Oddometer: 5,184
Out of control! I love it!

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Sounds like a great time.... I might hafta join you guys.

PS.. Thanks for the Adventure....

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
wporter
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So says MR. Natural....

Don't over-look R.L. Crumb as an artistic influence for your new graphics. Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers or Mr. Natural....
Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
GnarlyKarle
aka: ici_moto

Oddometer: 1,264
Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wporter View Post
Don't over-look R.L. Crumb as an artistic influence for your new graphics. Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers or Mr. Natural....

Very familiar with both of those....just think a Big Daddy Roth's style suits us a bit more

...But only with a rider on an SL!!

oregoncoast screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 02:33 PM
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
damm

If I had discovered this great adventure before last week I would be trying to figure out how to do this with my "semi" classic 89 Transalp...But I'll follow along .. :)
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
Yeah you right!

Can't wait!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,363
Good luck, fellas!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #24
Wulfpack Dad
n00b

Oddometer: 8
WOW!!! Again?

Actually just wanted to post and wish you guys good luck!!! Looks like I wont see you at China Hat this year. Are either you or Luke going to be XC racing?
Wulfpack Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfpack Dad View Post
Actually just wanted to post and wish you guys good luck!!! Looks like I wont see you at China Hat this year. Are either you or Luke going to be XC racing?

I'm in it for points again, if we pester paul persuasively we might be able to get him out for a race or two.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #26
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,455
Well, I had hoped that the team would start chiming in with some of their racing thoughts by now....I guess here's a little push for them

Today I went down and picked up the motor from Gary the local Honda master technician, who did me a solid and rebuilt the motor off the books in his home shop, thus saving me tons of money. I provided the parts, and he did the rest. The motor was in good company inside Gary's tiny shop, as an old TL250 waiting patiently for some of Gary's attention.

I then drove over to Lonnie's shop. My goal was to get the motor in the bike so that we could move on to other things. We got some snow over here on the coast, and more on the mountain pass, so no riding/training for us this weekend. But Ray called me this morning and said the swingarm is ready to mock up so we can finalize our chain tensioner solution.

I guess it would be good to start with our plan for the bike.

The motor had sustained some serious damage during the last season of racing but was miraculously still running decently when it was torn down.

It was rebuilt 1mm over stock. The carbs will be rebuilt and then any other issues that need to be addressed will be as needed. I foresee some new coils and wires, but otherwise, mechanically, the bike will be pretty much stock.

Alex from Konflict Motorsports stepped up last year and did an amazing job with our vintage SL/MR forks. They were about as good as they could be considering their inherent limitations. I had purchased YSS shocks from Klaus at EPM last year and they worked out great. This year we are making some improvements to the suspension and I had hoped that YSS would be able to step up their support as the shocks we needed were going to be damn expensive. They never got back to me. But Alex did.

I bought a set of vintage 1985 XR600 forks and front wheel combo and brought them to Alex to set up for us. He worked some magic, adjusted the height to fit the dimensions of the SL and swore me to secrecy on any other details...

The good news is that this gives us a vintage disc brake in the front. After more than one close call during a transit section last year's M1K, I will be happy to have some real brakes up front. A rider was hit by a truck last year riding a transit through a small town...the police wave you through an intersection, but cross traffic does not stop Will be nice to be able to at least slow down in a reasonable amount of time.

(trust me, you won't recognize those forks when Lonnie gets done with them)

As you can see from last year's start, that double leading drum sure is cool and vintage looking, but throwing out a bag of rocks on a rope would've stop the bike faster than they did.

Alex also agreed to help us get our rear suspension set up with some sweet, custom-made shocks from Race Tech. He promises me that these will be works of art, and by the sounds of them, I am sure they will be. It'll be about 3 -4 weeks for these puppies to get on the bike...so we'll all just have to patiently wait

We are going to add about 2 inches of travel to the rear and are extending the stock swingarm about two inches to help accommodate this. Ray is welding up a masterpiece and once it is powder coated, you would have to really know SL's to recognize it as anything but stock. We will be running the stock rear SL350 wheel and brakes. I will not be able to run the bike in any AHRMA events after this...but I decided that the safety advantages of the modifications outweighed that. Plus, I plan on getting a vintage trials bike for AHRMA events!

Back to today. So it was just me and Lonnie today. We pulled off a sidecover from one of Rick's spare motors to use on the race bike. The oil pump cover bolt holes were stripped out on the original one, so we are just going to clean this spare one and use it. Lonnie will do wonders and it will look amazing as always!

I mounted the old swingarm and one of the struts so we could wheel the bike around as we wanted to clean it up while the motor was out.

Then back in the shop and we man handled the race motor back into the bike Damn that twin is heavy!!

We decided to leave the stator cover from last year on the bike since it has its own story to tell. That cool anodized looking gold patina was caused by the motor being super over heated during the first day in soft sand. It started out as silver as the side cover

I buttoned it all up and mounted the tank and seat up just to stand back and look at it. The plastic front white fender is one from a MR250 and might be used for training/prep rides. The stock aluminum one will be the one on the bike for the race. This makes Lonnie cry because the MR is a bolt up to the new forks and the SL fender will require some modifications to work.

Imagine what a mono-shock SL350 would look like ....

I have also decided that we will probably run the stock tank and have auxiliary fuel cell options. I just love the way the bike looks with the stock SL tank that I cannot see running anything else on there. I just love the looks of this damn bike and I think it is going to even look better with the new swingarm and shocks!

Also, since we got to keep our same number, I'm going to keep the last year's custom side covers and numbers that Lonnie made.

Tomorrow: Luke is coming down and Ray is coming over and they will be finalizing the swingarm and chain tensioner/guard mod and then Ray will finish welding it up and then its off to the powder-coater. Hopefully the "collar" we are having machined will be done early this week. It will allow us to use a standard XR600 tapered bearing in the bottom of the stearing head. The top tapered bearing that fits the stock SL stem also works for the XR stem so we will just be using that.

Bonus tip:
I ran grip puppies last year and I would not race a vintage twin without them. These bikes vibrate and 1000 miles is a long way to hold them handlebars. Might also work for them fancy modern KTM-moter sickles too

Teaser Pix:
Just what is in Luke's silver box...

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #27
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,827
Good call on the front disc brake. A 100% original bike is cool, but not so cool when it and it's rider go flying over a cliff

Bike is looking good. Do you plan on mounting a roadbook holder on for navigation? That has been my project for the last month or so on my DRZ. Seemed simple at first but the project keeps getting more complicated since I am designing as I build.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #28
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,212
Totally subscribed!

Keep up the good work guys!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 706
LC'S Update

My first update to the new OSR thread;

While Paul & Lonnie were thrashing on the race bike, I was home working on Paul's CL350 Scrambler, a bike we are making into a runner to sell for MK1 funds. The bike has not ran for a long time, you can read about it and other stuff semi related to the OSR race team efforts here; http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post17763734

In addition to working on the Scrambler, I spent part of the weekend putting a parts list together to send to a prospective parts sponsor and also attempting to organize, on paper, some of the large amounts of information and to-do lists that will be part of the OSR 2012 MK1 process. I've also begun working out daily, as Paul has pointed out to me that sheer will power will not be enought to get me thru my stints at the handlebars and I do take what he says about conditioning, preparation and readiness seriously.

On the OSR bike prep side of things, my plan is to head down next Sunday and rebuild the stock Keihin carbs and then to assist Paul and the team in whatever way neccessary to get her running and ready for the upcoming bike show.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #30
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Subbed, this looks great already
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote