Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #61
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Not familiar with them, they do general bike rental? If so it might make sense for individuals to take care of the rental through them on their own. Then Jimmy could focus on the training itself and not have to worry about all these logistics?
Yes Doug, Admo Tours, here in Socal. I've rented bikes from them and their affiliates in four countries on four continents so far. I'd be shocked if Jimmy didn't know of them, but it seemd like a no-brainer to me. Don't know why they wouldn't be interested in this kind of thing. Riding with them on tuesday/wednesday this week, anybody want to go?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #62
SurlyPete
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Jimmy emailed me this link and I had to join up and subscribe. I had talked with Charlie about this some time back and really hope it can happen. I will be there!
SurlyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #63
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
Thanks for all the imput and ideas, and not surprisingly I have thought of most of it and understand the complications that go along with each idea. I have used bikes from Ad-Mo in the past and it was a bit difficult and priced above what guys would be willing to pay, at least it was for my general riding class.

Manufacturers have no interest in this statesside.

There is no money from sponsors even for guys who you may consider top riders either.

I have a good way to partner the training with higher lever guys and average level guys, as well as "fun" or "fan" participants so it mixes for both needs. Just looking at dates and still poking around for bikes.

Unfortunatily the bikes used for this get beat beyond what a most would consider acceptable for a loaner program. You know, "not my bike" mentality. But I'd make sure there was a credit card attached to it for sure...

Dates and a schedule soon. I just have to get through this King of the Motos race I'm putting on...

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #64
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,823
Jimmy,

Do you have ideas on how many days the training will be? I am starting to think it might make sense for me to drive out with my bike and make a longer vacation out of it. If the training is only a couple of days I would probably do some riding on my own. Or, even better if others taking the training want to spend a few extra days riding around the area that would be great.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #65
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,267
nice to hear some ideas are firming up in your head
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #66
J Lewis OP
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 502
Right now I'm thinking I want to make it 3 days in early May for the first class. Very similar to the way we teach our riding classes, I feel that hitting on the basics right from the start is the best way to get started, no matter the level of experience. That said, the more experienced can aid in helping the less experienced and even learn from it (I learn more from the questions I'm asked than anything else.) Doing this we can figure out where the beginning riders are at and at and see what the faster riders need to work on, as it will be sort of a practice run for them.

Rally School Part 1

Day 1:
Half-day going over basics/Half-day on the bike doing a simple rally stage.

Day 2:
Short re-cap from issues day 1 / Longer stage on bikes broken up depending on skill level. Likely a Bivauc for the fun of it. Evening breakdown of days lessons.

Day 3: Short stage to lunch break/ Discussion about lessons/ Finish stage.

My target dates as of now would be May 1,2,3 or 7,8,9 which is very near the Las Vegas final of the SX series and the first round of the Endurocross series as I will have to be at those events.

I still have not located any bike rentals and will have to wait for Dakar to finish to learn more about bike preperation for those really serious about having a bike set up following the classes. I have a very different aproach than most in regards to this as I feel that going on a very standard bike is the best way to do this but the 450cc rule is a little difficult for this process. I look at what Johnny Campbell (Honda XR650) did in 2001 and how Cyril Despres did the Dakar in 2000 (Honda XR400) as a very encouraging way to do the rally for your first time (or at least the first proper time.)

Cost is still TBD but the first round will not be that expensive when you consider the lessons you will learn.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #67
drc42
Rally Dreamer

I hope to still be able to work this in but looks like this might conflict with the Mexican 1000 which I am already entered in. Might have to see about just taking a longer vacation and do the Mexican 1000 and the training on the same trip (if you do the 7,8,9).
Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #68
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,231
Good chance I am going to sell my Safari prepped 690 this spring.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #69
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Good chance I am going to sell my Safari prepped 690 this spring.
The buyer just needs to go to Australia to get it

Just messing with you Seth, hope you were able to get it back into the country.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #70
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
The buyer just needs to go to Australia to get it

Just messing with you Seth, hope you were able to get it back into the country.

Nope. Should be back in the USA in about a week and should arrive back in Vermont just about the time I need to depart for South Carolina.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #71
skibum69
slave to gravity

with any luck my Dakar '08 prepped bike will be running in a "rally lite" sort of setup, don't know if I'll have the beans to ship though?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #72
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
with any luck my Dakar '08 prepped bike will be running in a "rally lite" sort of setup, don't know if I'll have the beans to ship though?
A couple of buddies of mine from around here ship their bikes ona slow boat (big rig, ground speed) to southern cal area. I think that particular ship has sailed this time, it usually goes early Jan and I'm not sure of the return date, but the cost was really minimal (couple hundred round trip.) Wish we could figure out a charter rig that could start on the east coast and maybe pick up bikes along the way, then fly out and meet it, and then re-deliver.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #73
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,398
Jimmy those dates are near both the Mexican 1000 and the Silverstate 300
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #74
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
A couple of buddies of mine from around here ship their bikes ona slow boat (big rig, ground speed) to southern cal area. I think that particular ship has sailed this time, it usually goes early Jan and I'm not sure of the return date, but the cost was really minimal (couple hundred round trip.) Wish we could figure out a charter rig that could start on the east coast and maybe pick up bikes along the way, then fly out and meet it, and then re-deliver.
I have a trucking company contact in Ontario that runs various routes US/Can for fairly reasonable rates, I can check for you?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #75
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
I have a trucking company contact in Ontario that runs various routes US/Can for fairly reasonable rates, I can check for you?
Thanks man, don't go out of your way... I'll ask my friend, too.. I'm almost back in the real world