Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #4681
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
On the ride back

we stopped at the actual falls of Idaho,

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #4682
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back at the ranch

we had another fantastic meal,

fantastic potato salad!

the kitten ate the monkey,

and we all went to bed with full bellies.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #4683
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sunday, Sept. 25, 2011. M8-day#16

We had another great breakfast cooked by our hosts,

and were joined by the legendary Tony Huegel, author of the Backcountry Byways series, and supremely knowledgeable western US dual-sport guru and guide.

We chatted about all sorts of topics,

and brainstormed possible routes for M9 and beyond. We've picked up the Utah book, it looks like it's going to be a great resource for planning M9. Check out Tony's blog if you haven't already. Good stuff.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #4684
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Then it was off

to Idaho Falls International airport.

and we said our goodbyes and seeyalaters... [Alisa, how's that hand?]

and had an uneventful flight home.

That's a wrap. We'll start M9 route-planning in earnest, and transcribing to GPS prolly sometime late March. In the mean time, I've got some other tings to attend to.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #4685
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
Hey Doc, I hope you can get the Badlands in Tall!

Glad you guys had another great trip. Thanks for the effort of the RR's.
I really enjoy them!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #4686
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Yahoo!!! Awesome RR!! Will have to add Twin Peaks Lookout to my Bucket list!

Same with Tour of Idaho (unabridged!) and Macgruder Corridor! but have to wait for better weather! (okay, weather's not bad, but it's the wrong season!)

Thanks for sharing your holiday Doc and LDF! (you've still got it!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #4687
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks guys,

The first post of this thread is updated with new organization including links to index posts for each Mobius section (you can only stuff so many characters in a single post -- who knew? ). I've also uploaded M8 tracks and waypoints.

Enjoy.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 02:51 PM
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #4688
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
The first post of this thread is updated with new organization including links to a new index that resides on its own thread (you can only stuff so many characters in a single post -- who knew? ). I've also uploaded M8 tracks and waypoints.

Enjoy.
Doc, Thanks for all the work you put into these reports and for sharing all your prep work. Inspiring and informative. If you are ever in Austin, TX.... on me.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #4689
byways
byways

Oddometer: 1,919
A boy and his toys.

byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #4690
AugustFalcon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDeano View Post
Arco is home to the old Naval Nuclear Reactor Training School and is part of a National Laboratory...
I was trying to figure out why that Sail was there.

Had forgotten about the Arco site. I went through the one at Bainbridge and then up to Windsor Locks for the prototype portion before crew training at Knolls Atomic Power lab and then to new construction in Newport News.

Wonder how they got it there?

After reading this I think I might make a stab at designing and riding my own version of a 'Tour of Ida Doh'

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4691
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius I, May, 2008: [NYC to Albuquerque, NM] index

-- Click on the underlined links to go to:

Mobius I, May, 2008: [NYC to Albuquerque, NM]
- David riding Honeybee NYC to TN on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway,
- Francine flying down and Prepping bikes in TN at Motor 1's Dragons End and starting the TAT in TN
- Mississippi TAT
- Arkansas TAT including the Ozarks, and Warloop Rd.
- Oklahoma TAT part 1
- Oklahoma Tallgrass prairie preserve
- Day off in Liberal, KS (home of Dorothy, Toto, and the Scarecrow)
- TAT to NM, and then heading south (sick cow episode)
- Taos to Albuquerque, NM

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 08:53 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4692
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius II, Sept. 2008: [Albuquerque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ] index

Mobius II, Sept. 2008: [Albuquerque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ]
- Planning & prep
- Albuquerque back to the NM TAT (
Hey Todd!) including a trip up the Capulin Volcano
- NM TAT to Trinidad, CO (Thank you Valcom!)
- Arriving in Salida, CO on the TAT ( Tami & Duke), then Marshall pass
- Leaving Lake City, CO on 9/11/08
- Up and over 6 passes: Cinnamon, California, Hurricane,
Red Mountain, Ophir, and Lizard Head.
- Arriving in Moab, UT. Day off the TAT to ride the White Rim Trail
- Crossing the San Rafael Swell (
fry sauce and watermelons, lot's a canyon washes, and cowboy camping...)
- Off the TAT to Bryce Canyon and Zion N.P. (stopping at the Mystic Hot springs first)
- Entering AZ then Gerrying to the North Rim Grand Canyon
- Page, AZ to Sunset Crater N.P. including the dead-guy episode
- Hanging with the kids in Flagstaff, AZ

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 08:57 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #4693
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius III, May 2009: [Flagstaff, AZ to Reno, NV] index

Mobius III, May 2009: [Flagstaff, AZ to Reno, NV]
-Last minute planning & departure
-NYC to PHX and bike prep in Flagstaff
-Mother's day family time
-Departing Flagstaff to Glen Canyon, Lake Powell & Smokey Mt. Road
-Escalante, UT into Dixie N.F., camping at Otter Creek
-Fishlake N.F. back to the TAT staying at Adelaide campground to Crystal Mountain
-riding on and Cowboy camping in NV near Patterson Pass to Eureka, NV
-Cowboy camping at Lone Mountain mine then on to Battle Mountain for tires and R&R
-a long run from Battle Mountain to Paradise Valley to McDermitt
-Riding west to Denio Junction then Cowboy camping past Virgin Valley
-Into California, off the TAT, into the Sierras, eventually to Mill Creek Campground
-A night in Susanville, then making our way to Plumas-Eureka State Park
-On to Reno, and putting away the toys 'till next time.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 09:04 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #4694
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius IV, Sept. 2009: [Reno, NV to Seattle, WA] index

Mobius IV, Sept. 2009: [Reno, NV to Seattle, WA]
-Some inter-trip updates, logistics planning, gear-talk, and musings on how to stay together while riding
-Real-time posting on 9/11 (M-4 departure), and updates from our day riding with RenoDeano & Katoomon ( Dean & Mike)
-Real-time posts from mid-trip (Warning -- contains spoilers, skip ahead for the full story)
-Departing NYC for Reno, NV then getting the bikes out of hibernation and rolling
-Riding into the Sierra's, then making our way to Quincy, CA
-Leaving Quincy and heading through Penny Pines fire area, and Soda Springs on the way to...
-Black Rock and the bear incident. Then, eventually diverting to Chester for gas and camping at Gurnsey before...
-Climbing Mt. Lassen in the fog, surviving the 1st quagmire episode at Little Valley, the California Pines, Alturas,
-and camping at Plum Valley. The 2nd quagmire episode, rejoining the TAT, stocking up in Lakeview, and camping at Sandhill Crossing.
-Riding power lines, and rail lines, herding cattle
on sandy trails, then getting clean again in Crescent, OR.
-The forest fire episode, a visit to the tallest sugar pine, and camping at Devil's Flat.
-Conquering "Tourette Hill", pushing past West Fork, trying to reach Port O, only to break down in the middle of nowhere, necessitating
-a tow to Grants Pass, where we holed up for a couple days until we could get moving again.
-Finishing the TAT! Then a pavement day up the coast and inland to camp near Detroit. Back on the trail up the Cascades, to
-spend the night in Hood River, then on to Washington, a hike to Langfield Falls, past Mt. Rainier, and camping at Kaner Flat, finally
-continuing up the Cascades, and cutting west to Seattle where we stored the bikes & gear, hung out with friends, and headed home.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 09:08 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #4695
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius V, May, 2010: [Seattle, WA to Anchorage, AK] index

Mobius V, May, 2010: [Seattle, WA to Anchorage, AK]
-Some inter-trip Q&A, mid-winter planning update, pre-departure, Real-time update from Travis , and from us.
-M-5 preface and first day with friends in Anacortes, then crossing the border into BC, and heading up Harrison East FS road 'till we got turned back by snow.
-Following the Fraser river to Lillooet, then camping at Kelly lake, and on to Gang Ranch, past some cowboys, and over Farewell canyon.
-Gas at Williams Lake, and shelter at Quesnel. Mostly dirt weaving around lakes to Vanderhoof. The evil crow episode, and a rainy night.
-More dirt past Lake Ootsa, and my favorite Nadina Mountain. Houston, BC for gas and then Telkwa for the night.
-Our rainy day assault on Telkwa pass, only to be turned around again by snow, and then trapped by a downed tree.
-Pavement and more rain getting to Terrace, another backtrack getting to the Lava fields to pick up the Cassiar Hwy.
-Past Bear glacier to Stewart/Hyder, a side trip to see Salmon glacier, back on the Cassiar to Dease Lake to camp.
-Into Yukon territory, stopping at Johnson's crossing, then a short ride to Whitehorse, where we did maintenance and enjoyed Victoria Day.
-Meeting our support crew for the rest of the way to Anchorage, stopping at Buckshot Betty's, Deadman Lake, then on to TOK, where
-We ran into friends at Fast Eddies, sleeping at Matanuska glacier. Arriving to Anchorage, stowing the DRZ's and picking up rental bikes from Motoquest.
-An overnight to the Kenai peninsula, with stops at Portage glacier, Hope, the Exit glacier, Seward, and a great evening eating fresh salmon and drinking on the beach with new friends.
-A visit to a drydock boneyard, and back to Anchorage where we killed time watching seaplanes before flying home.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 09:09 AM