ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 AM   #16
matus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
If understood properly, this part should be enough

http://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchan...Category_Code=
matus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #17
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 902
I'm in the process of doing a freewheel gear and "sprag" change using the info from this thread, so thought it only fair to pay back the good work of others with some pics of the LC4 to LC8 change over

Pic 1 - shows the damaged LC8 race and lock ring on the left with the new LC4 race (Ktm Part No 58440026000) on the right

Pic 2 - carefully pry the retention spring from the groove in the elliptical rollers and gently "roll" it from the race.

Pic 3 - shows the spring, elliptical rollers and cage of the dismantled LC4 race.

Pic 4 - dismantle the damaged LC8 race, taking notice of how the rollers sit/face.
The rollers will probably look something like mine. If you look closely you can make out the flat spots, my retention spring wasn't real flash either.

Pic 5 - now install the LC4 rollers in the LC8 cage, making sure all rollers are facing the right way and the retention groove is facing out.
Once all rollers are installed carefully pry/roll the retention spring into place

Pic 6 - the refurbished LC8 race, lock ring and rotor. before reassembly make sure to remove all traces of the old loctite, oil etc, clean everything down with loctite solvent/cleaner. I used wax and grease remover.
Notice the alignment marks I added before disassembly, these make lining the thread holes a lot easier/quicker, the loctite 648 goes off fairly quickly.

The rest of the job is as per the manual.
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #18
mikeinviaggio
mechanical engineer

Oddometer: 16
Hello Guys,
I can not solve the typical KTM 950 2004 freewheel problem. I try to explain you.
My starter was faulty so I changed the beams token from KTM 640 freewheel and everything was fine for 3 days than exactly the same problem.
So I disassembled again everything and I discovered that everything was fine except for the wear on the outside flange and inside surface of the sprocket.
So I decided to machine both the minimum request to get flat and clean surface where the freewheel spins bun unfortunately the clearance now is too much.

So I have 3 question for you guys :

- are the 2 surface machined flat or there is an original roughness to hold the beams ?

- before I machined the outside flange I mesured 68,50 mm , but I forgot to mesure the sprocket and I need the original dimension.

Is there someone of you that have a pic of a brand new flange or sprocket just to have an idea how the parts looks new ?

Thanks to everybody and happy easter from Italy !
mikeinviaggio is offline   Reply With Quote