Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #76
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr440 View Post
Great photos... We should get together for a ride one day..
For sure! Always looking for a partner in crime!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #77
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Jan 15, 2012 Snow standoff

Well, I was at a standoff with the weather today, and I chanced it and headed up to the Oliphant lake trails again. It was a real mixed bag, and though It was sunny to start, wait ten minutes and changes around the next corner!

I'm loving the newest storage options!

It started out nice eough

Then I turn towards shawnigan and run into a wall of snow!!!

What am I getting myself into?

Looking back, the blowing snow reminds me of my time in Prince George.

So I head up the trail where it is safe from cars. Longer ride aborted!

This really is the first blast of winter we have had this year. It was supposed to be La nina but has been real dry and not-winter-like until now!

And like that, it is over! It's just one of those days...

A good test of traction on the shortcut. The TKC 80's are doing pretty good, but some Pirelli 606's would do the trick today! The Conti's are much better in the rain on pavement though, which is much more important for me this time of year.

And now, it's just gorgeous out!, nice bit of slip & slide, nice fresh powder! What's not to like?

Just before coming up here, i did have a small dump. Note to self: wear Shin pads! I landed on a rock and ended up with a huge throbbing swollen bruise below the left knee. It is still making me wince as I type! As
i said, some bigger side lugs would be preferable today!

Oh well, good fun, the pain just reminds me of mountain biking! I'll lower the air pressure a bit next time!

How can one stay home on a day like this?

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 12:39 AM
Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #78
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 957
LOL....you said 'small dump'

Yea I know....I'm an idiot....

ADVrider is really cool with a couple of rum and coke's......
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #79
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
LOL....you said 'small dump'

Yea I know....I'm an idiot....

ADVrider is really cool with a couple of rum and coke's......
We're all cooler on the internet!

How's yer sled report coming?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #80
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Well, Riding might be on hiatus for a few days! If there is snow in Victoria,..... well, lets not go there!

IMG_0040
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #81
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Jan 18,

(sigh) when is this going to go away!

IMG_0059

So I bus it for the first time in a real long time. It's still the same regular driver I knew from way back when. Great guy, lots of stories, it was good to see him!

I want to try some winter camping, but I'm not going anywhere till the roads are thawed here! Drivers are plain scary in Victoria in winter, so its not worth the risk. I can't wait to get out again! I should post some pics of my camping kit in the meantime.

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 10:46 PM
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #82
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oh yeah... There is more snow in the forecast, then freezing rain!......this could get more interesting yet!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #83
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 249
Good stuff as always thanks. Lets see you camping kit.
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #84
B10Dave
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Really enjoying your posts about day trippin' on VI. Never been there myself yet but have seen the coast up to Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast back in 1989. Great country to see for us flatlanders from Southern Ont. My son is in North Van. and have a sister in law in Port Coquitlam so probably will get back out that way eventually. Stay safe and enjoy the rides. Keep the pics coming. Dave
Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #85
LegB4Wicket
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Love the reports. Keep them coming.

You're giving me some great ideas on local rides for when I purchase a dual sport.
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #86
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksIT View Post
Good stuff as always thanks. Lets see you camping kit.
Cool, Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I'll post some new shots, and the survival/ camping items real soon.

Photo's are taken, just not posted yet. I've been busy with work, I've been suffering my annual bout of Cluster Headaches, ( you don't want these! ) and electrical headaches with my bike to boot! It's not charging the battery properly, and I've been really lucky not to have gotten stuck somewhere because of it! Oh well, life is good! really!!! I'll be okay!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #87
Ardyjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Thumb

All of your rides are pretty familiar to me. My buddies and I ride all over V.I. on any given Saturday. Gordon River etc is one of my favorite rides. Mt. Bolduc is where the crashed aircraft is- from April 1944. Its abut 10 kms from the log on car pic. The 6 guys who died are buried there too. Quite a somber place, with aircraft debris scattered around over about 5 acres.

Probably see you on the road one of these days!
Ardyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #88
nukemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Whidbey Island, WA native here. Thanks for showing me some familiar scenery as I'm stuck here in Southern California. Sure, it doesn't get that cold down here, but I miss being surrounded by trees, trails and streams. Keep up the good work!
nukemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #89
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemm View Post
Whidbey Island, WA native here. Thanks for showing me some familiar scenery as I'm stuck here in Southern California. Sure, it doesn't get that cold down here, but I miss being surrounded by trees, trails and streams. Keep up the good work!
Yup, enjoying it too. I was 35 years in the Seattle area, Edmonds, Snohomish. Moved to so-Cal in '92. Lots of family up there so we're going back for a couple of weeks in August. I'm taking a bike and ride for 7-9 days in BC. Whoohoo!

I miss the outdoor stuff but not the rain.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #90
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

The Kit

Someone wanted to see the camping kit, so here it is!
This bag has been around the cut-block a few times! I bought it in Prince George........jeez, just after high school? No, I think I was about 20. This thing is not the lightest bag around, but if it was, It probably wouldn't have lasted almost 8 years! It still has years of life left in it, even after all it has been through! Right now, it has about 33 lbs of gear in it.

I go into the woods alone a lot of the time, so the bear spray is always within reach, but it's mostly for bush cats! I've had a few cougar encounters in the past, and there was one that was particularly unpleasant and spooky. But that is another story.

I used to use just rubber straps, but I found them a bit bouncy for larger loads. for my big pack, I now use a combination of fiber straps, as well as the rubber ones for extra support or other items on top. My only fear is what would happen if a fiber strap worked loose! At least the rubber ones shear off... I'd best not think about it!

A new tarp, which is very useful on the west coast in winter! It's a good wind break for the tent, as well as keeping the rain off.

And now....... The items!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHULBucGlA4

An MEC Raven sleeping bag rated for 0C in a dry-sack, an inflatable sleeping pad from I forget who,(real comfy and compact), A Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 3 season tent, (about 3 lbs), a first aid kit in the green dry-sack, A ceramic water filter from MSR, The Vancouver Island Backroads Mapbook, A 4 piece Shakespeare Ugly Stick in the sock, and an old graphite shimano reel, a 9" filleting knife, and....... A Hatchet!

Not as sharp as the devil himself, but plenty good enough! 17" handle, and its actually a splitting maul. Sure makes fire easier in the wet.

And some cooking utensils. The stove is another MSR product.

Oh yeah, and a bit more fishing tackle.

I haven't tried out this hoist yet, but It may come in handy some day for moving rocks or trees! It is rated for 1000 Lbs. we'll see how that goes!

And then there is my newest 4 litres of home made storage.

This is the usual set of items I have on me for any ride. They are the bare essentials to get me home! The orange handles are for my can saw.

Real good saw. A friend of mine gave this to me years ago. It was made in Surrey BC, and it still holds an edge!

Front tube, pump, pressure guage, chain breaker, extra links, master link, torch lighter, extra ear plugs, tape, some cliff bars and a compass.

Also in the box wrapped up in a rag are some tools you can't be without.

And the latest addition are these! My new earplugs (from work). They fill your ear with an expanding foam, and take a mold from it to make them. I figured I'd see if I like them before ordering a second set for the motorcycle. I seem to like them, so I better get another set before I loose one! Foam earplugs can't touch these as far as comfort and protection!

Not a usual part of the kit, but these days....... I might be looking at a new stator.......To be continued......This weekend.....

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 03:34 PM