Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #4666
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I made a few long-exposure

light painting images,

in the complete darkness. Then it was a quick bite of lunch, and back on the bikes.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #4667
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Good to know

about the compression brakes,

We were definitely in Idaho Falls,

across the river...

and after a few text messages, we were welcomed by the infamous

Q,

and A! They had just returned from their epic Big Empty Places trip hours earlier, so we had a lot of catching up, story swapping, route comparing, gear sorting, laundry washing, bike stowing and photo reviewing to do... So... with the bikes tucked away for the night,

we were treated to a fine dinner of barbeque ribs and corn and other yummy fixin's,

high quality adult beverages,

and even better company!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #4668
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stats and such

and the last day's route,

and elevations...

Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #4669
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Cry So sad this stage is over....

I really enjoyed folowing along and look forward to the next stage.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #4670
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
Ok... where is the next Mobius?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #4671
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
a quick once-over,

Arco is home to the old Naval Nuclear Reactor Training School and is part of a National Laboratory (https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/ser...unity/home/255). I actually worked on the refueling & overhaul of the SSN 666 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hawkbill_(SSN-666) ) in the 60's & 70's. Several shipyard workers in both Vallejo, CA & Bremerton, WA refused to step foot on the boat due to the "666". Reno Deano

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #4672
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Excellent chapter!!

Looking forward to the next one .
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #4673
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks,

yeah, we're looking forward to the next one too!

M9 will be May 11-28, Departing Idaho Falls and heading generally south into Utah, then West into Nevada, then North into Oregon, and then East (possibly doing the T2 tour of Idaho route) back to Idaho Falls. That's the tentative loop, we haven't started plotting specific routes yet, but we have all the Benchmark atlases, topo maps, and have bookmarked the ride reports that describe areas we'd like to explore. Because it'll still be a bit early in the season, we're going to stick to high plains / desert areas rather than high peaks and passes. Next September we're planning to head east and north to explore Wyoming & Montana.

Again, we're extending an open invitation to any ADV'ers who want to join any part of the Mobius 9 traveling circus. We've had a great time with everyone who has ridden with us, even the folks who just accompany us out of our departure city and ride for a few hours. From even a cursory perusal of our ride report you can get a pretty good idea of how we roll, and I'd anticipate anyone who wants to come along is sort of tuned into that and OK with it.

Anyway, I've still got a couple more posts before we can put M8 on the shelf.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #4674
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011. M8-day#15

Today would be spent sorting gear, washing air filters, changing oil, and general maintenance and repair.

But more importantly... hanging out with good friends!

MAG trying on a Kermit chair for size... [have you gotten to field test yet?]

(I got to try on a pair of Badlands pants on for size -- they'll be added to my gear for M9 and beyond)

Mmmmmorning coffee and breakfast burritos consumed,

It was time to take inventory. I've learned over the years that despite my OCD gear list excel file, taking notes, and just trying to remember, even a few weeks later I struggle to recall what we have and what we need. That explains why we now have 3 spare spark plugs when we've used exactly zero in over 20K miles on two bikes. So I now make these little videos. I include them just as an example of the best way I know to keep track of stuff when you're stowing gear for intermittent travel.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 09:14 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #4675
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Laundry and chores

hanging to dry, nice low humidity -- it took 5 minutes. Q was kind enough to mow the lawn so our clothes would have that nice fresh-cut grass smell when we pull them out for M9!

After a quick trip to get oil-changing supplies, and a pressure washer for Q, we woke the bikes up from their motocave:

Then... it was a beehive of activity.

Taking stock of what's broke and worn,

heated grip meltdown:

LDF's sweetcheeks:

Heeheehee, I just said "LDF's sweetcheeks!"

Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #4676
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Talk about focus

I had to get our bikes out of there before he made them clean. Yikes! It's taken 3us years to get just the right trail patina, incorporating dirt from all across North America on our two bikes, and he just wanted to WASH IT OFF????

Old 01-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #4677
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Another note to self:

regarding the heated grips engineered solution:

And now the radiator assessment:

The culprit was the HORN!

it had been rubbing on the radiator, and chewed a pretty big hole.

I'm actually AMAZED that the stop-leak stuff was able to plug it. This was no pinhole!

I was also gratified to know that the hole wasn't caused by interior corrosion and age. I was starting to have thoughts that this or the next might be these two bikes' last ride. . But every indication is that they've got plenty of miles left in them.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #4678
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The rule is

if you ride in front, you clean the air filters. Guess which is whose:

I changed oil, washed Scott's filters, bled Blueberry's rear brake fluid.

I can't thank Q enough for the assistance and tools. Thanks, bro.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #4679
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yet another

video note to self:

And a break for lunch,

post-trip headspace decompression chamber:

Thanks, both you guys for making us feel at home.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #4680
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

One last

note to selves about food,

and then time to tuck them in for hibernation over the winter:

then time to go out,

unwind,

relax,

chill,

and enjoy the remains of the day.

and yes, we had a designated driver.