Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
k12lts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
If you want to make your own, pull the hoses on the bike, measure the diameter and threads of the banjo bolts and fittings. Then carefully write down what fittings go where, the number you need and go to Advance Autozone and order Earl's brake line stuff. It'll take a few days to get in, assemble it and you'll be done.
I've also thought about taking old lines to a local hose shop and see if they can make them.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I fitted new pads and changed my brake fluid a couple of days ago - as an experiment I clamped the hose at the top, and the lever was rock hard.... then I clamped at the bottom of the hose and it was rock hard. With no clamp there is some softness in the lever. No real test with new pads of course, but I'm pretty confident there is no flex in my old rubber hoses. I might have to get my wife to recheck for me as I'm a bit weak - I tend to cry at sad movies.
Believe me, even new rubber lines give noticeably. There are reasons why most new bikes don't use them anymore.

I don't think clamping rubber brake lines is a good idea. I wonder if that was the start of some of the trouble I have been seeing with them?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Believe me, even new rubber lines give noticeably. There are reasons why most new bikes don't use them anymore.

I don't think clamping rubber brake lines is a good idea. I wonder if that was the start of some of the trouble I have been seeing with them?
That's what I was thinking...smashing the line flat enough to stop fluid transfer might result in the inner liner detaching from the outer. I bet the fluid gets black in a hurry after doing that.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
Do you have any proof of hose damage from clamping? In my job as a vehicle inspector I look closely at maybe 200 brake hoses a week - sure I fail quite a few, but seldom see that sort of damage. Of course that's what the safety inspection is for, to keep unsafe brake systems off our roads.

Went for a ride this morning and my brakes have firmed up nicely. I like a bit of flex in my lever - it gives feel to the brakes, and that's why rubber hoses are fitted to motor vehicles, rock hard levers and pedals give little feel. In the days of rod operated rear brakes we used to bend the rod of an over sensitive brake to give it more feel.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,202
Expanding brake line equals less feel, not more. Other than that, you are talking about the amount of hydraulic leverage. That's adjusted through varying the hydraulic leverage, not ballooning brake lines. At least that is the smart way to deal with it while keeping better feel and control at the lever regardless. .
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by k12lts View Post
I've also thought about taking old lines to a local hose shop and see if they can make them.
I've done that as well. My Airhead has lines made by a local hydraulic line shop. I just called the ones in the yellow pages and the 2nd or 3rd one said they'd give it a go. I can 1-2 finger the front brake. However, since finding the Earl's stuff, now I'd just figure out the thread pitch and diameter and make my own.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote