Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #4696
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Mobius VI, August, 2010: [Anchorage, AK - Inuvik, NWT - Anchorage, AK] index

-- Click on the underlined links to go to:
Mobius VI, August, 2010: [Anchorage, AK - Inuvik, NWT - Anchorage, AK]
-Flash forward for a real-time update by GaryAK of our fist riding day, then flash back to our NYC departure.
-Pre-ride bike prep, then starting out riding over Hatcher Pass on our way to spend the night at Cantwell, AK.
-The Denali Highway across to Paxon, and North to Delta (flat tire) Junction, then camping near Tok, AK.
-The Taylor Highway to Chicken where we hung out and drank the afternoon away, eventually backtracking all the way to Beaver Creek, YT on account of Border connector washouts.
-Continuing our 700 mile detour, doing lunch at Haines Jct, and north again to Carmacks where we spent a lovely night camping on the banks of the Yukon River.
-Finally starting the Dempster Highway! Riding up to camp at Engineer Creek. Pushing into NWT over the Richardson Range and through the rain to Inuvik.
-Backtracking down the Dempster, past a grizzly bear and the Arctic Circle rest area where we took our Christmas card photo, and met Joanna & Laurent from NYC.
-A great evening hanging out at Eagle Plains with Tim & John and Chi. Continuing south, riding with Tim & John, frolicking on the tundra, through Dawson City and on to camp at 40-mile Creek.
-Leaving the 40-mile in the sun, and suffering the Top of the World highway in a lightning storm, only to arrive late to the DOT convoy.
-Lunch at Chicken with Tim and John & Chi, then the busted chain episode, holing up at the Hart D Ranch. Out to the end of Nabesna Rd. to pick up Lorraine's mail, and back to deliver it.
-Gas at Posty's on the Glenn, then out to the Chitina Motel for the night. In the AM, riding McCarthy rd. out to explore Kennicott mines on foot.
-Through the town of McCarthy heading back to the Richardson Highway, and the beautiful ride down to Valdez. A beautiful ferry ride, then through the Whittier tunnel and
-a short ride back to Anchorage, where we stayed with GaryAK and Deb, stowed the bikes at Motoquest, and headed home!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 10:10 AM
DR. Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #4697
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 7, May, 2011: [Anchorage, AK - Edmonton, AB] index

Mobius 7, May, 2011: [Anchorage, AK - Edmonton, AB]
Some pre-trip planning, live posts from the ride, initial post-ride thoughts. Departure day shennanigans,
Hanging with friends in Anchorage, bike prep, and off to Tok, randomly meeting Baise, and camping.
Riding to Haines Jct, crossing the border, catching bears on video along the way. Next day, Yukon mafia,
and camping again @ Big Creek. Waking to rain, checking out Signpost park, crossing into BC, and tons more
wildlife sightings. Past Muncho Lake to camp at Tetsa River. Through Ft. Nelson, assissting with a car crash
then staying at a MeTHotel in Ft. St. John. Finally off the AlCan, through Dawson Creek, and Victoria Day camping
at Pipestone Creek. A nice ride down the Forestry Trunk road into a thunderstorm and camping at Pierre Grey lakes.
Waking up wet, and retreating to a motel in Grande Cache, Alberta to dry out. A cold and wet day, but fun ride to
camp at Emerson Lakes. Cold and wet again to the Evansburg Inn. A buggy ride to our gracious hosts Dave and Wannita
near Edmonton, AB. A solid day of wrenching and maintenance, another of hanging out, and some post-ride ruminations on
Gear we Love.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 10:36 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #4698
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 8, Sept, 2011: [Edmonton, AB - Tura I'doh - Idaho Falls, ID] index

Mobius 8, Sept, 2011: [Edmonton, AB - Tura I'doh - Idaho Falls, ID]
Prelude, and announcement of our M-8 corporate sponsor. Real-time updates from the trail, and from Idaho Falls
A description of the stage, departure from Edmonton with Ron & Dave , camping at Elk River, a gorgeous view of the Rockies.
A quick stop in Jasper and Athabasca Falls, then camping along the Icefields parkway. Hitting the tourist sights on the Parkway; Bow lake, Lake Louise, and Banff.
Finding our way back to dirt, and an awesome campsite at Horseshoe Rapids. The backtrack I, then riding Gray Creek Pass, the radiator I, taking a ferry.
Leaving Nelson, cutting through Washington, to get to the top of the Tura I. Assault on the Wigwams, and the HooDoos. Hitting challenge points,
and spending the night in Wallace. A morning of challenge points, and an afternoon of waiting. I. Leaving Heller Creek camp, past the bicycle hunter, refueling at Powell, enjoying the Lolo, camping with rain. Forest fire reroute to Elk City, spending the night with no gas, I, meeting Mike & Mike! and JD . Bushwhacking to the Magruder Corridor, and camping with JD. More forest fire road closures in MT, I, past Shoup, over Morgan Summit, and camping at Morgan Creek.
Assault on Twin Peaks, the meltdown, I, and recovery. Past Challis, leaving the TID route (thanks, Martin & crew) instead, riding the Custer motorway, and camping at Upper O'Brien. Winding our way on easy dirt to Arco, and camping at Craters of the Moon where we hiked and spelunked before heading to Idaho Falls.
Hanging with Questor and MotoAdventureGal , eating well, doing maintenance and repair, and meeting Tony Huegel before heading home.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 10:37 AM
Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #4699
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Cry Did you take a day off work today?

I ask, cause you posted a few updates to Mobius today......and It's Friday the 13th, which I always try to take off work.....cause, I have almost always suffered an injury at work on this superstitious date!!!!!!!!

Your profile on the NSDSC site claims your another year older today!! That would double the reason for a day off; In my experience!!!!

Congradulations on another Lap Complete!!!!

I offer you best wishes, and good trail rides for the next, and all years!!!!

BTW, My wife and I are due to arrive in New York this year; dates have not been set yet. I hope we can meet for a visit.

Cheers

Brian
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #4700
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl Richard View Post
I ask, cause you posted a few updates to Mobius today......and It's Friday the 13th, which I always try to take off work.....cause, I have almost always suffered an injury at work on this superstitious date!!!!!!!!

Your profile on the NSDSC site claims your another year older today!! That would double the reason for a day off; In my experience!!!!

Congradulations on another Lap Complete!!!!

I offer you best wishes, and good trail rides for the next, and all years!!!!

BTW, My wife and I are due to arrive in New York this year; dates have not been set yet. I hope we can meet for a visit.

Cheers

Brian
Thanks, Brian... no, I didn't take the day off. I wish. I had a patient say to me today, "I'm a little nervous having surgery on friday the 13th." And I replied, "imagine how you'd feel if it was your birthday!"

It's fallen on friday before, and nothing bad has happened, so I reckon I'll survive this one too. We're looking forward to a visit -- it's been too long. Happy new year, and a big hello to the rest of our friends in Nova Scotia.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #4701
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
I've always figured that if your birthday falls on the 13th, it's your LUCKY number! When it falls on Friday, just too bad for everybody else, cause it's MY lucky day! Many Happy Returns of the Day, Dave!
Tell LDF to go easy on the candles!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #4702
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,884
Happy Birthday, Dave.
Lil' Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #4703
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
Over last summer I pretty much stayed off the computer. My loss as I missed your passing through Nelson. Had I kept track of your progress I could have guided you on some dirt as a substitute for some of the blacktop between Nelson and Salmo. No point saying I'll do better next time as I doubt you'll by this way anytime soon.

The sign at Gray Creek Pass stated as fully open July 1st. Well not in 2011 it wasn't. The snow didn't clear the pass until July 17th. And then the road on the west side was closed again for repairs. Here's where you commented on the "jersey" barriers: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=119 , I'm used to hearing them called "no-goes" .

I'd say you stayed at the best hotel In Nelson.

And a nitpick re "glad to be back in mpg". Officially we're supposed to measure fuel consumption in L/100km, most people still refer to mpg. Canada went metric in the late 1970s. Something about a mouse next to an elephant.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #4704
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Thanks, Brian...

It's fallen on friday before, and nothing bad has happened, so I reckon I'll survive this one too. We're looking forward to a visit -- it's been too long. Happy new year, and a big hello to the rest of our friends in Nova Scotia.
Thanks David, I'll be in touch with you when we've got things in order!!! BTW Have Fun!!??
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #4705
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl Richard View Post

Cheers

Brian
Brian,

When you have your plans in place we must make arrangements to meet again. We would sure love to see and host you and meet your wife.

Keep us posted on the details.

All the best

Regards,

Francine
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #4706
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
Dave and Fancine

I've been following your Mobius since day one. Every time I read one of your RR's I feel like I've gone on vacation with you two. I'll continue to follow your progress in hopes that you roll towards Winnipeg and Northern Ontario some day. Then I'll not only get a chance to meet you, My wife and I would be happy to put you up in our beach house as a base for exploring that area on the bikes if you so choose.

I'm not a dual sporter, but you've inspired me to take a few trips of my own on my pavement pounder and I wanted to thank you for that too. I try to write my RR's with the same flare and humor you do but, comparitively, my RR's don't hold a candle to yours.

Keep up the great work! you've developed a large fan base. I can't wait till you decide to make a book out of it. I'll be the first in line at thte book store.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #4707
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Thanks again,

for sharing your ride.

that there is a lot of lenses
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #4708
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
M9 Oregon bits

DR. Rock: I'm sure you're already checking threads for south eastern Oregon ride ideas. Just thought I'd put in my .02 cents. Leslie gulch south of Ontario is an amazing place. Willow Hot Springs is a great place to camp and soak for a night. Of course the Steens Mountain is an awesome place. I rode those areas in the RR in my sig line in 2010 and also rode them again this year. Haven't started that RR yet. I can shoot you some GPS tracks if any of them might help. Make sure you don't mis Wachs RR's and Hodakaguy's RR's. They are inspiring!

MadChap screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 01:22 AM
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #4709
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
DR. Rock: I'm sure you're already checking threads for south eastern Oregon ride ideas. Just thought I'd put in my .02 cents. Leslie gulch south of Ontario is an amazing place. Willow Hot Springs is a great place to camp and soak for a night. Of course the Steens Mountain is an awesome place. I rode those areas in the RR in my sig line in 2010 and also rode them again this year. Haven't started that RR yet. I can shoot you some GPS tracks if any of them might help. Make sure you don't mis Wachs RR's and Hodakaguy's RR's. They are inspiring!

David/Francine,

For more OR info, touch base with inmates Brad21 or Wachs. They are friends of mine from Bend OR who have traveled SE OR extensively, especially Wachs (cofounder of Giant Loop). Dave probably knows every drinking water & gas source out there. Brad will have GPS tracks. There are few other folks out there worth talking to. See them all at www.benddualsport.com.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #4710
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,737
For some reason I just found this through another link, took me a few days to read front to back.
All I can say is Wow!
Thank you for for taking the time to compile all this into a RR.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote