User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #31
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,535
In... this year I will send YOU a pic of ME enjoying tequila

Maybe I'll get a big ol pocket tee shirt and a crayon... then I can send you an empty bottle and a broken crayon

Go get em boys and girls.... you are gonna have a blast!
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
Nice stuff, did not see last years but with the new suspension and brakes should be a 'little' easier on ya! Good luck, and subscribed!
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Orange"]

Imagine what a mono-shock SL350 would look like ....
Um, I think you may have overpaid for that "MONO" shock.....

But, I really hope you and your team enjoy this years events as much as you did last years.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #34
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,416
Lots done today...

Today, Luke and Allan braved the ice and snow and came down to work on the bike.

I slipped and slided away to Ray's shop to pick up the swingarm...looked real good!

Gonna look sweet when its powdercoated.

I then met up with the boys at Lonnie's and we got to work. Today's mission was to get the swingarm and chain tensioner squared away...and since Luke is the lead on that project, I am going to respectfully bow out and wait for him to post his report, because secretly I hope he can explain what it is we just did!

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #35
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
A little tech interlude:

So we wanted more suspension travel in the back. No problem, right? Just buy longer shocks and bolt them on.

Except, we want a longer swingarm too. For several reasons. There isn't much room to make the current shocks longer travel. Lengthening the swingarm gives more room to fit all the shock parts between the eyes. A longer swingarm also makes the bike more stable by making the swingarm longer. Finally, the front wheel is further forward due to the longer forks, so pushing the rear wheel back keeps the weight balance near where it was before.

So that's no problem, we'll have Ray extend the swingarm, then we just need to extend the brake stay and the brake cable, and the chain. Oh yeah, speaking of the chain, the extra travel means we will have much more chain slack so we'll need some sort of tensioning system.

This is getting complicated. So when Ray brought the unfinished swingarm by to test fit it, we started looking at the other things that needed to be done. Today, with the swingarm mostly done it was time to get to work. Allan and I drove over in the morning, and met Paul and Lonnie at Lonnie's shop.

First up, the chain guide. The bike didn't have one, but we figured it needed one now. We had a guide from an XRsomething, and Ray had added a fin to the swingarm that it could be bolted to. We drilled mounting holes in the fin, made some spacers, and bolted it up.

So that's one down, lots to go.

On to the chain.

We test-fit the chain, it turned out fairly well. There was less slack than expected, we will attach a roller to the frame just behind the front sprocket to take up most of it.

Not mentioned yet, but quite obvious is the need to move the rear fender.

So on to the brake.

It took nearly three hours of messing around to get the brake right. Just a whole lot of 'maybe this will reach' trying different ways of hooking up a cable that would work. In the end, a cable from an MR250 that had been pack-ratted away last year saved the day. It was almost a bolt-up that will require a bit of welding on a clevis part, but no frame or cable mods.

In process:

Success!

This was actually going pretty well. Last up was the brake stay. We just screwed on some angle strut like the shocks and called it a day.

So that was our work day in a nutshell. About 6 hours to go from not knowing how it was going to work at all, to having some of the work done and a good idea of how the rest needs to go. Well, for the swingarm at least.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #36
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,535
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #37
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

You'll also notice that the front end is removed. While we are waiting for the machine shop to finish the lower stearing head "collar," (and bronze swingarm bushings) we took this opportunity to get the forks, triples and wheel squared away. This week they will be getting cleaned and painted where needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
It took nearly three hours of messing around to get the brake right. Just a whole lot of 'maybe this will reach' trying different ways of hooking up a cable that would work. In the end, a cable from an MR250 that had been pack-ratted away last year saved the day. It was almost a bolt-up that will require a bit of welding on a clevis part, but no frame or cable mods.
Indeed. This was one of those things that kept nagging at me. I kept forgetting to bring it up, but I know that we would have to find a solution to replace the stock rear brake cable (since we stretched the swingarm 2" ) and we weren't sure whether that would be another cable, a rod, or maybe upgrade the rear brakes entirely.

My goals for this bike has always been reliability, the ability to fix things when/if they break in Mexico, and to keep it as close to stock as feasible. There was lots of discussion about adapting an XR rear wheel to work or using an old Yamaha TT rear wheel like Rick has on his race SL350. We realized that there wasn't that much of a difference in weight over stock. Also, we have several stock rear wheels to serve as spares and by staying with the stock swingarm and wheel, no need to change spacers, adjusters or mounting hardware...that just saves time and money.

While Luke was in the middle of fabbing up a doohickey to lengthen the clevis that attaches the cable to the brake lever, I found that a cable from Lonnie's XL500 was a little bit longer (but not long enough), and had the Honda specific fittings on each end to fit in the molds in the wheel and the frame. Then I spotted some cables stored in a cardboard tube.

"Hey Lonnie, what are these cables from?"

"SL and MR parts."

Last year I bought 2 SL350 and 2 MR250 parts bikes and we tore them down and saved most of the usable parts. This in addition to a XL350 that someone gave Lonnie. The great things about old Hondas is that many of the parts are interchangeable, even though they may have changed slightly over the years. This is great for a motorcycle builder and on our SL you'll find stock Honda parts from several different models that simply bolt up. Buying those Craiglists parts bike proved to be a very smart move.

I pulled out a black rear brake cable in great shape...from the MR250. It had the proper Honda fittings and was about two inches longer than the SL cable, in the right place, and bolted right up! As Luke stated, the only mod necessary was to notch the clevis to get it off the SL Cable, and now to just weld the notch back up so the MR cable will stay on it. I admit, I dance a little jig when I saw that this cable solved our brake cable problems. And I had two of them, so we now have a spare!

Luke and Allan worked the swingarm through its full motion and the brake cable looks like it will work. The XR650R chain guide that Rick bought off Ebay and the roller also worked like charm. We'll be testing these components hard because the chain length and swingarm mod are the biggest unknown on the bike right now. But it looks like the boys have come up with a simple, strong solution using existing Honda parts where possible, and keeping it as close to stock in appearance as possible!

It really was a great build day
Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #38
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
Well done!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,545
I was just showing this thread to a friend and as I scrolled through I notice there sure are a lot of pictures of Luke. It's a good thing he's such a handsome devil.

Keep up the good work guys and keep the pictures coming.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 12:56 PM Reason: I need to learn how to spell.....
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #40
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,222
If you guys need any cables motion pro can custom fab them for you.. Nice work!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #41
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
If you guys need any cables motion pro can custom fab them for you.. Nice work!

Yeah we talked about Motion Pro as an option before we found the MR cables, but at $45+ for a custom cable, it is an expensive option. Considering that for the cost of 2 cables, we can get a day of gas for a chase vehicle in Mexico! When racing on a budget...good to save money where we can. Free is a very good price for two cables!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 387
Good luck with this years race. I spent my childhood chasing CHECKERS around Mexico with my family and what your doing takes me right back. I am subscribing and looking forward to the shirts and stickers.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #43
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Yeah we talked about Motion Pro as an option before we found the MR cables, but at $45+ for a custom cable, it is an expensive option. Considering that for the cost of 2 cables, we can get a day of gas for a chase vehicle in Mexico! When racing on a budget...good to save money where we can. Free is a very good price for two cables!
like those checks and balances.

Amazing what all can be done and goes into such venture, though.

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #44
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
Work Day Progress

This morning Al (aka Loud Al) and I headed down to Tillamook to spend the day working on Team Outta Sight Racing's SL350. Unfortunately Luke was in his super secret lab testing flux capacitors and was not available today. Our agenda included mounting the XR triple clamp into the SL steering-head, installing the carbs & clutch cover, and cleaning, prepping and painting numerous small parts. We also checked the true on some spare wheels and began mounting tires for both the "One Show" and test riding.

Here is Al mounting the Maxxis Desert IT on a rear wheel, with Tubliss;

Al makes it look so easy, he has time to grin;

Here you can see we have the triple clamps installed & waiting for fork legs ~ the fork legs are waiting for their boots.....note Paul in deep contemplation while in the background shop host Lonnie continues to tirelessly toil;

Carbs installed;

Speaking of the "One Show", the ultra clean CZ hanging from Lonnie's rafters (upper left) is scheduled to be in the show along with OSR's SL350;

The swing arm is nearly finished and will soon be powder coated, Konflict Motorsports will have our shocks delivered sometime in the next week, and progress is moving steadily forward. While there, we also picked up a few bits and pieces to finish up the CL350. We hope to have it completely ride ready and shined up to sell before or during the One Show.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #45
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

To add to what Rick posted:

Allan and Rick came down today for a tech day and I think we got a lot accomplished. I began the day by showing the boys the pistons and head gasket from last years race...nice and toasty!

During the last week, Ray our welder came by and welded in our new lower steering stem collar that he had machined.
The purpose of this collar was so that we could use a standard XR lower bearing with the SL steering head. See, the SL lower steering head is a weird 1/2 metric size, that is specifically a Honda size. I have yet to find a similar bearing with the same OD with 26mm ID. But it is a common Honda bearing and was used on tons of Hondas including the venerable CB750. So tapered bearing kits for the SL are available. But here is the hitch, the SL steering stem is tapered, where the top bearing ID is 26mm and the bottom is 30mm (I think). The XR600 stem bearing ID is 26mm top and bottom (and has the same OD as well). So, the SL top bearing from last year works fine with the XR stem, but the SL bottom will not work. So, we had a collar machined to insert in the lower stem to make the OD to match the XR bearing. Other than that, it is really a simple bolt up solution as the XR stem is long enough to fit in the SL frame.

Clear as mud?? Oh yeah, we were going to also make a collar for the top so we could just use the XR600 bearing there, but the OD difference is so small that Ray was worried about the strength of the collar due to it being so thin.

Ray had also cut off the steering lock tab so Allan touched that up with some black paint. Then after some early issues, we worked together...slowly...and carefully...since our lives would be depending on doing the steering stem mount-up correctly...and we got it together and if fit like a charm!!

Rick is very proud of his balls...er...ball bearing packing skills....

Lonnie had painted up some parts for us, to make them look good for "THE ONE SHOW" in which the SL will be on exhibit along with other cool bikes.

If you live in the Portland area, you don't want to miss this show...and it's free to get in!! If you come, please come by and find an OSR crew/rider an say hi!

http://www.theonemotorcycleshow.com/

We haven't been added to the builders tab yet..but their working on it. This is a great show, lots of cool bikes to look at, and lots of interesting people to meet and discuss bikes. I am honored that we were invited to show off the bike..and we will also be showing off Lonnie's CZ dirt bike that is currently hanging from his rafters.

Anyway, Lonnie painted up the side cover, triples and fork lowers and they came out great as always. Lonnie is a stickler for prepping stuff before he paints and it shows in the finished product. I could never get anything looking that good from a rattle can.

Rick put on the right side cover, then we decided to polish up the oil pump cover, because the side cover looked so good. Then we decided that the counter-sprocket cover needed to be painted to match, then we decided that the stator cover, which has a gold patina from last years overheating incident, needed to go and so the boys polished up a silver one to better match the other stuff...but then off course the case cover under the stator cover needed to painted or it just wouldn't look right

Needless to say, we painted and polished much more than we had planned but since Luke wasn't there to get the electrical squared away to get the bike started, we had to keep occupied

We mounted up the triples and Allan took off the trials rear and put on a knobby. He also pulled off a front knobby of a stock SL wheel so we could mount it up on the XR front.

Lonnie had been working on getting the front XR rim de-rusted and looking decent, but he pointed out that it may be in worse shape than we thought.

There is aluminum flaking off where the rim strip goes, so we are need of another front wheel. We have some spare hoops that could be relaced with the hub and some new spokes, but that is going to cost some money...so if anyone out there has a front wheel for a 1985-92 (i think) XR600 that they would love to donate to the cause, please let us know. Incidently, XR250R front wheels from the same vintage should work too.....

Here I am explaining how an internal combustion motor works to Rick...what a simpleton!!

Ok....to be fair, I have no idea how an internal combustion motor works...I can barely operate the damn things....while Rick has rebuilt more of them than I have probably ever started! I was probably saying something more akin to this:
"I'm an idiot, that's why you are working on this, got it?"

Rick also got the carbs mounted up and Allan cleaned up the air filters and cleaner.

Lonnie loves to hang stuff in his garage so we always have some cool stuff to look at. This week, it was the front end from last year's SL racer, but in Trials garb when we ran it in the AHRMA National Trials meet at Chehalis.

I also broke out the HD video camera and started blocking out some shots. One of the good things about me not iron-manning the M1K this year is that I will have more time and focus to be able to document our adventure. I hope to capture some great stuff along the way!!

We got tons of shit accomplished today!! Much more than I anticipated. And thanks to Allan for taking some photos of it all.

After the boys left I had some time to just futz around with the bike. This is some of my favorite things to do. I get to work out some ideas or thoughts about the bike, without the pressure of "getting things done" when the boys are here to do work. So, I threw on the forks and handlebars, tank and seat on and played around with some of my auxiliary fuel options for this years M1K.

With the Acerbis in the tank bag...last year we had MSR cans in there. Note the Day 2 map in the map holder...and that is real baja silt on the tank bag and roto-pax as they have not been used or cleaned since last year

Thanks for checking in!

oregoncoast screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 09:05 PM