think you get it. Racing classes that allow DTC and ABS are biased toward the ability of the manufacturer to create a more complex (yet faster) racer. They then have a marketable technology for the squid market; Hey kids, can't handle a 150 hp bike without landing on your ass? The new KamayasondaBM XYR1000zrr has DTC and ABS that will let you ride much faster than that old codger on the Norton Commando!
Right! The only reason they use traction control is to sell it to squids!

Quote:
Your example of the V-22 or other high performance aircraft is valid, but only in a very limited, high value situation. The Marines and Army would be much better served operationally by having lots of modern production 46/47's with updated technology rather than the relatively few V-22's that they have available.
Oh, check it out, the guy is also an expert on the tactics of military equipment!

In the end, you're just another ADVRider with a garage full of unexciting bikes and no racing experience, who somehow is more knowledgeable than the professionals, and feels it is their responsibility to talk big like they know what's best and right for everyone else. You've ridden a lot of 150+ horsepower bikes around a track, presumably, given how much you know about them?
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #94
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
And so Newt can legally make another couple million...

Gee... If I can get this law to pass, think of all those millions of motorbikes that will have to have them...

Now if only my stock broker knew who makes those...

Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #95
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMZMZM View Post
Somehow I have missed how the OP's question relates to anything in the article he is referencing.

The engineer dresses the way he wants to when he is on his own time (dime) pursuing his hobbies.

When working for BMW or playing on a racetrack, he dresses the way his employer or track owner (and their insurer) tells him to.

I see no conflict of interest or inconsistency in behavior.
As the OP, I see no conflict of interest either and did not intent to show that the engineer was inconsistent.

The thread was started as a thought provoking exercise. I often dress similar to the engineer based on the style of bike I ride and according to Jim I'm a poser. I'm fine with that, I know the risks and fully accept them.

What I can't seem to so readily accept, is how many people (on this forum) that share my passion for motorcycles, are so quick to criticize and condemn those of us that ride with minimal gear, ride cruisers, or ride with louder than stock aftermarket exhaust. We are constantly referred to asshats, and again I could less.

I did however found it ironic that a top engineer for a brand which is revered by the intelligentsia likes to occasionally ride a open piped cruiser with no gear and without the context of who he is or where he works would likely be labeled a poser and I wondered if others saw the irony.

In defense of the members here, you guys have been fairly consistent in that some say wear and ride and what you want and others claim poser if one wears a particular "costume".
Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #96
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMZMZM View Post
Smart riders will select the proper machine and safety equipment for their intended purposes.

Riders with less knowledge will either improve their knowledge or improve the gene pool.
So you believe the engineer in the interview to be either not a smart rider, or a rider with less knowledge?

Why can't he just be a guy that likes to take risks, like the mountain climber, skydiver or whitewaer kayaker? Isn't that what a lot or motorcycling is about.....risks vs. rewards?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #97
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Not true. I ride my K1100LT without a helmet because it's an awesome bike for that and provides great protection from the wind/bugs. (A few bugs sneak over the windscreen but a bandanna on the forehead takes care of that.) I wouldn't ride any of my other bike without a FF helmet because of the wind/bugs.

But you are not matching the bike to the gear, or lack of for fashion, you are doing it for practical reasons. Apples to oranges.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #98
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:

Oh, check it out, the guy is also an expert on the tactics of military equipment!

In the end, you're just another ADVRider with a garage full of unexciting bikes and no racing experience, who somehow is more knowledgeable than the professionals, and feels it is their responsibility to talk big like they know what's best and right for everyone else. You've ridden a lot of 150+ horsepower bikes around a track, presumably, given how much you know about them?
www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1666282,00.html

V-22 $67 million a piece in 2010 after billions in development costs.

CH 47 $35 million a piece in 2008 after nearly 50 years of amortization of development costs. Bell/Textron pitched a new composite bodied, fly by wire, improved power plant version as an alternative to the V-22.

Some things are drastically improved by the application of electronic/computer technology. Some things reach their ultimate potential at a lower level of technological development. A Marine with a Ka-Bar is a lot more effective than Woody Allen with a photon laser blaster.

Kenny Roberts on an RD 350 would probably leave most guys far behind on The Dragon even if they were riding the latest 1000cc techno rocket.

A man has to know his limitations, maybe you will develop the judgement to go with that big attitude some day.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #99
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:

A man has to know his limitations, maybe you will develop the judgement to go with that big attitude some day.

Just one more dig and I swear I'm done...

Yeah, but sadly, that's illegal. :-(

In Tennessee anyway...

Quote:
55-10-602. Public policy.

It is declared to be the policy of this state to:

(1) Provide maximum safety for all persons who travel or otherwise use the public highways of the state;

(2) Deny the privilege of operating motor vehicles on public highways to persons who by their conduct and record have demonstrated their indifference to the safety and welfare of others and their disrespect for the laws of the state; and

(3) Discourage repetition of unlawful acts by individuals against the peace and dignity of this state and its political subdivisions, and to impose the added deprivation of the privilege of operating motor vehicles upon habitual offenders who have been convicted repeatedly of violations of laws involving the operation of motor vehicles.

Quote:
55-8-152. Speed limits -- Penalties.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (c), it is unlawful for any person to operate or drive a motor vehicle upon any highway or public road of this state in excess of sixty-five miles per hour (65 mph).

(b) "Truck," as used in this section, means any motor vehicle of one and one-half (1 1/2) ton rated capacity or more.

(c) On all controlled-access highways with four (4) or more lanes, which are designated as being on the state system of highways or the state system of interstate highways, it is unlawful for any person to operate or drive a motor vehicle or a truck at a rate of speed in excess of seventy miles per hour (70 mph). In the left-hand lane of all controlled-access highways with four (4) or more lanes, which are designated as being on the state system of highways or the state system of interstate highways, it is unlawful for any person to operate or drive a motor vehicle at a rate of speed less than fifty-five miles per hour (55 mph).
We'll make sure we can sell you a 150hp motorcycle tho...

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #100
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

Not disagreeing with what you saying, just something to think about,

I am a professional CDL driver, and I feel the best way to "let" a faster rider pass is to do nothing unless necessary, yet you disagree.

A persons opinion is built on experiences from their perspective. there are questions like this one where there isn't one right answer for everyone.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #101
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Not disagreeing with what you saying, just something to think about,

I am a professional CDL driver, and I feel the best way to "let" a faster rider pass is to do nothing unless necessary, yet you disagree.

A persons opinion is built on experiences from their perspective. there are questions like this one where there isn't one right answer for everyone.

Finally, someone posts a RATIONAL post.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #102
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Say... are you a turtle?
You bet your sweet ass I am.

I'll still buy you a drink any day we cross paths
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #103
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 432
I don't care how anyone else is dressed, that is their choice.

I am very concerned about them crashing into me because they have been drinking and or just can't ride...

Don't forget ATGATT includes your choice of personal protection
Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #104
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Personally I dress for the potential crash, hence ATGATT. It's not about a look, the feel, or anything else - it's about not going to the ER again. People that say otherwise just haven't had a big enough accident to scare them into choosing the sane option of body armor.
The sane option doesn't involve motorcycles.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #105
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 878
It's just like when you meet a new girl. Do I wear one or not?
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote