Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #76
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracothius View Post
I have rode a 600. I understand you think a 600 is the bees knees but, when I weigh 300 pounds with gear, then add my wife fully geared, loaded luggage and a full, after market, gas tank, the weight needed to be pulled around will weigh more then the bike itself by a lot. Some 600's would be double their weight at that point. I am saying that with this much weight I could see there being some problems. I'm glad you got a laugh though.
Sounds like you need a Goldwing or a SUV.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #77
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 423
My 250X.......This is cleanest it will ever look (previous owner photo)........

Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #78
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
Sounds like you need a Goldwing or a SUV.
It's like talking to Harley riders and trying to point out flaws with their bikes. I asked for advice and get satirical comments and relpies because the thought that their bikes may not be able to do what I ask of them is absolutely ridiculous. I posted here because I was saying why I (and most people) have not pulled the trigger on a supermoto. Most people will not own more then one bike and need that bike to be able to perfom multiple tasks. Such as the tasks I stated. Then they come on these forums and say, you know I've been riding offroad, onroad, never rode, whatever and I would like advice on whether or not these biikes can handle my needs. The community responds with: of course you idiot, to even think otherwise proves you have never rode one and should just go ride with the dentists who ride once a month on 30,000 dollar motorcycles. Thank you for being just like every other motorcycle clique. The starbucks riders would be proud.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #79
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Quote:
It's like talking to Harley riders and trying to point out flaws with their bikes. I asked for advice and get satirical comments and relpies because the thought that their bikes may not be able to do what I ask of them is absolutely ridiculous. I posted here because I was saying why I (and most people) have not pulled the trigger on a supermoto. Most people will not own more then one bike and need that bike to be able to perfom multiple tasks. Such as the tasks I stated. Then they come on these forums and say, you know I've been riding offroad, onroad, never rode, whatever and I would like advice on whether or not these biikes can handle my needs. The community responds with: of course you idiot, to even think otherwise proves you have never rode one and should just go ride with the dentists who ride once a month on 30,000 dollar motorcycles. Thank you for being just like every other motorcycle clique. The starbucks riders would be proud.
I was aiming for a chuckle, but seem to have hit a nerve.

Let's see:
300lbs with gear
~150lbs with gear (wife)
~15-20 lbs extra gas
~50-60lbs of luggage

so about 500-550 lbs

There are very few bikes that can handle that duty continuously. The Goldwing is one.

I too can only afford 1 bike and it must perform multiple duties. However, it performs 1 job far more than others. That is what drove me to purchase my particular machine. It can still handle the others, but I woudln't use it that way full time. I am sure that you and the wife would not be packing up for a trip every day, but maybe once or twice a season. I would suggest that as a guide.

I do not own a supermoto, but I think it is a great bike for commuting and occasional 2 up touring. Most of all, some back road scratching.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #80
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 224
Yea, sorry about that. Hard to interpret true meaning through here. I get so much crap on here for some of the questions I ask that I always assume people mean it that way. Minus the wife, I'm still around 400lbs with gear, etc. I just dont know if these bikes can handle weight like that every day. Right now I drive 30min to over a hour depending on if I'm going to one of my jobs or school. There are sections where 70-80 mph is the norm for driving speed. I don't plan on having my wife with me too much but, who knows. I keep coming back to the dr 650. It seems to really be able to do anything. Even made to do some things quite well. We'll see. I really need to get her and go ride them. I have rode them by myself and they seem(with some investments in supsension,etc.) to be very capable machines.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #81
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Quote:
Yea, sorry about that. Hard to interpret true meaning through here. I get so much crap on here for some of the questions I ask that I always assume people mean it that way. Minus the wife, I'm still around 400lbs with gear, etc. I just dont know if these bikes can handle weight like that every day. Right now I drive 30min to over a hour depending on if I'm going to one of my jobs or school. There are sections where 70-80 mph is the norm for driving speed. I don't plan on having my wife with me too much but, who knows. I keep coming back to the dr 650. It seems to really be able to do anything. Even made to do some things quite well. We'll see. I really need to get her and go ride them. I have rode them by myself and they seem(with some investments in supsension,etc.) to be very capable machines.
Not a problem. You are right, it is hard to tell when someone is joking or being a jerk. I have been accused of both and worse. (must use more smileys)

I have a KLX650. It is similar in ergo's to a KLR, but the engine is different, more powerful. They were only shipped to the USA from 93-96 but were sold until the early 2000's elsewhere. I got it because @6'7" it fit me and the main purpose of commuting with light trails and occasional 2 up riding.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #82
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
I really like supermotos but, only want to own one bike. I want to go on/off road, have a passenger, gor for 300 miles without stopping(have to get a bigger tank on most bikes) and carry a decent bit of luggage. I don't know if i could get one then add a tank, soft luggage and have it carry me and my wife on occasion(cruise 80 by mself, speed limit with her). Everyone I talk to seems to think a single might not be able to handle this as I by myself weigh 265 with no gear at all. I also don't really want to have close service intervals. My current bike is like this and it bothers me. If yoou guys have an idea I would be more then greatful to hear it.
I missed this post and see that your have the challenge of requiring your bike to carry a larger than normal amount of weight. I personally would not suggest any 600 cc bike for this task, supermoto or not. You need a larger framed, heavier suspended and larger power source to meet your needs.

The SM630 has no problem with two up riding with 320 lbs total weight as a reference. However, for this particular bike, 500-550 lbs may be more than the bike could safely carry or for that matter any supermoto.

What type of bike do you own now?
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #83
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
I personally would not suggest any 600 cc bike for this task, supermoto or not. You need a larger framed, heavier suspended and larger power source to meet your needs.
I agree. I'm 6-5 and about 250 with gear. My smaller friends joke (point and laugh) at me on my 640A. I'm one of only a few that make that bike look small. If you're another 50 lbs and wanting to carry the wife and gear while still being able to rocket down merge lanes, a single cylinder is not for you.

If you want something to do that I suggest a twin. A 950 Super Enduro with SM wheels would be trick. Or a 1200GS. Any sport tourer as well.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #84
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,436
Them Ducati Hypermotards look pretty sweet too...
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #85
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Them Ducati Hypermotards look pretty sweet too...
Kinda like it too except for the mirrors

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #86
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
I put 17 inch wheels on my DR650 and haven’t looked back. I am surprised that SM hasn’t taken off more in the US. The bikes are fun to ride, there’s a lot of amateur racing around, I commute 30 miles a day on mine 9 months a year and they are cheap to insure and maintain. Plus you risk less in repairs if crashed.
I guess we’ll (the SM faithful) just have to keep building our own for now.
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #87
jtworldwide2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
After having it for a few years there is no way that i would give mine up. There are a few things it does not do well, you are not going to roll 100 miles on the highway a day and enjoy it. But tight stuff, dirt roads, fire roads, pot holes, street jumps(speed bumps) there is nothing that is more fun.
Shamless pics

Another kalamazoo guy at local bike night we raided which is a typical harley chrome fest. Needless to say he got a couple looks
jtworldwide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #88
JHV 654cc
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Well I think that average riders are afraid of the challenge what a supermoto can offer...
I have KTM 660 and it's my only bike which has about 24000km on the clock and it keeps crowing every summer.
It is good for touring and very good for track days... what else do you need?
It's not perfect, but it will be interesting for the same reason that's why I bought it...for the challenge.
Why everything has to be so easy nowadays...
Stop whining and buy yourself a supermoto then you'll know what's the life's for.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #89
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post

nice SMJ video

That looks like a group of us except there are way more there and I'm not that good at popping wheelies

As stated before, I love my SM. Just bought another set of 17"s and some D606s so I can play on the power lines some more.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #90
SUPERPOWERPHIL
sounds like a plan..

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Not exactly a supermoto, but super anyway and supermoto styled:

It Honks!
Holy Bavarian Bombshell!!! That thing looks like a hell of a good time!

The end of the road is just the begining.
SUPERPOWERPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote