Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #766
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Per RB -" Why did the british actor survived 3 days on Dakar - because his bike survived 3 days! why did Simon Pavey finished Dakar - because his bike finished the DAKAR!"

I thought CB didn't finish the DAKAR because he busted his hand, guess I missed something.
Broke one hand and dislocated the thumb on the other, then rode 250 miles to the end of the stage...ppffft, pussy
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #767
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Take it easy on RussianBear guys.
Too much vodka makes me stupid too.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #768
MrDrifter
Doesn't matter

Oddometer: 7
My Two Cents

Bill,

I did not read all of this thread, I started at page 31 I believe, but I have been following your blog.

Not that you care at all what I think or have to say, but here it is anyway.

I read your post about failure over the years and dealing with it and it made me feel that I should say something.

I've known you for what, ten years or so? and worked with you for most of those years. Over those years we haven't always seen eye to eye (lol, i can hear you saying "that's an understatement")

Anyway, regardless of work related "differences", there has always been something about you that I have admired, that is your work ethic and dedication. When you set your mind to something, you give it everything you have to make it a reality.

I may not know you as well as many of the people on this forum, but I know enough to know that you did everything you could to make this the best effort possible. You don't have to win or even finish the Dakar on your FIRST attempt to consider the effort a success. The success comes in the fact that you were there. YOU made that happen. Yes, you had supporters, but they did not know to support you until you let them know what you were attempting to do. This was a huge success and a moment to learn from and a life experience that you can take with you forever.

You are a racer at heart and not winning is hard to accept, but not finishing is a terrible thing for a racer to deal with, si I know it's eating you up. Or maybe by now you're over it, idk. I just say, try not to look at it like that. You haven't let anyone down and no one, especially if they've read your story, can say you didn't give it your best effort.

I even posted a comment on your blog about how your repairs and determination to keep the bike going, reminded me of our 24 Hours of Lemons race. lol. I was ready to park my car and call it quits. But not Bill, no way. It still cracks me up to this day that we finished that race in a 1983 BMW 320 with no left fender, no hood, no rear brakes, miss matched wheels, a radiator from a Chevy (mounted VERTICALLY) on the front of the car and a variety of hoses to link it all together. And that was a goofy race that we did just for fun. So I know, if you put that much effort into a car like that, for a race like that, then you put all that you could into this effort.

Pay no attention to some of the negative feedback on here, it's not worth it.

Learn from the experience. Love the fact that you had the opportunity to be a part of an event that so many people only get to dream of doing. Relish the memory of all the cool parts of what you saw and experienced and learn from the not so good parts. Maybe in 2013 you will find yourself in the Dakar again.

Great story writing by the way.

Jim
MrDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #769
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
I also want to hear the rest of the story. How did you get out of there, what did they do to the bike, how was transport put together, where did you go, how did they handle the paperwork, all that.

Anders
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #770
chainslap
BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer: 744
Dude. From where I'm standing, it's plain and simple.

You were too much man for that bike and it simply gave up to avoid the thrashing you were going to give it over the next several days.

Thanks for sharing your journey. Hope you have more in the future.
chainslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #771
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
I also want to hear the rest of the story. How did you get out of there, what did they do to the bike, how was transport put together, where did you go, how did they handle the paperwork, all that.

Anders
Helicopter extraction for the bike,.........new benchmark for you to aspire to!!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #772
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
I'll be happy to heli your bike out... are you ready to pay for it???

Anders
Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #773
CowboyKyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear View Post
cheers boys, swallow your pride, admit mistakes move on
In Russia... Pride swallow YOU!

:)

Great reading BC, thanks for sharing your experience. Although, I have to say, I feel a little insulted you consider it failing having accomplished being in something I will only ever dream of participating in. I would love to be able to be good enough, motivated enough, and determined enough to do what you've done so far... so if you're a failure, what the hell are the rest of us who never try! Man up... admit you're badass for going as far as you did.
CowboyKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #774
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrifter View Post
Bill,

I did not read all of this thread, I started at page 31 I believe, but I have been following your blog.

Not that you care at all what I think or have to say, but here it is anyway.

I read your post about failure over the years and dealing with it and it made me feel that I should say something.

I've known you for what, ten years or so? and worked with you for most of those years. Over those years we haven't always seen eye to eye (lol, i can hear you saying "that's an understatement")

Anyway, regardless of work related "differences", there has always been something about you that I have admired, that is your work ethic and dedication. When you set your mind to something, you give it everything you have to make it a reality.

I may not know you as well as many of the people on this forum, but I know enough to know that you did everything you could to make this the best effort possible. You don't have to win or even finish the Dakar on your FIRST attempt to consider the effort a success. The success comes in the fact that you were there. YOU made that happen. Yes, you had supporters, but they did not know to support you until you let them know what you were attempting to do. This was a huge success and a moment to learn from and a life experience that you can take with you forever.

You are a racer at heart and not winning is hard to accept, but not finishing is a terrible thing for a racer to deal with, si I know it's eating you up. Or maybe by now you're over it, idk. I just say, try not to look at it like that. You haven't let anyone down and no one, especially if they've read your story, can say you didn't give it your best effort.

I even posted a comment on your blog about how your repairs and determination to keep the bike going, reminded me of our 24 Hours of Lemons race. lol. I was ready to park my car and call it quits. But not Bill, no way. It still cracks me up to this day that we finished that race in a 1983 BMW 320 with no left fender, no hood, no rear brakes, miss matched wheels, a radiator from a Chevy (mounted VERTICALLY) on the front of the car and a variety of hoses to link it all together. And that was a goofy race that we did just for fun. So I know, if you put that much effort into a car like that, for a race like that, then you put all that you could into this effort.

Pay no attention to some of the negative feedback on here, it's not worth it.

Learn from the experience. Love the fact that you had the opportunity to be a part of an event that so many people only get to dream of doing. Relish the memory of all the cool parts of what you saw and experienced and learn from the not so good parts. Maybe in 2013 you will find yourself in the Dakar again.

Great story writing by the way.

Jim
Bill told me the story of the Lemons race and I'm glad you brought it up. Typical Bill. I've always been impressed with his finish at all costs attitude.

Here's to BC getting another shot at DAKAR!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #775
RussianBear

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'wester View Post
I would like to thank the Russian gentleman for his comments (even though they were rude and he spelled peppermint wrong). Because of the amount of traffic this thread has been receiving (no doubt to reply to him) we have continued to receive an amazing amount of donations and schwag store purchases over the past two days at BC2Dakar.com! This money will no doubt go to BC2Dakar 2013!
trying my best to keep this thread alive
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #776
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post

Anders

Me too! And your travels afterwards....its an experience, this dakar thing, and you have more to share than you realize!

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #777
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Hi Bill Enjoying the banter while doing my best to keep up a little. Have fun in Lima!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #778
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Bill told me the story of the Lemons race and I'm glad you brought it up. Typical Bill. I've always been impressed with his finish at all costs attitude.

Here's to BC getting another shot at DAKAR!

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #779
BC61 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Got up early this morning and headed over to Plaza De Armas for the podium finish. We watched every bike roll over. Congratulations Ned! Hopefully I can join you on the other side of the fence next year.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #780
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,334
Fantastic job, Bill- thanks for having us along for the ride.

I'm sorry the result wasn't everything you'd hoped for, but I'm willing to bet the experience had its share of rewards- I hope you feel the same. Just getting there makes you a hero in my book. Proud to fly the shirt and stickers, and looking forward to the next ones.

Hell, if it was easy fat posers like me would be doing it.

Cheers
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote