User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,291
Ok I am putting new pipes on my 2 stroke

So I got some Moto Carerra pipes, so do I need to change the exhaust, gaskets or just use the stock ones ( there are 2)

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,350
On my rd350, I've had both DGs and specIIs. I never used the donut gaskets, as their ID is a bit smaller than the exhaust port, and the bolt on flange. I have always just used the copper RTV, and it has always worked great. It has never blown out, as you might think it would. I squirt the stuff in the recess around the exhaust port before bolting on the flange. Then I bolt on the flange, an then reach in to the stub and smooth it all out. Then you need to use the same stuff on the slip joints where the pipe slides on to the stub. That's where they leak, and I have to renew that about once a month, or your engine will be covered in slimy, sooty ooze.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
On my rd350, I've had both DGs and specIIs. I never used the donut gaskets, as their ID is a bit smaller than the exhaust port, and the bolt on flange. I have always just used the copper RTV, and it has always worked great. It has never blown out, as you might think it would. I squirt the stuff in the recess around the exhaust port before bolting on the flange. Then I bolt on the flange, an then reach in to the stub and smooth it all out. Then you need to use the same stuff on the slip joints where the pipe slides on to the stub. That's where they leak, and I have to renew that about once a month, or your engine will be covered in slimy, sooty ooze.

Hewy thank you, the ipes I have are only a 2 piece where the springs pull the pipe into the flange, that bolts to he cyclinders

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Where'd you score MC pipes? I had early specII pipes on my RD. It was a total light switch.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
Where'd you score MC pipes? I had early specII pipes on my RD. It was a total light switch.

On another site for 2 strokes 300 for them they are in great shape they still make them several people do but they are 600-700

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower View Post
Hewy thank you, the ipes I have are only a 2 piece where the springs pull the pipe into the flange, that bolts to he cyclinders
I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. Your pipes bolt on the same way as mine. There is a bolt on flange, which bolts to the cylinder. The pipe slips onto this flange and is held in place by springs. If you take a new exhaust donut seal, the metal/fiber one that crushes slightly when the flange is tightened, and put it into the recess in the exhaust port of the cylinder, you'll see that its ID is smaller than the exhaust port. That's why you shouldn't use it. It was meant to work with the stock pipes. Just smear the copper RTV in there. Sounds like you scored on those pipes. They're beautiful. Someone posted on 2 stroke world, a dyno test of specIIs vs MC millenniums. The MC's had a higher peak HP, and revved to the moon, but the SpecIIs had considerably more below 9K. Good luck. Have fun, and be patient when jetting it all in.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,439
RD400F's (daytona model) had a block that bolted to the cyls with a flapper valve for emmision reduction. Does yours still have this?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebye View Post
RD400F's (daytona model) had a block that bolted to the cyls with a flapper valve for emmision reduction. Does yours still have this?

Yes it will be soon sitting in the parts box, with the stock carbs , I went Dualit ( go to JM and read about toasters ) and got me some Mikuni TM flat slides 28 mm .

I told the guys at Sudco what I had on my bike and they gave me a baseline set up hope it is good they do know carbs

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Shocktower OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. Your pipes bolt on the same way as mine. There is a bolt on flange, which bolts to the cylinder. The pipe slips onto this flange and is held in place by springs. If you take a new exhaust donut seal, the metal/fiber one that crushes slightly when the flange is tightened, and put it into the recess in the exhaust port of the cylinder, you'll see that its ID is smaller than the exhaust port. That's why you shouldn't use it. It was meant to work with the stock pipes. Just smear the copper RTV in there. Sounds like you scored on those pipes. They're beautiful. Someone posted on 2 stroke world, a dyno test of specIIs vs MC millenniums. The MC's had a higher peak HP, and revved to the moon, but the SpecIIs had considerably more below 9K. Good luck. Have fun, and be patient when jetting it all in.
I hear ya the stockers where 3 piece got confused a bit

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona