Old 01-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #92
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
So,...........................

Some said some not,................

The race:
Following it.
Mischa did again a great job. And it is awsome. And listed wishes too .
But liked the idea off a second independed racingboard, there two in the Netherlands now.
So one fails the otherone runs, many reporters used it during the race for comment,
RaceRiskmanagement.

Lots of people following the top riders and hoped not to be 205. Looks like a race on ADV.
The establised F5 crew find not top10 riders information on position, not easy too find background story.
This takes time to check and following the race

ADVer:
The lurkers, fine, someday they mix up. Was one too.
Those, these, the ADV Dakar is a international thread.
There some ADVer who dig up search for stories, background information, this takes a lot off time, but like the stories off the established crew wo has the skills too regulation and rules,.
The science off knowing where too look.

Lurker next year take a project, a rider, foto, local news, country (translated english) and do some digging, you see that Dakar gone live more in your mind. All small projects makes a biggy.

Tryed to do this the last year, take and give.

Then there must come out a more informational firehose,..................

This all give the dakar more intensity.

Riders:
Riders make the stories, nice too hear the ins and out.
A good not basic question, give use a good impression.
It's a shame that we do not know and have too find out the riders in the classes.

Aso mail. perhaps.
Nice too see races in a race.

More women riders wanted,....................and in the casting crew.
Shame that i do not understand Alina well, nice turning of facts, hey, official dakar shirt is expensive. ha.
Asked the seller. Dakarfun.

Radio:

Rallyradio,
3 weeks live braodcast.

How:
Am i dreaming. Maybe experimental.
Music, that fade away when talking notes. Music delays between them.
Is it possible to make from text voice.
The established crew has a separate official website screen with star boxes, important news the give three stars done that the program broadcast it. And a replay button 1 2 3 times over a hour So a webradio with spoken notes from the official dakar race thread.

So that hayduke can print his F5 t shirts.
And write a note when he can.

TV:
Llike to have 1 hour only bikes. Eurosport or what ever.
More privateers in action. I like to live 1 categorie intensively, bikes, and not from all some. I saw that i turned eurosport down, to do something else when truck appeared, okay looked with a half eye.

Hoped that more TV stations send out HD quality streams. Like TN argentina, TVpublica had the start, TV peru the finish, in low quality. Perhaps now write these stations if start finish is know for next year. There goverments spend so much money in the Dakar and missed the oppertunity too broadcasts it properly too the world. Marketing faillure.
Now i know about peru.

Video:
I saw so much camera's in the crowd during the race and so less on the internet. There, i hoped too find more privateers riders to pop up.

Foto:
Behind the scene, last year i liked a reportage of a guy that mostly only maked pictures of the crew route, what happend in the surroundings. Nice shots, missed it this year.

Social media:
Separation off bikes cars and trucks.
Their groups all over the world, mostly canalazation all dakar news.

As we are bike forum,....................
Stick too one categorie.

Twitter:
There twitter accounts, that twitter all.
But their also twitteraccounts that do only bike information
Riders, rallygroups, rallyradio, and such bike orientated groups, individual during thes weeks.

also canalazation of bikes twitteraccounts on a separated webpage.

#
only bikersinformation
not everyone use # dakar or such
i tried a twittersearch on name riders, their popped up some intresting things, some rubbish too, names are common.

But every time to type those names, only for me others can use that too.

All ridersnames in a fill in webpage, twitter names bikes only

Their popped up some nice facebook pages, with pics an stories.

Then on wegpage three-six colloms
North america, south america, europe, asia/russia. africa australia. Continental twitter, Dakar bikes only streams

Facebook:
In the list on the webpage

ADV webpage:
Only updated on dakar times.

What would you do if there was no base ADV forum.
also and, mischa page, if we did not have that, how would it be in the firehose this this year.

So for the better things, a good base is the..............................

So too all ADV programmers, hope you all can give us the base for a next more exceptional, intensive, qualitative Dakar 2013. You got a whole year,

Open a thread

Sorry for my language failures, as i normally.....................also use one finger f5.so the otherones are.......now i wrote some down what comes up, crashed a few times and never looked over the shoulder if some car/truck is coming. So just use the sentinel....................

Just some thoughts.

If you do not understand, just ask and i do my best to explain what i mean.

Myway screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 01:29 PM Reason: finger corrections
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #93
PackMule OP
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep8 View Post
On board video from a bike(s) would be interesting, like going down the giant hill, or thru spectators who are too close, entire specials, riding thru the camps(bivowac), even the liasons. Maybe with the rider mic-ed. Maybe its out there and I don't know where to look. I have been watching the dakar on tv for years and this is the first time on a lap top. I appreciate all the work that went into this,great job.
Goncalves had a ton (maybe every stage?) of helmet cam video last year. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #94
PackMule OP
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
That's the first I've heard of the racing mods at being overzealous. I've been hanging around long enough to know that there is Jo momma and then there is the rest of the site and Jo momma continues to exist for a reason and part of that reason is why it is separated from the rest of the forums. The moderation hand here is pretty light, but after 20 pages of calling Despres and Petehansel a dick, enough was enough. I wasn't censorship, it was the voices of reason culling crap to get the conversation kick started again.

Think of the mods as the supremely generous Paulo Goncalves digging the conversation out of the mud for it to get going again at full speed. Like Goncalves, the mods do their job, smiling and unthanked.
As Flood mentioned either here or in another thread, one of the truly fantastic things here on ADV is how "free" the discussion is. Oldtimers will lament that it's not like it was in the "good old days". but there aren't 100 people around the campfire any more, either. Finding the balance point is the trick.

Things slipped from discussion to disrespect for a bit. One post from me with a request to mind our manners, and nothing more needed to be said. I appreciate that immensely, especially with the energy and emotion that this event brings out in people, and I think it reflects well on the type of community that we have here. Thank you, all.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #95
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,862
Wink

Fly us all down there and help support in any way we can, pits, motor changes, recon, catering, etc...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #96
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Goncalves had a ton (maybe every stage?) of helmet cam video last year. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Also worth a look up is Pedro Bianchi Prata. He always does a ton of helmet cam stuff, nice quality too. He had a quiet rally this year with a lot of stages in the 40's and 50's placements.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #97
PackMule OP
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
So,...........................

Some said some not,................

Lurker next year take a project, a rider, foto, local news, country (translated english) and do some digging, you see that Dakar gone live more in your mind. All small projects makes a biggy.

Tryed to do this the last year, take and give.

Just some thoughts.

Fantastic input, Myway!

Really enjoying everyone's suggestions here. Lots to take in and think about. Many things that I've been thinking about for a long time, and some new great ideas, as well.

Still playing catch up "in the real world", but we've got time to lay a roadbook ahead of us. This year highlighted some interesting possibilities.

Keep it coming, all.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #98
PackMule OP
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Also worth a look up is Pedro Bianchi Prata. He always does a ton of helmet cam stuff, nice quality too. He had a quiet rally this year with a lot of stages in the 40's and 50's placements.
That struck me this year, too. Any of our Nomads friends know what's up?

EDIT: Looks like Goncalves' videos that I was thinking of are posted under the BianchiPrata team youtube.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #99
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:

Keep it coming, all.
But who is the fixer?
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #100
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,143
I think the moderating was just right. You might have reasonably stepped in sooner, but you erred on the side of letting things be while putting at ended to what needed to be stopped.

I'm a fan of not ruining a good thing by trying to make it perfect.

Cross-posting: we need more of it. Unimportant stuff, yes, we can encourage people to not dump everything into the main thread. But once I got behind the snowball I put my time into the main thread and had to leave some of the other threads alone for a while. When I finally got a chance to read them I was surprised to see some pretty significant content that never made it in to the main thread. I'm less worried about 10 more pounds of pressure in the firehose than missing important things. I say people should be encouraged to cross-post anything that people in the main thread would want to read/see.

If planting a Team F5 person in the bivouacs each night isn't possible, I think just trying to arrange for more information for the people already there is close enough. Think about how significant a few tweets from Team Dakar GB racers were. Just getting the people already on the ground there to share the information at their fingertips seems like it would provide bang for their buck. What if Team F5 bought a rider (or support person) a GoPro camera & data card and gave them a way to get the the data relatively easily? Could we get Scotty Breauxman to do our bidding? Maybe we could talk SpeedEnergy into doing some coverage on the bikes (they put together some great videos on the cars!).

But that's the challenging part: how to get photos or video back to the U.S. via the interweb when that's a lot of data to upload. (Having Ted there solved the problem for this year's Dakar, as did Neil there in person). Twitter pictures helped a lot too.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #101
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 11,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I'm a fan of not ruining a good thing by trying to make it perfect.

Nicely put.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #102
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
Quote:
Looking forward to it, Jaybo!

Here's a call from the Safari: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/08OzSaf09.mp3

Ned really laid some fantastic groundwork this year. I hope we can keep it going!
Thanks for that Nate. Just listening to that again really took me back. My first stage of my first ever Rally! Now three years on and I think I still have that same excitement when talking about Rally racing!

It also made me think back to one occasion when I stopped on a big dune in the Desert Challenge a couple of years ago. I had got stuck, but it wasn't a big problem and I knew what I needed to do to get out, but the big thing was it was a relief to have an excuse to stop because I had been busting for a pee for ages. So I had taken my helmet and jacket off (it was about 48DegC!) and walked away a few meters to relieve myself. Next thing my phone beeps as I got a text message. It was my sister saying something along the lines of "I see you're stopped on the tracking system. Hope you're okay and get moving soon." That message was really touching. I replied that I was taking a "nature break" and would be underway again soon. Then used the phone to take a picture of the situation (the bike stuck, not me pee'ing) and then carried on. Moments like that really make the memories stick. I suspect Ned will remember a couple of his Rally Radio calls in a similar vein and I look forward to doing the same at Dakar 2013.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #103
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,174
If Ned's not racing next year, who are we gonna goat rope into calling in to Rallye Raidio?

I'd love to have someone like Robby or JC call for the cars. THAT would be quite the call! (RG is such a 'promotional' guy, I doubt it'd be terribly hard to get him to talk to us... )

AFA 'what could we do differently?' Ummmm errrrr I got nuthin.

M
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #104
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 11,157
Gummee! makes a point- this could be a high-water mark. After all- not every rider that we could possibly support would be so excited about making daily calls, etc.

And really- I wouldn't want them to feel obligated to do so. I felt really lucky that Ned checked in- it made the experience better than it's ever been - but that's a lot to ask from someone who's doing the Dakar. When I support someone to run the Dakar, I am supporting their Dakar run- however they want to do it. And I'm cool with that.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #105
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Gummee! makes a point- this could be a high-water mark. After all- not every rider that we could possibly support would be so excited about making daily calls, etc.

And really- I wouldn't want them to feel obligated to do so. I felt really lucky that Ned checked in- it made the experience better than it's ever been - but that's a lot to ask from someone who's doing the Dakar. When I support someone to run the Dakar, I am supporting their Dakar run- however they want to do it. And I'm cool with that.

I think if we could point any US Dakar rider hopefuls that want to try next year to the the 2012 F5irehose threads and Ned's Thread and Nates RallyRAIDio site then... I bet if they read up and listened they could get pretty fired-up to call in too! Just an idea.

We need to get our own Dakar-educated mechanically-able Adelaide Sans Guyere. An F5reporter cutie-pie just crazy enough to join the the RPA crew, then she could use the charm to get the racers to talk. Alina certainly gets the interviews better than scruffy unshaven F5roughnecks, just sayin'
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote