Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie View Post
Need some clarification. I am somewhat confused here. I always thought that -10 is for cold weather and -30 for hot. My thinking is that the ECU pumps in more fuel the colder the weather gets. Doesn't one need to adjust the temperature more as the weather gets hotter? I'm not sure what effect a small -10 adjustment would do if one were riding on 40 deg C weather.
First I believe the air density triggers more or less fuel [cold vs hot air] and your point is a good one...I know it is counter to what I hope for but hot, less dense air would require less fuel and fuel helps reduce cylinder temps; hence I want more fuel in hot weather not less to lower engine temps...but of course I could be totally wrong!

You mention -10 in 40 C temps..that is 104 F, damn warm. Exactly what the IICE does to fuel/air ratio at that -10 setting and at that air temp is a mystery to me...even though JJ once explained it to me I have gone blank...common malady! I am hoping it puts more fuel in than would otherwise be added at that temp.

As you point out there seems to be a disparity between -10 [hot] vs -30 [cold] and intuitively it should be reversed; lower temp reading in really hot weather [-30] to get more fuel to cool engine, even if cooling is not the primary objective.

Still do not have a clue how you would use the BP and IICE together. Or what the outcome would be.

Wallowa screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 10:50 AM