User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #4621
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
LDF said it was ok, didn't she?

I only chuckled during the Twin Peaks L.O. dismount video because of the LDF disclaimer. Otherwise I would have watched with a stern look on my face. I'm really glad you didn't take a side trip to Burnt Knob L.O. when you were on the Magruder. I'm scared of heights, but love riding to the lookouts with white knuckled kung foo grip. Then let out a big sigh of relief when I get back down, so I get it LDF.

First time I was in Custer and the motorway was back in 74-75 as a kid with my grandparents. Been back there many times since. I'm glad you were able to fit that bit of road in your travels.

Wonderful ride.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #4622
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
>"It was a Wednesday "

Hmmm... I guess there are no fires on Tuesday or Wednesday?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #4623
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"It was a Wednesday "

Hmmm... I guess there are no fires on Tuesday or Wednesday?
Correct. As per U.S. Federal budget regulations 27B-6. No fires on Tuesday or Wednesday.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #4624
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,082
Or after midnight on overtime days.

BTW, I guess you know LDF is gonna rat you out the first time you run away squealing from a mouse or a mugger!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #4625
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Correct. As per U.S. Federal budget regulations 27B-6. No fires on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #4626
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I've really enjoyed this. Truly a first class report. I like the way you've shared the lows as well as the highs with us, both literally and metaphorically.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #4627
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thursday, Sept. 22, 2011. M8-day#13

Today's plan was just to enjoy ourselves. No challenge points, just seeking out easy dirt roads that would put us in the direction of Arco. In fact, we were going to make an effort to actually avoid the TID route, if possible.

We would start out on a short paved connector, fillup with gas, then take Spar Canyon road to 93 which we'd follow for awhile before cutting over on Double Spring Creek road into the Pashmeroi / Little Lost Creek valley, and then find our way over or around to Arco.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #4628
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,050
Getting closer ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #4629
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were getting to the stage

in this trip, where we're dragging ourselves out of bed in the morning.

Taking our time, making a second pot of coffee. , and best of all, not stressing at getting a late start, worrying that we're not going to make enough miles to reach our destination.

There was a dirt road that went down and followed the river on this side that looked like it might meet up with the paved road after a few miles, so we decided to explore.

Shortly after that vid, we ran into a locked gate, and had to turn around and backtrack. No biggie.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #4630
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We waved goodbye

to

crossed the bridge back over the river onto 75, and started chewing up some pavement.

it was nice riding for awhile,

but then it got extremely technical. I mean, more difficult than almost anything we'd ridden so far. LDF sailed right through, but I stopped to pick my line, and fully document the ugliness of the terrain.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #4631
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Of course,

the usual disclaimers apply: It was steeper and looser and deeper and etc, than it looks in the photos.

Here it is zoomed in, so you can better appreciate the challenge.

Risking recording my own demise, I let the camera roll while I tackled the section:

Yeah!!! Fist pump!
[edit: is there really NO fist-pump smilie?]
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #4632
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It wasn't much

pavement; while we had to wait a few minutes for a pilot car to take us past some roadwork, I busted out the IR camera:

we passed some metalic shiny gold-colored cliffs. Earth bling.

and as we were riding, I spied what might be a little short-cut:

I could get used to just following our noses and exploring.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #4633
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

Risking recording my own demise, I let the camera roll while I tackled the section:

Yeah!!! Fist pump!
[edit: is there really NO fist-pump smilie?]
good thing your on a dual sport bike
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #4634
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,050
You knew your experience and training and good gear would pay off one day ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #4635
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We found

Spar Canyon road, and it was just what the doctor ordered.

Wide, open, easy, beautiful.

It looked like the road ended in the rockface, and then we tucked into the canyon,

very cool.