Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #4561
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
If I was in JD's riding boots I'd be loving it too. My kind of side trip.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #4562
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
The weather

is all over the place.

totally depending on which side of the ridge we were on,

and also changing with the elevation.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #4563
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We pass

some hunter's camps. They've got horses.

in and out of fog,

but at last, laying down some miles.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #4564
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We crest

Dry saddle. NOT dry AT ALL!

the air is full of mist. The road descending was pretty torn up, and on the right was a steep drop-off which was particularly disconcerting because with all the fog, it was a pure abyss.

but every once in a while, the fog would clear, and you'd catch a glimpse of this surreal Shangri-La. And I'd stop, and get my camera out, and wipe the mist off the lens, and raise the camera up, and by then it would be gone again.

now it's gone,

and then it's back again.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #4565
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Once we dropped

below the cloud ceiling it was easier to see,

(I think the microphone was affected by the moisture)

another little break to rearrange layers,

and then the sun finally came out for good.

really nice riding.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #4566
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Unfortunately

with the clouds lifting, we realized that the sun was getting low.

and while that made for nice light for pitchers,

it also meant that we'd have to start thinking about somewhere to throw down for the night.

What a great ride!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #4567
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Through some burnt

area,

a flat spot with some sweeping views. (Salmon Mountain overlook -- challenge point!)

It was hard to make forward progress 'cause you just wanted to stop and take it all in.

On one of our breaks, we'd checked the maps and found a campsite up the road,

it wasn't much further.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #4568
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had to stop

one last time for this familiar sign:

Stop and smell the flowers,

Then, giddy-up,

Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #4569
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We arrived

at Magruder Crossing campground right before dusk.

We gathered firewood, set up camp, did chores -- Just for the record, we've actually dropped French's mustard as a sponsor. It's the first time we've dropped a sponsor. They usually drop us.

but frankly, their chain-oiling system leaks. It's a mess... not as bad as the last chain oiler we had, but the cap doesn't seal. We tried to offer some product development insight. Showing how they could also market it as a survival tool -- when you clean the oily mess with a paper towel or napkin you can then use that to start your campfire, but they weren't too responsive. Who needs 'em?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #4570
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We threw together

a fabulous dinner of steak and potatoes with spinach and onion. We'd bought steak for dinner in Elk City but ended up not cooking it on acconna ruining our appetite with those ice cream cones. There was plenty of food for the three of us easy.

We spent a cozy evening by the campfire jawin' with JD and enjoying the stars. We had a visitor that kinda spooked us:

I tell you, those Idaho jackalopes are mighty skittish.

Stats for the day:

Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #4571
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Now you've done it. I need to plan a trip to Idaho someday.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #4572
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Now you've done it. I need to plan a trip to Idaho someday.
You won't regret it. Not for a minute.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #4573
vadose
Dirt Doc

Oddometer: 7
Thank You

Hi Dr. Rock and LDF,

Spent a lot of my free time over the last two weeks reading your entire The Mobius Trip RR. Just caught up! Can't find the words to fully express how much I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it; Thank You. I originally started reading it just because you were on DRZ's. Little did I then know ... .

FYI: I bought a stock 2008 DRZ400S just before Christmas. I really appreciate you posting your impressions of gear, tires, accessories, mods etc. -- especially the Sweet Checks. I think my K1200RS is going to feel neglected next summer.

Looking forward to continuing to follow your adventures!

Best wishes and safe riding,

Vadose

vadose screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 09:35 AM
vadose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #4574
bluemtnridr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hi Francine, Dave

Just wanted to tell you again what a good time I had in the wilds of Idaho with you guys. Great riding and awesome country to share not to mention a great meal cooked with fire.
I was relieved to see that Dave didn't post my tip over.Wasn't worried about broken levers,femurs or collarbones.....just Dave and that damn camera of his, he doesn't miss much.

Enjoying reliving the ride through your eyes and ears

JD
bluemtnridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #4575
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Dry Saddle

You did miss a good view when you were at Dry Buck with the clouds and all. Good thing I didn't meet you in Elk City or I would have suggested a short side trip to Burnt Knob Lookout, but after watching your struggles on the ATV/snowmobile trails earlier, good thing. The road to Burnt Knob is a rough one. Almost a two track goat trail! Have enjoyed following the Mobius.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178

TheAdmiral screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 08:49 AM
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote