Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #4576
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2011. M8-day#11

It was another frosty morning.

The good thing about camping next to a stream is that it's warmer and more protected than up on the ridge, the bad thing it that it takes forever for the sun to shine into the valley.

Today we'd continue east into Montana for a bit, before heading south past Shoup for gas, and then maybe all the way to Challis. There's be a bunch of challenge points, provided we had access and the roads weren't closed on aconna fires. Otherwise...

We crested three big elevations, over 220miles, as you can see.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4577
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Now you've done it. I need to plan a trip to Idaho someday.
Yes he has ... And yes, you do.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #4578
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It looked to be

a fantastic riding day. We decided to skip the next challenge point -- "Tough Creek"... which looked to be another Bower Creek-type quagmire. There were signs posted at the trail head that said that it was closed to everything but snowmobiles starting Sept. 15th. We'd already pushed our luck, and so we plotted a go-around.

before long, we'd crested

a short paved transit...

past this reservoir,

we stopped to use some facilities.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #4579
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were excited

to get back onto some dirt, JD was going to ride the next section with us and then split. Unfortunately, before things got good again...

JD & LDF rode around this barricade and across the bridge to chat with the Forest Service guys to see if they had any advice how to get around, or how much of the road was closed, and the guy in charge was a total dick.

We gathered in the shade on the near side of the bridge, and broke out the topo maps. After the crew boss left, this guy walked over and apologized and really tried to be helpful. For that he earned a Mobius token of appreciation:

Which is a pin from either the NYPD or FDNY, proceeds of which go to the UFA Widows & Children's Fund. Anyway, he was psych'd, and we left with a warm fuzzy instead of a buzz-kill.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #4580
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We headed back

into Montana,

and were forced to loop way around

Pleasant-enough riding,

but with one wimped-out and one denied challenge point, we were getting a little frustrated.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #4581
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our go-around

took us all the way back north-east to Connor, were we picked up 93, and then headed south. Pavement, cars, trucks and buses. Whattaya gonna do? When the going gets cushy, the cushy get LUNCH! So that's what we did.

We'd stopped for gas, and decided to have a farewell to JD lunch. He was going to ride south a little further with us, then we would turn back into the woods to reconvene with the TID trail near Shoup.

We held his Mobius graduation ceremony before we saddled up,

rolled back into Idaho,

and then at North Fork, we topped off, and waved bye to JD.

Great riding with you... See you down the trail, JD!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #4582
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Skip this story

if you don't want to be depressed. There was a little bit of drama at the North Fork Sinclair station. I was sitting on my bike, filling Blueberry, when a woman leapt out of her car and screamed "he's going to kill her"!!! "Stop him!!!" "Nooooo."

I had the earplugs in, and helmet on, and I'm looking around trying to figure out what on earth she was screaming about. I could hear a dog yelping and looked over my shoulder to see a pickup truck spinning gravel out of the parking lot of the gas station with a dog on a leash bouncing behind the tailgate. I hand LDF the gas pump, screw on my gas cap, fire up my bike, and start chasing him down. It was not pretty. About 100 yards away, and before I could catch him he stopped, and was out of the pick-up tending to the dog, which seemed to still be alive, wimpering.

Not wanting to have to explain to authorities why I left the pump without paying for gas, and not wanting to give, (nor get) a pounding, I turned back and minded my business. By the time we finished pumping/paying for gas, the guy had left.

Just past the turn-off we saw a sign for a ranger station, and decided to stop in and see if we could gather intel about the forest fire situation where we were headed.

It looked like we'd be alright, at least as far as she had maps.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #4583
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little pavement,

where we got to see some mountain goats:

and into the hills

where eventually the road turned into easy dirt, and at Shoup (didn't stop)

we rejoined the TID route.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #4584
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Something was happening

it was really strange. Since Edmonton we'd been in pine forests and mountains. Over the course of today, we were visibly transitioning to high desert. Every mile you could perceive the change. It wasn't subtle at all. Like a line in the sand.

we turned left on Panther creek road, and it was along this stretch that the transition was complete.

Bam. Just like that. A different world.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #4585
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
it was really strange. Since Edmonton we'd been in pine forests and mountains. Over the course of today, we were visibly transitioning to high desert. Every mile you could perceive the change. It wasn't subtle at all. Like a line in the sand.

we turned left on Panther creek road, and it was along this stretch that the transition was complete.

Bam. Just like that. A different world.

Don't you remember how Oregon was???? Exactly the same as what you've just mentioned. I miss that down here in GA.

Thanks for the beautiful reminders!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #4586
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stopped

to check out the first campground on Panther Creek Rd.

Buggy. No water. Empty. Bad Juju:

There was another campground, Morgan flats not far ahead, so we decided to ride on to that one. No go. So it was up and over Morgan Summit,

(another challenge point)

Past a small housing development,

and on towards Morgan Creek.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #4587
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the bottom

of this hill,

was

we quickly set up camp,

put on our work gloves and started foraging for firewood. I'd been listening to some good tunes and for a second thought about putting my earbuds in while I walked around looking for firewood. SOoooo glad I didn't .

I crossed the road, and about halfway up the hill you see in the background,

As I'm reaching down to pick up some deadwood, I hear a rattle and hiss. I freeze, slowly stand, and back away. Whew.

The sun sets, and we eat and drink, and have a nice toasty campfire where we debrief the trip so far, and figure out what we want to do with our remaining ride. We're at this point a day's ride from Idaho Falls, so our choice is to continue to push hard to do as much of the TID route as possible (recognizing that there's no way we'll have time to finish even the abridged version we'd planned), or to just meander around and explore the area. We decided to sleep on it.

Stats for the day:

2 two too many miles of pavement.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 03:06 PM
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #4588
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Oh man! Close call!

Too bad you didn't get a good picture of the rattler. That would have been cool!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #4589
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Too bad you didn't get a good picture of the rattler. That would have been cool!

I figure Doc was at too high an altitude for pics.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #4590
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Never saw it, just heard it. It was under a rock ledge / prolly in a hole. Didn't have my camera. Wasn't gonna stick around, or go back. Thanked my lucky stars.