Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #16
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96 View Post
I finally gave up and bought the right bike for the choir. Dirt bike, around town bike, and traveler (I am working on vintage now)
That was more or less my point. The average motorcyclist isn't going to have two or three bikes. The average motorcyclist has one bike, and because of that, these bikes just aren't practical to the average motorcyclist.

That Husky looks great!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well sure just ignore the best of the bunch the 690 SMC to make your point. The fact is, the DRZ, and WR make crappy SM's mainly because they have such shitty power to weight ratio's. As for Husky, if they truly have discontinued the 630 SM, it's probably because something else close to it is in the works and we'll see it when they finalize their street bike lineup.
Crappy SM's eh? Mine makes me smile everytime I ride it and I'm sure other WR and DRZ SM riders would agree. They aren't full blown race bikes, but that's part of the attraction for me. Id rather be riding than wrenching.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I bought one of the original SM's about 12 years ago. I was transfered to DC for a couple years as a temporary assignment. My company got me an apartment just off Pennslyvania Ave half way between the White House and the Capitol. I bought the bike to keep with me in town as transportation. It was fantastic! Handy like a scooter but fast so I could explore the southeast. And I did! That little supermoto made my life down there.

Basically the bike was an MZ Baghira enduro that the factory converted to a SM by shortening the suspension and changing the gearing. A 660 Yamaha motor in a MZ chromoly tube chassis with real nice italian parts like Marzocchi forks, Gramica brakes and even a WP shock. It was called a Street Moto. The result was a very fine street bike.

It made about 50 HP and had a top speed a little over 100mph. The weight was about 350lbs fully wet. I put 12k miles on that bike over about 3 years and then mothballed it. I only just sold it last March for the measley price of $2k.

I had to make room for another bike, but I was happy because the new buyer knew what a great bike it was.

What I loved about that bike was it's smooth and powerful motor, its supple suspension and how incredibly flickable she handled. What I didn't like was the 3 gallon fuel tank. I had to refuel about every 110 miles, which makes travelling a bit of chore.

It was clearly the very best urban motorcycle I've ever ridden. It made a great sound too. I should have kept it.

I love supermoto's, but for me the most practical bikes are dual sports, so that's what I ride. I put about 60k miles on my KTM 950 the past 6 seasons, and I recently acquired a Yam WR250R that I keep out west to explore with. I am about to sell the KTM and buy a new 2012 KTM 690R for my main ride. I set my dual sports up for travel and go long distances with them. The Yam was so good at it this last summer, I decided the twin was just too much metal. I am hoping the 690 will have a really fun motor like my MZ Baggy, with about the same weight as my Yam, yet have the 80mph cruising ability of my KTM twin.

I've had this sweet thing for 14 years. But it hasn't been ridden in 8. Talk about impractical!

Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Crappy SM's eh? Mine makes me smile everytime I ride it and I'm sure other WR and DRZ SM riders would agree. They aren't full blown race bikes, but that's part of the attraction for me. Id rather be riding than wrenching.
LOL, the Husky 630 and KTM 690 are not race bikes dude, you might want to do a little research. I HAD a SM'd DRZ 400E and while it was an OK bike, it can't come close to the fun that the 690 is. Almost the same weight and almost twice the power. The WR has even less power then the DRZ AND the same weight. I reckon the buying public kinda agree with my opinion seeings how nobody was buying them and they discontinued them.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
LOL, the Husky 630 and KTM 690 are not race bikes dude, you might want to do a little research. I HAD a SM'd DRZ 400E and while it was an OK bike, it can't come close to the fun that the 690 is. Almost the same weight and almost twice the power. The WR has even less power then the DRZ AND the same weight. I reckon the buying public kinda agree with my opinion seeings how nobody was buying them and they discontinued them.
LOL, how much power do I need on the street to still have fun? So, I can get up to 60mph a second or two quicker on the bigger bikes, big deal. Not everybody craves lots of horsepower, otherwise we'd all be on 1000cc sport bikes. If you like the bigger SM bikes, that's fine, but don't bag on the smaller bikes.

And I can pretty much bet that more WR250X's and DRZ400's sold than the Husky and KTM's equivalents.... but companies like Yamaha and Suzuki sell way more sport bikes and cruisers, so that's what they focus on.... Husky and KTM have a different philosophy and fill these smaller niches.

Oh, and the dual sport equivalents of the WR250X and DRZ400SM sell very well.... its just the supermoto version that didn't.... more evidence that it's really the supermoto niche that's not really taking off here in the US like it has overseas, and not the bikes themselves. The WR250R and DRZ400S dual sport bikes have a cult following for dual sport and adventure riders, to the bikes themselves are very popular.

GotMojo? screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 07:37 AM
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
LOL, how much power do I need on the street to still have fun? So, I can get up to 60mph a second or two quicker on the bigger bikes, big deal. Not everybody craves lots of horsepower, otherwise we'd all be on 1000cc sport bikes. If you like the bigger SM bikes, that's fine, but don't bag on the smaller bikes.
HP isn't all about top speed.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
My (not so)supermoto is going ... to work. I never carry a pillion, never need to transport anything that won't fit in a small waterproof backpack, never need to go faster than about 75mph, and don't need to accelerate quicker than your average muscle car (0-60 in less than 5 sec on the DR650, FMF/airbox/jetted). My stripped-down DR650 (346 pounds with 5gal of fuel) is light, nimble, low maintenance, indestructible, easy on gas, perfect for low speed rough urban roads (sticky tires, plenty of suspension travel), adequate passing power even at 75mph, and has an upright riding position for good visibility in traffic. $65 per year full coverage insurance. A Laminar Lip windscreen makes the freeway segment more pleasant. I park inside my building at work -- free covered parking! I would like to have a better front brake than the stock DR -- planning to try a braided line and (if necessary) a 320mm rotor.

As a purely practical matter, it saves me $1000/yr on fuel, and it also makes my 18-mile commute a bit of fun instead of just a slog in my truck.

ALL motorcycles are limited-use vehicles. My homebrew sm is a great urban commuter. It wouldn't be my first choice for a x-country ride, but if I felt like going around the continent, I wouldn't hesitate to go on the DR, with either the sm or dirt wheelset. It doesn't have 50hp, but any cage that leaves the stoplight quicker than I do isn't going to impede my commute anyway.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
grinder96 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Wow, quite the debate.....

I don't think I meant for this to define what a SM should be or the horsepower they should make. That will change from person to person depending on one's own needs/wants! Bikes are fun from a DR200 to a KTM 990 to my son's XR80 to the Ducati. They all have different characteristics, purposes and looks. All the bikes I have owned have put a smile on my face. I just have to admit the SM's have put that extra Mona lisa smirk at the end of my existing smile!!

Yes, through reading your posts I get that a one bike stable may not choose a SM as the most versatile choice of bike, but most people I know have at least two and I would think the SM would be the second (maybe third) choice. I guess I am one of the small percentage of people in love with the SM market...
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
grinder96 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

...... I put about 60k miles on my KTM 950 the past 6 seasons, and I recently acquired a Yam WR250R that I keep out west to explore with. I am about to sell the KTM ...........

I've had this sweet thing for 14 years. But it hasn't been ridden in 8. Talk about impractical!

Get that Duc rolling!!!

I have a ST4s that I keep trying to sell but two thinks stop me:
A) I can't get sh!t for it...too much bike for very little money
B) every time I throw a leg over it I fall in love with that torquey 100+ horsepower twin and the narrow, flickable body......mmmmmmmMMMMMM..with bags no less

PM me details on the KTM....I'm looking for a 950/990 ADV to add to my collection!!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,265
one thing that would sell a ton more is drop height.
35" seat height on a street bike?
drop down 2-3 inches, that would still give 7-8" of ground clearance/travel and improve street dirt road handling. easier turn transitions, easier sliding on dirt, OK so less good on big air jumps.

unless a rider is used to 35"seat height via a dirt background, it scares the hell out of many street riders. the small bores mentioned are bought be many new riders, height is bad for them.

going with a lower pipe would help handling as well, since they are quite heavy, get the weight low.

Bike Mfr are dumb as hell sometimes. I should be paid big bucks by these dumb bastards to tell them why their shit doesnt sell. but it would never get past the suit committee.
Dont get me started on the stink bug rear ends on dually bikes that imitate sport bikes.....
Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I'm having a hard time getting into the supermoto thing? I got a drz400s and put 17s on it because I rarely go off road anymore thinking it would make a fun local bike. The fact is, it just doesn't have enough power to be much fun and isn't comfortable much over 55mph for any time/distance no matter how twisty the road is. This plus no wind protection or real storage options make it pretty unpractical and unfun. Still I'm not giving up yet and plan to hot rod the motor for some power but it just will never be a do-all bike. It really does need to be a second or third bike and that's what keeps sales low imho.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
a few minutes worth of good reasons for urban supermotos

Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #28
grinder96 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
Exactly!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

they are probably the most practical city motorcycles made.
Ditto. In town riding, what more do you need than something nimble and quick.

A 630 SM would do me proud on the street and for trackdays. I'm not concerned with top speed, but handling. For me, 100 bhp is enough. Less so much the better - allows me to really use all the bike has to offer.

Weigh the costs into it and it's amazing what you get for the money and the insurance is a joke.

I'm lining up for a 570 and a 450X, far more fun.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

SQD8R screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 06:28 PM
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,617
Their popularity seems to have faded a bit. I was really into them about 10 years ago. I like my 18r and 21 inch wheels just fine for my old XT. I can get Avon distansias and call it my supermoto. Or IRC GP 110's and it's my dual sport which I like a bit better than supermoto. Big singles vibrate too so long road trips aren't any fun.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote