79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #32
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
Pre mix is easy.... it works 100% of the time.
well.....until you stick a crank and later realize that the bike you decided to premix has an oil injection system designed to directly feed oil to the main bearings by means of slingers/diverters.
And running premix (especially on non-slotted-rod cranks) without removing the slingers may actually BLOCK oil from reaching the big end and main crank bearings.

One of the most reliable things about the majority of 2 strokes is the freaking oil injection system. I know Kawasaki and Yamaha to have ridiculously reliable O.I. systems.

For race purposes...sure, then Premix.. but for street use. Run the pump.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #33
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
Hey who am I to stop anyone from doing what they want? Just a suggestion.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler73 View Post
well.....until you stick a crank and later realize that the bike you decided to premix has an oil injection system designed to directly feed oil to the main bearings by means of slingers/diverters.
And running premix (especially on non-slotted-rod cranks) without removing the slingers may actually BLOCK oil from reaching the big end and main crank bearings.

One of the most reliable things about the majority of 2 strokes is the freaking oil injection system. I know Kawasaki and Yamaha to have ridiculously reliable O.I. systems.

For race purposes...sure, then Premix.. but for street use. Run the pump.
You are taking what i am saying out of context and you know it. But i have modified Suzuki GT750 crankcases to run premix, got 95hp @ sea level.
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #35
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Well then you know how it is around here. Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #36
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You are taking what i am saying out of context and you know it. But i have modified Suzuki GT750 crankcases to run premix, got 95hp @ sea level.

nah.. Im not taking anything out of context. You are saying that oil injection systems are crap, and I, along with the majority on here are saying that there is nothing "unreliable" about oil injection systems on 2 stroke motorcycles.

The way your sentence above is written ("I have modified GT750 crankcases to run premix and got 95hp"), makes it sound like by solely switching to premix, the HP of the engine doubled.....

a Polaris 800 twin puts out 150 hp and has one of those "unreliable" oil injection units. So if a guy pulls the oil injection, and starts mixing gas and oil, will the engine then be in the 270-300 HP range?

For the last 10 years, my main "riders" have been OLD two stroke street bikes. You name it, RD's, RZ's, Suzuki GT's, Kaw Triples, Honda NSR250's, NS400R, etc.....
ALL are using the injection system (some 40+ years old), and I wouldn't hesitate to jump on any one of them and ride across country. The last mechanical thing I would worry about is the injector pump....
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #37
gplracing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Pumps work great, I've only ever had one fail and that was on a RZ350 where the plastic drive gear bust. If it's a road bike I'd say stick with the pump, if your going off racing bit of a different story.

The only thing to watch out for with some of the twins is the oil delivery can differ between cylinders at times.

Glyn
gplracing@hotmail.com
http://goo.gl/AazM9
gplracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #38
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Why? Those bikes are known for going tens of thousands of miles without drama.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #39
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Why do you guys think it's better, to run premix for racing???
For the life of me, i can't understand what you guys find so hard about pre- mixing.
Anyway you want to trust your motor to a 40year old pump, because you are to lazy to tip abit of oil in your tank, when you fill up. That's up to you.
Ask yourself this, if oil-injection is so great why didn't yz,cr,kx,rm,it,pe, i could keep going but you get the idea come with it.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #40
gplracing
Adventurer

Quote:
Why do you guys think it's better, to run premix for racing???.
Because it's a known quantity, if your setting the engine up with EGT, det counter and or CHT you don't want anything else that could influence what your looking for. Plus it's a constant oil ratio what ever jet size you use, you'd have to change a jet and the oil ratio to give you the same ratio you had before. Which seems hard work in my eyes lol.

I have nothing against pre-mix thats all I use to be honest, but IMO for a stock to slightly modified keep it simple.
gplracing@hotmail.com
Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #41
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ask yourself this, if oil-injection is so great why didn't yz,cr,kx,rm,it,pe, i could keep going but you get the idea come with it.

WEIGHT... and the fact that MX bikes have their necks wrung most of the time= RACEBIKE

A racebikes engine lives in a much narrower RPM range than a streetbike, so jetting for premix with a engine that mostly lives between 10 and 14k is optimum.

On a streetbike who's engine live's between 2k and 12K depending.. With Premix, you will either be over-oiling when ridden mellow, or potentically even under-oiling if you are not running a rich enough oil mix (say 80 or 100 to 1).

Most oil injection systems are "Variable Rate", delivering more oil as your throttle is opened and RPM's increase.

And a 2 stroke street bike is ANYTHING BUT a lazy man's bike. You are always putzing with something....
And funny, of the 50 or so 2 stroke street bikes Ive owned, I cant remember putzing with oil injection pumps other than initial set-up after building an engine? Maybe I (and millions of others) have just been lucky.

scrambler73 screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 02:06 PM
scrambler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #42
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

I give up. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on Pre-mix vs Oil-injection

but pre-mix is better
Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #43
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

I knew he didn't have any pics.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #44
gplracing
Adventurer

Quote:
you have to decarbon your motor, clean out your pipes/mufflers, if you have a bridge in your exhaust port drill holes in your new piston,heat up your head gasket till it's cherry red then put it in water so you can reuse it,.
Carbon build up in an engine will be a result of two things, 1, using mineral oils (like in the good old days lol) 2, to much oil at part throttle (pre-mix) and or incorrectly jetted.

If your heating your head gasket to a cherry red then quenching in water you are hardening it again, your looking to "anneal" it to take the work hardening out that is coursed by the many heat cycles it has been put through.

I would recommend you relieve the bridge at the boring stage.

On a side note if your are looking to quench a none ferious material then water is a bit harsh, oil would be a much better medium.

Glyn
gplracing@hotmail.com
Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #45
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,387
Quote:
I give up. We are just going to have to agree to disagree on Pre-mix vs Oil-injection

but pre-mix is better

But but, if it is not broken why try to fixt it

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote