Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #4606
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,428
(I brought along some friends for this episode...)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #4607
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Full-blown

panic attack meltdown. ++

and I'm not being very sympathetic. It took me a minute to recognize this wasn't the more common... "I can't do it / I can do it" monolog she does routinely...

I apologize for the differences in volume -- to be able to hear her, my voice is way too loud, but it's worth it.

"I don't know how I'm going to get off this mountain" and,

"I'm gonna to throw up"

Fortunately, only few minutes later after hiking to the top, and regaining a sense of equilibrium...

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 01:04 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #4608
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #4609
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,702
Thumb Awesome!!!1

Way to go LDF. Lovin it
The trail beckons
Ride on!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #4610
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Way to go Francine!

I thought there might be another Massacre coming.
Good recovery

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #4611
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The highs

and lows

of Adventure travel.

We debated posting that vid, but I think it's illustrative of what it's like to travel together not just as a couple, but with anyone.

I don't think SHE fully appreciated the cumulative affect of 12 days mostly camping, and nearly 2000 miles of 400cc thumper dirt.

I mean, on the surface of it, there's absolutely no good reason to lose it...

The bikes are humming, we're not that far from civilization, we're well fed, rested, the weather is fantastic, the scenery is absolutely stunning.

And yet...

Cumulatively, little things take their toll.

The constant concentration while riding and dealing with navigation, the pounding the bodies and bikes take, the low level of anxiety finding gas, food, shelter,

worrying about the weather, listening for new rattles and squeaks, avoiding forest fires, go-arounds,

and all the while, trying to be a good sport, and not let your riding partner down, keeping up, or on the other side, trying not to push your partner too far, constantly evaluating morale and mood.

Even when you've been together for 15 years, and are both generally easy-going people who are willing to meet halfway with almost any conflict... still, every once in awhile we miss the mark. By a long shot.

The good news is that it all blows over, quickly too, and we didn't burn any bridges, or say or do anything we will regret or pay forever for, and we're laughing about it now. But man, shit happens.

And for the record, I wasn't recording the meltdown intentionally, I just got wrapped up in our conversation and forgot to turn the helmet cam off.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #4612
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I shot

a couple of massive 180 degree panos. Click on the images, it'll open a new window, and then click on that image for full size... then scroll around and enjoy the views.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #4613
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back down at the bikes,

we suited back up.

and coasted (at least I did) down.

And without any more drama, we were back down into the treeline. As I looked back up at the lookout tower, I noticed that the moon was rising right above it. Cool.

zoomed,

It certainly is a special place. We passed an old prospectors cabin,

and sailed back down into civilization.

Challis. Gas. Groceries. Subway sandwiches. A stop at the mayor's,

(he owns the liquor store). and then rolled outa' dodge.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #4614
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before we left Challis

we sat down with the Benchmark atlas, and scouted out a new route. The TID had a blue and red section coming up, and we were done. We'd decided to just explore on our own for a couple of days, look for easy dirt, and take it easy.

The route we'd mapped followed the TID route out of town, up until this point where the TID route went left (doesn't look promising):

possibly illegal? And we went right on the

which sounded cool,

and turned out to be

just the ticket, with historic sights,

an' easy ridin'

a recap:

Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #4615
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We cleared

all smiles,

and stopped at some of the settler trail historic waypoints. This one was staffed:

Seen better days... the barn:

It was just a really pretty ride.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #4616
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Where the ghosts live

and the ghost town:

We didn't get off our bikes -- we were trying to make the pilot car and find a campground before dark.

There was a dredge too.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #4617
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We caught up

to the guy who passed us. Turns out he was riding a Super Tenere. He loved it. We chatted while we waited for the pilot car.

Unfortunately, all the campgrounds were along the construction zone, and were closed for the season. So we continued on a ways, and found the next one, Upper O'brien.

It was pretty awesome. Right on the river, plenty of firewood, and we were the only ones there.

The chipolte pork loin was one of the absolute BEST camp meals we've ever eaten,

and neither of us got salmonella or trichinosis, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob, or any other diseases as far as we know.

Stats on the day:

Another good one for the books.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 06:39 AM
Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #4618
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Outstanding RR!

...LDF, after the White Rim Trail and the TAT through Colorado I am surprised you're still intimidated by these steep trails.....
Well it looks like it WAS worth it! Fantastic 360 degree views!! Bucket List +1, 2, and 3! (gotta take the bike out for TID soon!)

Go Dr. Rock and LDF !!!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #4619
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,000
Was the cabin on Twin Peaks unoccupied? There was a ranger living there when I went up there.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #4620
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Was the cabin on Twin Peaks unoccupied? There was a ranger living there when I went up there.