Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Thanks Rufus- I never thought about that. I'm not much of a two stroke guy but I am going to fire up an oldie soon.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #17
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
it is a major ballache to have to try and mix fuel at the gas station, but if you arent going far you can do it at home and just never use more than a tank when you're out

youll need to upjet if you are running premix.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,390
I am restoring a 1979 RD 400, and may of people eliminate the pump, I will not for several reasons 1 mixing on the road sucks, and the injection system is proven, it was tough for me because I changed carbs without injector ports so I just mounted some, I will stick with this, because it is not broken so I no fixty

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
Bud Tugly
Gnarly old curmudgeon

Oddometer: 230
Another vote here for keeping the injector system instead of running premix. If the current oil tank is too big and obtrusive for the look you want, why not just rig up a smaller one you can tuck away under the seat or something?

In my experience bikes with the injector system run cleaner and foul plugs less often.
Bud Tugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,873
Don't do it!

Looks like we're voting here.
+1 for the "keep the injector pump" party. Having owned several pre-mix and injected bikes, I have learned that the oil injector is my friend. Especially on the road. Don't do it.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
Keep the oil injection dude, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Like others have said, it is wonderfull if you plan on riding the bike anywhere serious. All you have to do is top the gas tank off at a fuel stop, check your oil level once in awhile, and ride on. Carrying a bottle of 2stroke oil and measuring untensil stinks. Leave premix for racebikes or vehicles like mopeds where you dont have to fuel up quite as often.

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
lake_harley OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Tugly View Post
Another vote here for keeping the injector system instead of running premix. If the current oil tank is too big and obtrusive for the look you want, why not just rig up a smaller one you can tuck away under the seat or something?

In my experience bikes with the injector system run cleaner and foul plugs less often.
Lotsa input...thanks to all. I had already been thinking the way Bud Tugly suggested, and plan on finding/building a smaller "race inspired" tank....preferably aluminum.

For what it's worth....the bike has been stripped, blasted, freed of some excess tabs and such, and the clean up phase of the project is underway. I'll be priming and painting it (the frame swingarm etc.) with my electrostatic paint system...probably light gray, wheels will be medium gray, and the tank and a few other things will probably end up orange of yeller. Tires (Dunlops with a kinda rough dirt-tracky looking tread pattern, even though they're a little big) are courtesy of my old Sportster that recently got new rubber. Airbox was toast, so it's just getting a K&N pod filter on the case inlet flange where the tube attached from the airbox.

I know....it's not happening unless there are pictures, so one of these days, when I've made a bit more progress I'll post it up in another thread. I guess I'll start one, or would it be OK to post progress in the street/flat trackers thread already going?

Thanks again for the input.

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Bin the oil injection it's crap. Premix is the only way to go, if you want to make 100% sure, your motor is getting oil. Most oil injection systems,have a cable that will feed more oil as your revs go up. The cable will fuk up starve your motor of oil, and bang. If you are to lazy {stupid} to pre-mix oil, buy a 4 stroke.
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
Bin the oil injection it's crap. Premix is the only way to go, if you want to make 100% sure, your motor is getting oil. Most oil injection systems,have a cable that will feed more oil as your revs go up. The cable will fuk up starve your motor of oil, and bang. If you are to lazy {stupid} to pre-mix oil, buy a 4 stroke.

BOOO to the Aussie they are crazy any way , Premix is a PITA IMHO oil injection systems are fine I am voting for keeping it simple, just one brain fart and KABLAAAAMMMOOOOOOOOOOOO ( David Hobs reference)

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #25
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
I do indeed understand and respect your advice, and am not questioning the reliability of the system. I more just want to do away with the "side cover" sized oil reservoir.

As far as lubricating engine parts, the intake injection point is only into the air/fuel intake stream. I checked the ports and diagrams in the manual (Kawasaki shop version) and there's no direct oil port(s) going into main bearings, etc., so I feel safe from that respect. I haven't completely decided to do away with the pump, tank and lines, but if I leave it I may come up with some smaller reservoir, just for appearance reasons (ie: give it a more stark, race-bike look).
Other than ratio suggestions, what's a good quality, low-smoke, 2-stroke oil (Oh NO...another oil thread?)?

Lynn
A more stark race bike look............and also be sitting at a gas station every time you put gas in figuring out how much oil to mix with the gas. Or have an automatic pump do it?
Looks are only looks. Put a number plate over the oil reservoir and forget it.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #26
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
Quote:
Spoken by yet another know-nothing ADV'er. Ive had oil injection pumps go 40,000 miles with no problems,theres a cable,it moves when you turn the throttle,the pump squirts oil,very simple. They had it figured out a long time ago.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #27
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
This post is just wrong on every level. Tell us Peter.650, would you be willing to list the year, make and model of the many oil injected 2t's you've owned, and on which you base your vast experience?
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #28
biggurn
Yes, it is BIG.

Oddometer: 97
As certified Polaris Techs, between myself and my father, we have worked on and sold hundreds probably thousands of oil injected 2-strokes over the last 20 years, and have seen only a hand full of engine failure where the pump was blamed, one was on a brand new unit where metal shavings where found to be of fault, the others where all the owners fault (i.e. not changing the inline oil filter or using the wrong oil type, i.e. Spectra (a PRE MIX ONLY OIL) in an injector or amsoil, doesn't work well, especially in injectors- Polaris would not honor warranty on any unit with a burn down while running it, regardless of what amsoil says). So, once you chose an oil, make sure it is compatible with use in an OIL injector! If not find one, everyone will tell you what they think is best, in my KTM 300 MXC i run Motul oils, low to no smoke and a pleasant smell. Most pre-mix type oils are not intended for use as injector oil (it’s a viscosity issue). While Motul makes an injector oil, In my old Polaris ATVs I run Pennzoil injector oil, it is cheap and readily available, if i still road them Iike I did before kids, then I'd run Motul in them. While Pennzoil is Not my preference, for bikes that are almost 30 years old and rarely get ridden anymore, it works well. While on some sleds and bikes over the years I have removed the oil pump, it has always been because of extensive engine modifications where it was determined that the stock pump would not meet the needs of the modified engine. In the end, no matter what route you go (keep injector or toss it) chose a HIGH QUALITY oil and STICK with it as this has been proven the best thing for a 2 stroke engine. But just my $0.02 and like the rest of the inamtes here, what do I really know???

biggurn screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 07:37 AM
biggurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #29
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
My (former) landspeed record holding RZ 350 has 40K+ on the original oil pump. And I set the record without worrying if the oil ratio was enough at the top end. Just pour some VP MR2 (R.I.P.) in the tank and kick. I do set it up a tad rich on oil delivery. More oil+race fuel=more power
Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I have had 2 strokes for the last 35 years. I rebuild all my own motors. What i am trying to tell you , there is a reason why people by pass the Oil-injection {and it's not for the fun of it}. Pre mix at a pump how hard is that????? Baby bottle of oil put your fuel in tip in the oil, and give it a shake. What is the drama with that? If you can't do that should you own a 2 stroke? Which is what this thread gets down to. Some people should just never own 2 strokes. You have to check your ring gap, you have to decarbon your motor, clean out your pipes/mufflers, if you have a bridge in your exhaust port drill holes in your new piston,heat up your head gasket till it's cherry red then put it in water so you can reuse it,{Good thing about Bultacos}, jetting from summer to winter. Doing all this is 100% fine, but tipping some oil in your petrol tank is just way to hard. Pre mix is easy i was doing it when i was 10 years old, it works 100% of the time.
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote