Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #76
Visigothic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I need some "on road" reports of this bike before I write the check. The 690 is an option but with more after market support rapidly appearing along with the weight savings this bike has really caught my eye. Light seems right for a 50/50 type bike.

Here is my wish list

5 gal Acerbis tank,Fastway 5 stabilzer, Al bash plate, radiator catch bottle, Ackra pipe, Promoto/Cyrcra/or Acerbis hand guards, Kush sprocket 42T (road speeds), better seat, X2 headlight, grip warmers, folding mirror, radiator guards if needed,rear brake protection fin, chain guide, bar risers,Acerbis LED rear subfinder,GL Coyote saddle bag Coyote dry bag along with a Fandaango tank bag. An oil cooler when available along with a Rekluse clutch should finish it.

Anything I forget?

Any opinions?

Now if someone could please give me Power Ball numbers I'm set ......................... ain't gonna happen is it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #77
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post
I need some "on road" reports of this bike before I write the check. The 690 is an option but with more after market support rapidly appearing along with the weight savings this bike has really caught my eye. Light seems right for a 50/50 type bike.

Here is my wish list

5 gal Acerbis tank,Fastway 5 stabilzer, Al bash plate, radiator catch bottle, Ackra pipe, Promoto/Cyrcra/or Acerbis hand guards, Kush sprocket 42T (road speeds), better seat, X2 headlight, grip warmers, folding mirror, radiator guards if needed,rear brake protection fin, chain guide, bar risers,Acerbis LED rear subfinder,GL Coyote saddle bag Coyote dry bag along with a Fandaango tank bag. An oil cooler when available along with a Rekluse clutch should finish it.

Anything I forget?

Any opinions?

Now if someone could please give me Power Ball numbers I'm set ......................... ain't gonna happen is it.
1. do the AKRA titanium set front to back.

2. Highway dirtbikes top clamp, handguards, Turn signals, fold away mirrors and switch setup's. You wont be happier.

3. I would rethink the 42 Tooth rear that is mighty low. and for me the cush rear end too . Depending on your riding terrain I guess. You will loose a lot of low end going that low in the back. I did a 14-48 and it was ok but I am going back to stock on the back.

4. I like the KTM rear disk fin better than the Scotts it is much more beefy. FYI there are two KTM hard parst models the more expensive oen is the one I am talking about.

5. Baja Designs Squadron head light once they get the Dimmer switch in production. ( Yes Paul if you are reading this you are right)!!!

6. the bar risers wont be needed with the fastway underbar as they rise to install the steeering stab.

7. the KTM rear tail light on mine I beleive is already LED not sure if that is what you mean by the Acerbis rear above.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #78
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Abyss - I second LukasM request as to why you prefer the Fastway steering dampener to the Scotts from a mechanical perspective? I'm In the market for another dampener and I've always used Scotts but open to others if there is indeed a better product out there that outperforms the Scotts.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #79
hammerinn101
hammerinn101

Oddometer: 11
oil changes

Every 15 hours is that true? Sat on one yesterday, needs seat, needs lighting, seems like a lot of money and maintenance. Nobody makes a bike that fits my needs or I have to put another $5000.00 into it to make close. what I want.

1. Big gas tank 6 gal
2. 3500 miles between oil changes
4. valve adjustment if any 10,000 or better
5. run on third world gas
6. electric start and kicker
7. seat for all day riding
8. points to put on racks
9. plug in for extras ,Hate the word farckle
10. color options
11. can do 100mph
12 can go off road

any suggestions ?
hammerinn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #80
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerinn101 View Post
Every 15 hours is that true? Sat on one yesterday, needs seat, needs lighting, seems like a lot of money and maintenance. Nobody makes a bike that fits my needs or I have to put another $5000.00 into it to make close. what I want.

1. Big gas tank 6 gal
10. color options
11. can do 100mph
12 can go off road

any suggestions ?
Sounds like you don't want a dirt bike... 640 adventure hits all those points. Its a little heavy for pure off road duty, but mine has taken me up every trail I've since done on my 500 out at our local riding area and all over colorado, including single track. Its a preeetty capable bike, just a little extra weight.
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #81
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by child View Post
Sounds like you don't want a dirt bike. snip....

ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #82
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Thats what I posted first, then I saw it was his first post and thought I should be a little more constructive

But seriously, the fact that you put "can go off road" 12th on your list... I think something more in the dual sport category would suit your needs better.

...and speaking of constructive, I'll take this opportunity to say awesome work harcus. How would a giant loop (the big one) look on that rack you think?
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #83
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerinn101 View Post

1. Big gas tank 6 gal
10. color options
11. can do 100mph
12 can go off road

any suggestions ?
In my best obi-wan voice "This is not the bike you are looking for, you can go about your business, move along"
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #84
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 464
Ladb

Harcus, nice post.

As much as I like my bigass dirtbike, it seems a bit heavy and long compared to your light-ass dirtbike. And the 3 hunny squeals at 65 mph. Maybe I need a 'tweener, the right iron for each stroke.

One criticism though -- Too shiny and clean! I'm sceptical of the extent of validation testing. Maybe I can help you with that.

Trailtwister screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 09:05 PM
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #85
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,176
This coming President's day weekend I'll be heading down to Yuma, Az to do some camping off my bike. I'll get some pics and let you all know how it works out..... Dual-Sporting the 500 should be interesting......

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #86
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Reliability

Your fabrication skills are excellent and are matched with fabulously well thought out designs.

I have thought about trading my '07 525 EXC for the new 500 EXC but I cannot see a clear advantage to my well set up 525 (now a 565) so I am watching this thread to see how the new FI works and how you think the handling compares to the older 525 design. My dealer said of the FI to just forget about it failing since it is well proven now. "If you are going to stress about this just get a spare injector and carry it in case the stock one plugs up from crappy gas."

For those who worry about engine reliability I would note that I ride with a guy that has an '07 525 EXC with 16,000 hard DS and racing miles on it. He just changes oil once in a while. Since he is finally running to the end of his adjustment on his intakes he is going to go with K-W stainless valves. (The valves in the new 500 should last as long as the K-W valves.) One engine builder I talked to said that most of his 525 engines go at east 30,000 to 35,000 miles without ever needing any work except checking the SS valves once in a while. When I asked him about oil changes for DS riding he said, confirming what FTB said, "Oh, just change it when you can. 1,000 to 1,500 miles. And run good oil. Motul or Rotella T. The HT oil cooler is nice but probably not needed for DS riding. You probably won't be hammering up long, steep sand washes."

For those that worry about sub-frame damage I can only say that I have tested my stock one in every possible way without damage. I watched one guy flip his 525 MXC on a double jump with it landing on the rear end of the sub-frame. He broke his rear plastic fender. The 500 should be just as reliable.

Great thread!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #87
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Any update on the camping trip? How is it for a bit of a slab day getting to the good riding?

Thanks
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #88
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,176
Camping trip

Sorry, should have been more diligent to check this thread.

Here is a thread I started about the trip:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767594

And here is a post concerning the mods that have gone into this Adventure bike:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=553

The second one is a long one, but full of info.....

SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #89
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Sub Frame Correction

My neighbor purchased my '05 250 EXC 2T and flipped it over again. This time he broke the rearmost extension off the right side of the sub frame, the piece that supports the rear of the plastic fender. He bought the new fender pieces, took the sub frame off and had the broken piece welded back on for $45.

So I have seen one break. You have to work at it, though.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #90
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Just wondering if you have any worries about the LEDs mounted like this overheating when the weather gets warmer? I don't know about the Advmonster product but these small & powerful LEDs tend to need some air flow to keep their cool.
That's a great question. I've been testing the lights in the fairing. No problems with overheating (it was 86 here in Ft. Lauderdale last week). The low beam output is adjustable so it reduces the heat generated in normal riding conditions like during the day, it's also only using a couple watts of power. Hit the high beam and both lights go to full power.

I've never intentionally ridden this bike at night due to the crappy stock lighting, problem solved with the LEDs. The faring is a great compromise, would I use in a hare scramble or enduro, no, but "normal" riding it will give some great protection and lighting.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote