User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Talking

The B33 is a sweet looking ride...lucky dog....

Hopefully, one day, my M33 looks almost as good.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,685

ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,072
My new to me '74 Roadster

I've wanted one for 35 years....

Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #34
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 383
Ask The Experts, BSA 441 Question

Hello All
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1968 441asking price around $1K . I would like to get an idea of a price range for these old bikes in running condition. Its kind of rough looking but looks like it is all there. The motor turns over but is loose in the frame. Dont know when it last ran. What do these sell for in reasonable condition? I have never owned a britt bike but have rebuilt a couple of old beemers so feel I could take on a rebuild of one of these.
Thanks for any input.
Steve
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #35
jva118
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Depending on how rough the bike is you may be better to buy one almost done. These days if you watch you can get a nice bike for 3k, sometimes less. That can be subject to change at any time with these bikes. They do seem to fluctuate for some reason. It all really depends on the condition of the one you are looking at and how much of a project you want. Really nice examples can bring good money to the right people. Rough ones can be bought right but you can end up putting more into it than what a nice one would cost to buy and ride. But the challenge is half the fun to some. The good thing about the singles is they are fairly simple for the most part. But parts for them can get expensive. It really depends on if you want a project or not. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide
jva118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #36
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Hello All
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1968 441asking price around $1K . I would like to get an idea of a price range for these old bikes in running condition. Its kind of rough looking but looks like it is all there. The motor turns over but is loose in the frame. Dont know when it last ran. What do these sell for in reasonable condition? I have never owned a britt bike but have rebuilt a couple of old beemers so feel I could take on a rebuild of one of these.
Thanks for any input.
Steve
What're you waiting for

If that was over here (UK) it'd be sold many times over for that price - If you fancy one - BUY IT

They are only ever gonna get more rare and one day soon, prices your side of the pond will catch up with the rest of the world and go up, up, up!!!!!
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Talking

StevefrmGV sez:

"I have the opportunity to purchase a 1968 441asking price around $1K ."

A reasonably complete 68 Victor that turns over for $1k is not a bad buy at all. Things that are hard to find and pricey - fenders and good tanks. Thought a dented original aluminum tank can be salvaged. One other question, are you looking at a Victor Special (enduor style) or a 68 Shooting Star (street bike). Mechanical/electrical bits are virtually identical, but wheels (front) and body work is different. The VS version is usually more desirable in terms of resale.

Engines are relatively simple and fairly tough if put together right. Regardless of version (VS or SS), the late unit single frame is a sweet handling motorcycle. Electrics for all the horror stories can be made quite reliable and have a significant amount of upgrades available. Built right, the unit single is a nice back road bike and a lot of fun to ride. Don't even make a bad touring bike...see the pics from the IoM postings....spent 10 days using a 441 to tour in England, IoM, and Wales
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #38
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Hello All
Thanks for any input.
Steve
there is some good advice on this. it really does depend on how much you want to get into and the actual condition of the bike you are looking at.

like someone said, you could probably buy a good running 441 for about 3K, but if you like to tinker, and you have the funds available, then maybe you should go for it. with the exception of a few parts, that may be more in demand or hard to find, i think you'll find that most bits can be easily obtained- in both the used or new (after) markets. whatever you do, don't look at it as a financial investment, rather, approach it as an emotional investment. once you have it, there's no saying you have to rush thru the project, (as far as i know) so in theory you could take your time and nickel-dime it without breaking the bank. in the foreseeable future, this bike isn't going to skyrocket in value. however, there is much satisfaction and fun to be had in getting an old bike running, and then riding the wheels off of it....

and you may never see another one in ANY condition for a thousand bucks.

let us know what you decide on it, and show us some pix, maybe even post pix and a story about the project as you go? this is exactly what i hope this thread can become- the place for just this sort of endeavor and advice.

cheers, Steve!
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #39
Teckhardt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
My '51 AJS 18

Teckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #40
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Ariel display

This was my late father's 56 Ariel Square Four back in the day. He restored it a couple years back for it's current owner.

This 58 Ariel Cyclone was completed previously.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 383
Quote "Hello All
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1968 441asking price around $1K
"
Thanks for the very thoughtful comments. Guess I should make a move on this, ill let you know what hapens. thanks again.
Steve
Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #42
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
I'd like to sdee her start it
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #43
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
SWEET, Kev!
show us some pix of the Vintage Brits You've had over the years bro?
Oh if I have to

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #44
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Ahhhhhh, Triumphs...... Here's my current Brit Iron - a T120 Bonnie with a 68 TR6R motor & Jap running gear....

I very much like the look/idea of this, any build details or photos?
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #45
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,966
Time to dig some of mine out. These are just a few of the Brit bikes I've had over the years.

That's me at 17 (circa 1979)

Nasty?

76 Daytona 500

Ariel Red Hunter

Best not to ask

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote