User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #151
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Riding & Wrenching

Paul (Oregon Coast) will soon be starting a new 2012 Mexican 1000 thread, so this will be my last major post here regarding Outta Sight Racing and Baja prep, I will continue to post my own projects and race efforts, but we want to keep the bulk of the Baja related material in one location.

Had a great ride yesterday with 3/4 of the OSR riders (sorry Paul Jr. was not there!) ~ Paul Sr., Luke and myself rode in the Tillamook forest on a gorgeous clear/cold day. This was meant to be a training ride and were all on our "modern" bikes. Paul & Luke took it easy at first and when I was able to handle the easier stuff decided to go to a particularly difficult hill. Just getting up the approach of this hill was a challenge and Paul & Luke had to give an assist when I was hung up on a rocky slope. When we hit the main hill, it took three tries before I finally made it, boy was I tired, happy and relieved! Later when we were descending another particularly steep and rocky trail and were stopping for some riders coming up, I used a little too much front brake and had a good view of my mx boots going over my head in the clear blue sky! Because I wear every type of riding protection possible, nothing was wounded except my pride. In three hours we only covered 17 miles, mostly because they had to stop and wait for me. All in all a good ride and a starting point for honing skills and developing conditioning.

OSR Riders V.75 ~ After the ride ~ old guy on the right has been rode hard and put away wet!

Our gracious shop host Lonnie;

Master welder Ray;

Ray mocking up the shocks (pre-loaded length) with rigid struts. Luke is the mathemetician behind all of our chassis geometry, the rest of us chime in with all of our opinions and Luke sifts thru those for anything useful;

Once the struts were in place, we set in a spare motor (for weight) and added the seat, fuel tank and anything else that would help Luke make reasonably accurate assumptions when ordering the new shocks and springs;

The end of a long and productive day, note the care and concern our fearless leader (Paul) shows for the irreplaceable Ray;

Stay tuned for much much more. The scrambler should be finished within the next week and I plan to start the rework of my "barn fresh" twin into something resembling Paul's ultra clean Baja racer.

Our gracious shop host Lonnie;
Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #152
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 822
Looking good guys!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #153
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,404
Yep...seriously thinking of running Baja with those struts instead of shocks. Baja hardtail style...beat that!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #154
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Hey LC,
I used vinegar to clean rust out of a CL100 tank. That worked like a charm. Got every bit of rust out after a few days of sitting....

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #155
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Vinegar

Cool, maybe I'll do a quick follow up on the CL350 tank and make sure all that the coke left behind was indeed the stained liner. If the vinegar works that well, that could become the "go-to"! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Hey LC,
I used vinegar to clean rust out of a CL100 tank. That worked like a charm. Got every bit of rust out after a few days of sitting....
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #156
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Scrambler 2, Old Man 0

So the title pretty much sums up the weekend, including this morning's effort to post on ADV. I had written a long and detailed story regarding the weekend's failed efforts to make the Scrambler run, but when finished the post, including pictures, just disappeared. Sheesh. So here is an abbreviated version;

Saturday installed complete fuel system from race bike, reasoning it had ran only a month ago, it was the "sure thing" to get the Scrambler started;

Despite very careful efforts at setting valves and ignition, the best I could get on Saturday was a large backfire out of the carbs. Tried reversing the points advance cam, but that only changed the point at which the backfire occurred.

Sunday morning, cold and snowy, heading out to shop;

It was bit chilly inside as well;

Built a fire and started the heater buddy, then went to work. I will save you all the gory details until later, suffice it to say I started at square one, taking the top end apart as far as possible while still in the frame;

...and checking the cam installation against the Clymer manual and also comparing with the sage advice of Paul's Honda Master Mechanic Gary. It seems to be installed correctly;

Cam pin is up and sprocket correctly aligned. Problem must somehow be in the advance unit. I tried several different ways of timing and advancing and double checking that the bike was on the TDC of the FIRING stroke, but the only progress really made is it no longer backfires, still wont start. During times of contemplation I did adjust the rear chain & rear brakes, installed the muffler, hooked up the clutch and jury rigged the electric starter. All good things.

Since I have today off, am headed out shortly to have another go at it, wish me luck!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #157
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

It Lives!

As they say, the devil is in the details. Started out the morning going back over all of the basics, looking for that one detail that had been missed. I decided to make one small test to verify the ignition was actually firing at the precise moment the timing mark was reached. I did that by removing the plugs, snapping them into their boots and putting them against the cylinder head, then taking my 14mm box wrench on the rotor bolt and gently rolling the engine thru the firing marks with the ignition on. So I began this process and as the rotor passed thru the LF mark, no spark!!!! WTF? So I continued to roll it over as I wanted to see at what point the Left plug WOULD fire. Oddly enough, as I continued to roll it thru and then reached the RF mark (it is simply marked as an F on the rotor) and then it fired. Suddenly it dawned on me. I had thought the coil was hanging somewhat lower than normal and had not realized that someone, at some point, had relocated the coil on the bottom of the frame brace and at that time REVERSED the plug wires. It looked so much like normal that I, like others before me, had missed this small detail. Doh!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I was pretty happy to make this discovery, and as soon as the wires were reversed, it immediately started!

It ran a little ratty at idle and seemed to be running only on the LH cylinder unless revved up, so I took the bowl off and found a dirty idle jet. Cleaned the jet, reassembled, and it was tiny bit better, but still not right. As it was running, I stuck my finger in the carb throat to feel the vacuum slide, on the LH it was moving freely with the engine load, but the RH was stuck in the up position. I can only surmise it was popped upward during one of the backfires. After pulling the carb top off and freeing the slide, it ran much better and idled smoothly.

To say this made my day would be an understatement. This afternoon I plan to tidy up the wiring and controls, soak the stock Scrambler fuel tank with vinegar for a final cleaning and generally start putting things back together and make it at least somewhat ride-able. Stay tuned for a ride report!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #158
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,505
Wahoooo way to go Rick.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #159
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,404
Nicely done, Rick. Very nice! That motor has probably not been started in 20 years or more because of that...as it was last registered in 1983!

Now, someone needs to buy a nice, running, 1973 Honda CL Scrambler project with a clean Oregon title!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #160
awshouse
Downwardly mobile

Oddometer: 435
Now I've read your whole damn thread and the 1000 thread and you guys are making me want to make a bad decision. OC replied to my thread looking for folks who know these bikes as I want to get my father one to work on when he retires this summer. After reading this I really, really want one for me too! I just know I can't... my tiny urban garage has 4 bikes in it and I'm currently scheming on a tear down/rebuild of the garage... so too many things in the air. But I'm really excited to see what you guys are up to and I so appreciate you taking the time to share. Sooner or later we'll have one or two DLs or SLs to play with too.

Anyway-- great stuff. Thanks and keep having fun.

Andy
awshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #161
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,505
There's always room for one more bike.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #162
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

CL350 ~ Getting Close!

This project is almost to the finish line. Last night I made more progress on the wiring and found that, just like the coils, the front turn signals had been reversed, so the color coding was off. At least this time it didn't take days to figure it out. Anyway, most of the important electricals are now working and I'm nearly ready to button this project up, the only things left in that regard are to install the petcock & fuel lines (and fuel filters) pull and clean the clutch discs (they are firmly stuck from sitting so many years) and install the front brake cable. Even though not completely finished with the mechancials, I just had to start putting the bike back together so I could enjoy looking at this classic bike.

I don't know what it is about these Scramblers, they just have a great look about them! Looking forward to just spending a few hours polishing it up!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #163
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Riding!

Rode it! Got home from work and decided to get the old girl out and ride it before calling it a night. Installed petcock, fuel lines and a few other bits, and she fired right up. I had planned to pull and clean the clutch, but thought "what the heck, sometimes they will free themselves" and sure enough, the first trip down the drive way (after making a rolling start), I pulled in the clutch lever and the discs came free. Nice. She runs pretty well for having sat all these years and the trans shifted nice and smooth. Just a little more work on mechanicals and adjustments and then I can spend a little time on the polish and elbow grease. And yes, I am grinning!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #164
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,873
Woot

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #165
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 335
Good looking scoot. I agree with your love for the looks of those old scrambler. I heard a rumor about an old CL in a garage near home. I'm trying to develop a plan to get that one and keep my wife. The SL about put her over the edge. Love following you Oregon guys.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote