Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #451
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,019
Took my 500 on it's first real ride through some of aust hi country here in Victoria containing steep ridge tracks and lots of river crossing. Covered about 150km and not one complaint I love this bike over taking on seep down hills picking any line I want power on tap and I love the suspension the faster you go the better it gets

one of the many steep decents taken fron about 5km away

same picture with zoom

Mudguts screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 07:43 PM
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #452
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Tested out the five-hunny with the JD 6X tuner on Sunday. Desmog complete and we were at 75 degrees, 75% humidity and at sea level. Leaving the tuner with the stock settings this is the bike I wanted!!! It runs cooler, the fan only came on once after some really slow technical riding (stock thermo) and the initial idle is much lower. I only had it stall once (rider error, not a flame-out), which you can see in the video. From the bottom end to top end, it pulls like a 500 should, very linear with excellent traction. With the tight trails I ride, it really likes to be lugged around, it really helps the bike lay over in the corners that way...

I also installed new springs front and rear. I went with a .46kg in the front (stock is .44) and a PDS-4 (8.5 - 11.1) in the rear (stock is a 7.2 straight rate). I was a little skeptical as I though I may have gone to stiff as I'm 185 without riding gear, but I wanted a suspension that I could load down with a bit of travel bags and do some overnighter trips. These springs allowed the bike to stay up in the travel a lot better than stock (still has stock valving) in both the straights and the corners. Gone is the feeling of the front end diving underneath you as you try to stick a well bermed corner. I can get on the gas sooner now as the rear isn't fully squatted and can move around as needed. I can seat bounce it over roots like I did my '08 250 XC-W 2-smoker and wiggle between trees with zero issues. This thing is a blast!!!

Here are a couple videos of the tight trails in the Pan-handle of Florida...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0anHHDnctnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wCVPoMPtg

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #453
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Thanks for your thoughts on the 'Tuner.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #454
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Spoke to Acerbis USA about a larger tank for the 500. They stated they were working on them and actually had instructions on hand explaining the install for 2012 350 models. They expected tanks here around april in the 4+ gallon and 5+ gallon sizes. Hopefully those will include a tank for the 500.
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #455
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
Acerbis Tanks

I've also been in communication with Acerbis.
I've been told that you can call up "JustGasTanks.com" and pre-order with them for the larger Acerbis tank.....

Here is the info for the KTM 2012 500 EXC.

2250340001 A T EXC350/500,XCF-W:12,XCF:11-12 5.3GAL black
2250340147 A T EXC350/500,XCF-W:12,XCF:11-12 5.3GAL natural

SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #456
derrickbwg
Adventurer

I called Justgastanks.com to pre order and they are in the process of revamping their KTMsection for the new 2012 models. Hopefully in a week that info will be available online was the response
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #457
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickbwg View Post
I called Justgastanks.com to pre order and they are in the process of revamping their KTMsection for the new 2012 models. Hopefully in a week that info will be available online was the response
Sweet!

I was given that information by a guy at Acerbis. Looking forward to getting a 5 gal tank for the long hauls.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #458
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cool2 jd 6x tuner

[QUOTE=reidinitaly;17817298]Tested out the five-hunny with the JD 6X tuner on Sunday. Desmog complete and we were at 75 degrees, 75% humidity and at sea level. Leaving the tuner with the stock settings this is the bike I wanted!!!

hey bra
where and how did you mount the jd tuner ? does it make a big differance

happy landings

evel knievel
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #459
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I received a whole kit that included plugs.
I have yet to Desmog yet, but that is certainly next on the list. The backfiring is.....

Having desmogged my 500 EXC let me warn you. The "plug" that comes with the bike is not the correct bolt to screw into the engine head. Take the nut with you to the hardware or automotive store and get the correct nut. Try threading the "plug" into the head and you may find yourself with a tap in your shaking hands working on your brand new bike. Other than this bike runs great without EPA junk.
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #460
derrickbwg
Adventurer

I got 3 different plugs/bolts in my kit in a little bag. The one for the cylinder had a copper colored washer just like the piece that came out and matched the threads perfectly and was the correct length. It also matched in looks the other plugs in the cylinder from the factory.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #461
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
Having desmogged my 500 EXC let me warn you. The "plug" that comes with the bike is not the correct bolt to screw into the engine head. Take the nut with you to the hardware or automotive store and get the correct nut. Try threading the "plug" into the head and you may find yourself with a tap in your shaking hands working on your brand new bike. Other than this bike runs great without EPA junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickbwg View Post
I got 3 different plugs/bolts in my kit in a little bag. The one for the cylinder had a copper colored washer just like the piece that came out and matched the threads perfectly and was the correct length. It also matched in looks the other plugs in the cylinder from the factory.

Yeah, I'v read a bit about how the bolts provided were not the correct bolts.

I as well received a few bolts in a little baggie. Tonight I'm going to take a closer look at them and see what matches up and what doesn't. I'll post up what I find....
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #462
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Ask IMS for a 4 gallon fuel tank

For all of you new 500EXC or 350EXC owners out there that ride in places like Death Valley where the my ideal fuel tank size is 4.0 gallons, please start sending e-mails to IMS asking them to build one.

IMS has a 3 gallon fuel tank in the works for the 500EXC but no 4 gallon model. I've been using a 4 gallon guel tank on my DRZ400S and that amount of fuel takes me just about anywhere I want to ride.

You can find IMS at imsproducts.com

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #463
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
For all of you new 500EXC or 350EXC owners out there that ride in places like Death Valley where the my ideal fuel tank size is 4.0 gallons, please start sending e-mails to IMS asking them to build one.

IMS has a 3 gallon fuel tank in the works for the 500EXC but no 4 gallon model. I've been using a 4 gallon guel tank on my DRZ400S and that amount of fuel takes me just about anywhere I want to ride.

Thanks.

Or you could contact Just Gas Tanks about the Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank.....

Acerbis already has part numbers for their 5.3 gallon tank.

the last I heard from JustGasTanks was that they were getting ready to update their catalog to include these items....
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #464
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Acerbis is interested too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post

Thanks.
I spoke to Brian Fullertonn @ Acerbis USA and they were itnerested to see how much interest there was as well for a 4- 4.5 gallon tank. I pointed him out to my local shop that as several enduro riders that can fiish the race and the 13L ktm or clock works models.

Remember the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Send Brian a email and lets see what we can get done.

Brian.F@acerbis.com
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #465
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Or you could contact Just Gas Tanks about the Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank.....

Acerbis already has part numbers for their 5.3 gallon tank.

the last I heard from JustGasTanks was that they were getting ready to update their catalog to include these items....
I spoke to Brian on December 16 last year he told me about the 5.3 gallon and are also going to make one that was 3 gallon, which is kind of worthless considering the stock points 2 1/2 clockworks is 3.2 and KTM has a 13 L which comes out to 3 1/2 gallons. I explained to him that several enduro racers that I know can't make the race on one tank of gas with the clockworks3.2 gal or the KTM 3.5 gallon.

I don't understand why all aftermarket fuel tank guys can't even pay attention to what people were saying out there. A factory tank is 2.5 gallons and they have always made 6 gallons why not make something more in between like 4 or 4.5 gallon tank for those of us that don't want to be considered the Exxon Valdez.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote