Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #4651
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,033
You're making me homesick for Idaho, Doc. And I live here.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #4652
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
You're making me homesick for Idaho, Doc. And I live here.
Ain't that the truth! I love the country you've been through and cherish every opportunity I have to return. You saw so much, and yet missed so much more!
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #4653
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Ain't that the truth! I love the country you've been through and cherish every opportunity I have to return. You saw so much, and yet missed so much more!
Well... we'll be back in May, and again in Sept.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #4654
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Friday, Sept. 23, 2011. M8-day#14

So the plan today was to do some hiking and explore Craters of the Moon. There was a free ranger-guided hike that went down into the caves, and before that started we were going to ride the bikes around the sightseeing loop. We only had about 80 miles to get to Idaho Falls, and since Questor & MAG were on their own trip, we'd tentatively planned on arriving later in the day.

The morning light was fantastic,

and we enjoyed the quiet, no rushing allowed.

Noticing details,

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #4655
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Not much

moto-content, we were just kicking back,

slowly packing up,

and enjoying the surroundings,

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #4656
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We drove the loop,

stopping to hike in to the marked attractions. Check out this signage. Talk about nanny-state. ALL this info for a "trail" that's actually easier than walking from an SUV, across a parking lot into a WalMart? Jeez.

Depressing. And a WARNING to boot!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #4657
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The snow cone

is a cinder cone, accessed at the end of a 247ft treacherous trail,

where you can peer down inside, and see snow year-round, along with a straw hat, and some other garbage.

You also get some pretty cool views of the landscape:

Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #4658
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were a little early

for the hike,

so we just hung out and tried to get into the vibe of the place.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #4659
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Cooool, *loved* that Twin Peaks scenery

Francine, you're a damn good sport. You da' man, lady!

Boy, good thing that 75m sidewalk was clearly labelled. Were you able to hire good Sherpas?

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #4660
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The hike started

a few other people showed up. The guide was kind of goofy, but sweet.

If we had to do it again, I think we'd just have done a self-guided walk. But we got to go down into the caves, and I don't like caves, so it was good to be there with someone who knew what was safe. I presume, anyway.

That's HDR, btw. Capturing the dynamic range with one image is tough -- the sun is so bright, and the caves are so dark, there's just no other way, but the colors of the lichen and moss and weathering on the lava are exquisite. I was looking forward to doing some long exposures and light painting once we got inside.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #4661
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I worked on this one

a lot to get it to look the way it appeared in reality.

emerging out the other end of the first lava tube

Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #4662
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,255
Enjoying the report Doc and LDF. Thanks for taking us along.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #4663
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Access to the next one

again, HDR. These were both high-ceiling non-claustrophobic tubes. Only one place where you really had to squeeze a little bit.

LDF inserted for scale.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 08:04 AM
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #4664
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Detail

skylight,

me, for scale

the way out,

from above.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #4665
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More detail

up on the surface, the path is marked by these vertical sticks -- if you can't see the horizon, apparently it's very disorienting.

we had a little drama when the monkey ran away.

The last cave we went into was the narrowest, and darkest. Me no likey.