Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #46
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfs225 View Post
Thanks for the kind reply.
I'm just teasing ya a little.If I am not mistaken,all the attachments have been turned off on the entire forum.I don't know of a web service that hosts gpx files.Maybe google docs?
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #47
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,615
Quote:
I am trying to attach a .gpx file in my reply to a thread "four corners ride" Missouri forum and I can not. That option has been turned off.

Have I been banned or limited in some way? I can not imagine what I did if that is the case.
All attachments have been turned off in the forums, with the exception of .gpx files in the GPS forum. Let me see what we can do about regionals.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #48
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 307
attachments

Thanks. I suspected I was being paranoid but just because you don't see someone hiding behind that tree doesn't mean they're not there.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #49
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,552
Hey Baldy, I don't post many pictures but since the "attachments" have been turned off you leave me no choice but to sign up for your other line up, smugmug. I have looked at other hosting sites but since you are 'da ma here you deserve the support.

Thanks for all you do and don't stop......................I nearly freaked out when you shut down for the day last week!

THANK YOU

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #50
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
All attachments have been turned off in the forums, with the exception of .gpx files in the GPS forum. Let me see what we can do about regionals.

The ez work around for that would be to post your .gpx in the gps forum and then link that post in the appropriate regional. The advantage is that it would introduce members to an area of the forum that they might not ever visit.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #51
lfs225
Can Am Rider

no attachments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
The ez work around for that would be to post your .gpx in the gps forum and then link that post in the appropriate regional. The advantage is that it would introduce members to an area of the forum that they might not ever visit.
You are correct but......I don't see how that saves any disc storage space for baldy. Assuming that's the reason he did it. Perhaps THERE is another reason.

I happen to have his SmugMug so picture attachments are no problem. But .gpx are.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #52
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Quote:
You are correct but......I don't see how that saves any disc storage space for baldy. Assuming that's the reason he did it. Perhaps THERE is another reason.
Not having attachments also eliminates photo attachments. They hog much more space than the occasional .gpx file. I would think that it would be much more difficult to turn on attachments for .gpx files and not for others. If it could be done, it would also generate much confusion.

Look how many people cannot figure out how to post a photo with attachments shut off.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #53
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Wicked

Quote:
Not having attachments also eliminates photo attachments. They hog much more space than the occasional .gpx file. I would think that it would be much more difficult to turn on attachments for .gpx files and not for others. If it could be done, it would also generate much confusion.

Look how many people cannot figure out how to post a photo with attachments shut off.
Maybe I don't understand. There is only one site. One storage location. If you can attach photos on forum one and not forum two and everyone moves over to forum one to attach their photos I do not see where that has saved Baldy any space on his site.

Said another way, for my benefit (I'm slow).....if we move over to the "laying down tracks" to post our .gpx files (where I suppose we could also post pictures) then how has Baldy's space problem benefited?

I'm all for helping this site stay viable and helping Baldy as much as we can (thus SmugMug for me) but it would appear that a pledge drive to help Baldy purchase more equipment might be in order.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #54
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,615
I think you should be able to post .gpx anywhere. Your issue might be filesize? (2.5 MB limit)
Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #55
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Quote:
Said another way, for my benefit (I'm slow).....if we move over to the "laying down tracks" to post our .gpx files (where I suppose we could also post pictures) then how has Baldy's space problem benefited?
The number of people that post .gpx files is tiny compared to the number that post photos as attachments. Posting an unrelated photo in the GPS forum and then linking it to avoid a hosting site would probably warrant a trip to band camp. Either that or the post would be moved to JM and the attachment deleted, as no attachments are allowed in JM.

If that makes sense.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #56
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Yes, thanks for the help. And I think Jarvis is correct too. My third mistake. Dang when will I ever learn.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #57
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
I think you should be able to post .gpx anywhere. Your issue might be filesize? (2.5 MB limit)
When I reply to this thread, there is an attach button in the toolbar. When I reply to a thread in Australia's regional forum, there is no attach button.

So it's got nothing to do with filesize.

Quote:
The number of people that post .gpx files is tiny compared to the number that post photos as attachments.
I've worked with forum admin areas a few times... and I'm certain there is a button somewhere "allow jpg attachments" which can simply be removed, while still allowing gpx attachments.

I think it's a real shame we can't attach photos anymore. Third party services go away all the time, or members stop paying the bill. I've always been using the "attach" feature, even though I've got plenty of other places I could put it, because I want to know that as long as adv stays online, my photo will also stay around.

Surely if money is the reason this was turned off, the solution is to find some sort of revenue model for the site? A "pro" membership system or advertising should more than cover the minimal cost of image hosting (I work in the hosting industry... believe me, hosting photos is cheap as).
Old 02-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #58
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
because I want to know that as long as adv stays online, my photo will also stay around.
That is not a sound assumption.

There are plenty of attached photos that have been deleted during a server upgrade or software upgrade.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #59
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,660
Since the names are no longer at the bottom of the page, how can you tell where you have posted?

In the past I would post in all kinds of threads and then go back and see the responses. You could participate more.

I can't remember where I've posted now. Should I just write it down?

PS ADV is the best site on the Internet.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #60
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,660
I can't remember WTF I posted.

Would you please put the names at the bottom of the page again?
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: