Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Crossing New Mexico on a dr350

I found myself with 18 days to kill starting the first week of august. Determined to escape the Texas heat, I decided a retreat to the mountains of New Mexico was in order. I have access to a cabin in Ruidoso that would serve as my home base for the ride and would allow storage of my truck for the 10 days I planned to be on the bike. After very little preparation and packing, I loaded my '98 dirt model dr350 and headed to NM, taking a slight detour through cloudcroft to enjoy the mountain air. After a couple of nights relaxing at the cabin, I overloaded my dr350 and headed north. I have a buddy in Taos who owns a first rate mineral springs resort in Ojo Caliente...about 40 miles southwest of Taos. I would ride to Ojo Caliente where he would join me for a 2 day ride north into the vast national forest surrounding the resort. SHAMELESS PLUG: the spa/resort is surrounded by national forest and accessable by BLM roads...it serves as an excellent destination or home-base for adventure riding.--

I cut the 400 mile trip north in half, staying the night in the posh motel 6 in albequerque

The trip consisted of mostly gravel county roads and forest service roads. Fuel was a concern since my bike sported the stock tank, so I opted for an "auxiliary tank" strapped to the bars. I actually assumed that some of these smaller towns would have fuel but it was not the case. I stretched my range to about 190 miles between stops and got a consistant 70mpg! This is a lonely stretch of gravel somewhere between capitan and Ancho

yater screwed with this post 08-26-2005 at 01:52 PM
yater is offline   Reply With Quote