Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #4636
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We passed some wild horses

and sailed down to the next valley,

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #4637
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I wasn't worried. LDF, on the other hand, was a basket case*.

*That's not a dig. It's her role. The voice of reason. The articulator of the worst-case scenario. The worrier. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
I am surprised that this is the first we hear of this on this leg of Mobius. The 'perfect' campsite was on a flood plain. A rain up river could have resulted in certain drowning. Not to mention the fact that it is in the middle of grizzly bear and cougar country. Cougars find people delicious.

When I did not read of any concern from LDF, I thought to myself, "Wow, LDF is turning into a true outdoorswoman, ready to take on anything."

or should I not mention the whole bear, cougar, flood plain thing???

Lovin the update.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #4638
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before getting to pavement,

we stopped to use the "facilities"

I had to stand guard. "is anybody coming???" and if they are?

Heading south down the valley on US 93,

we crossed over the TID route:

instead, we continued on pavement another mile + .5 and turned left on the slightly wider, better groomed Double Spring Creek rd. A few miles up we came to the

Called the Borah Peak earthquake, see and hear more:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #4639
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Double Spring Pass

road was a high-speed hoot.

past the pass

now we were again on the TID route, but we skipped the out and back to see the Pashmeroi headwaters,

We crossed a sign that marked where the Pashmeroi river would be if there was any water in it.

and cruised on down the Little Lost River road.

the TID route was paralleling us over on the right on some clearly spectacular farm road two-track.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #4640
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We pulled off

to defleece, hydrate and snack at

not a good idea... there was a ton of bird shit on the picnic table, and something seriously large had died in the creek.

We didn't see what it was, but from the smell I'm thinkin' elephant or whale.

we didn't stay long.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #4641
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The road turned paved

and we had a choice to stay on it and ride around the range to the right, or jump back on the TID route and go up and over... we were making good time, feeling all right, so...

Soon we were out of sight of any fencelines and tarmac,

and climbing into the hills.

We grabbed a challenge point at

just for old time's sake, and since that was very doable and pleasant blue-rated trail, we thought about grabbing the Beaverland Pass treasure box, just 'cause it was SO close...

Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #4642
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Descending Arco Pass

I was thinking, "this could be the last challenging, technical riding on Mobius-8..."

Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #4643
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Below us

in the valley was the intersection to either continue down into the valley to Arco, or to turn right to go up and over Beaverland pass and down into Arco. I convinced LDF to try the pass with the absolute promise that if it got gnarly we'd turn back, no if's and's or but's.

there was a side road that went to an arch. We didn't take it, 'cause it would be a hike, and it was getting late, and we didn't even see it from the side of the road, but I blew up this photo, and I think I can see it there:

About a quarter of the way up, just to the left of center?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #4644
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Through a gate,

the trail narrowed, and got significantly steeper. From the GPS, I could tell we were REALLY close to the top... but the other shoe dropped, and I didn't argue one bit. We had a deal.

It was doable if we didn't have any other option, but we did, and it was only a mile or so back to the intersection.

I think LDF expected a bigger argument out of me for turning around, but we were just playing. If it's not fun, then you're not having fun!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #4645
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Closer to town,

we spied the Class painted graffiti mountain:

Arco is also the home of the cow-tipping championships each June. We debated staying in town, or pushing on to Craters of the Moon and camping.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #4646
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We gave Arco

a quick once-over,

gassed up, picked up some provisions,

and blasted out on US 20 to Craters of the Moon National Monument.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #4647
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There was a bit

of a scramble to grab an open campsite, figure out that campfires were banned,

hustle back to the info station to buy charcoal from the rangers just as they were closing up,

and then set up camp / cocktails / appetizers, and chill.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #4648
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We met our camp

neighbors -- a nice guy riding a FJR,

And a young lady traveling solo (by car) from somewhere in the midwest -- Kansas (?) to L.A. with her dog.

(pic from the next morning)

We shared some food,

and drink (I have a hard time believing THIS is a marketing spin -- next they'll be calling it "healthy")

-- we mixed this with the last of our bourbon, she contributed a bottle of red wine... and enjoyed chatting with them as the stars came out:

stats for the day:

I don't think we'd made our 200 mile / day quota since leaving Canada.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #4649
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
"It's a pretty cool State, this Idaho.."

I concur!
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #4650
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449