Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
simandlee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi, first adv from Adelaide to Flinderrs Ranges in Australia on 2 x klr650

Hi All,
We are new to this forum. This is our first adventure on our KLR650ís. We rode from Adelaide to Hawker via Clare, Jamestown and Orroroo.
We made a couple of mods to our bikes; taller windscreen (but mine hadnít arrived for this trip), removed stock tyre and exhaust.
Day 1 Ė Packed and ready to go

Finally out of the city

We must be getting close I see the hills.

We leave the black roads for awhile and detour onto some dirt.

We detour a little to look at the Big Gum tree but this is not what it looks like..

We arrive in Hawker a little earlier than expected so we head north toward Wilpena Pound but find Morlana Scenic Drive. We take this road and the scenery is awesome and there is a lot of kangaroos and emus.

We decided to leave Flinders Ranges for tomorrow as we want to get back before dark but stop off at Bird of Prey Lookout.

End of Day and we decided to stay the Flinders Ranges Caravan Park (my pick) and the only good thing about this place was the campfire. Leigh enjoys a coldie after a long ride.

Day 2
We head north from Hawker to Parachilna. There are no cattle fences along the Bamdioota Road and we encounter a few bulls on the road along the way. Parachilna Hotel

Everyone was still sleeping so without my morning coffee we head east towards Blinman and I was excited when I saw this sign.

Glasshouse Gorge

Around the bend from where this photo was taken we see a 4x4 on the other side of the gorge. We find the road which goes through a creek.

To see the video of my creek crossing please click the following link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinbuPGa2uw
We head into Blinman and straight for the cafe. Bliman cafe has the best coffee we had all trip and they make a great chocolate and apricot slice, great riding energy. We look at the old quarry and then head south into the Flinders Ranges National Park. We take the geological drive.

Brachina Gorge.

We stop at every rock formation that formed over millions of year and now the rain has gone from misting to a little heavier but riding is still good.

The getting a little heavier as you can see by this picture.

We head to the end of the geological drive which is the end of the national park so we turn around.
To see video of different scenes throughout the geological tour see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhbZeOWefs

We head towards Bunyeroo Gorge.

We stop at the top of the lookout and take some video which is uploading to youtube now. The roads are a combination of slippery clay and mushy mud. I lay my bike down in mud for a rest. Leigh trudges back and helped me up.

There is a video of me getting out of the mud. Well at least I didnít drop it a second time. Bike was a little hard to start but no damage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFREuPIB0xE
So we take it slow until Sacred Canyon

There is a lot of Aboriginal Rock cravings but we donít stay too long as we want to get back before dark.

We decided to stay at the Outback Motel which was much nicer than the caravan park and about the same price.
Day 3
Woke up nice and warm but when I walked outside the bikes were covered in ice.

We head north and then west towards Warren Gorge but Leigh see a detour road he thought might be a short cut.

It ends at a dam but we continue riding on cow tracks and end up going in a large loop.

We found some water on the way and Leigh had a few rides through it. Check out the video it is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PxnR3nA3PM
We detour again and take Buckaringa Scenic Road which is a beautiful ride as well. We head up to the lookout.

After this we go onto Warren Gorge. Leigh wasnít happy he laid his bike down for a rest and so did I.

We head into Quorn and stop for food and a look at the old railways.

We planned on going to Alligator Gorge but decided on trying the bridle track but a little out of Melrose and we thought it might be a little late. We turn around and stay at Mount Remarkable Hotel which was pretty good and a great price. I discovered what jelly shots are at this place (jelly with alcohol).

Day 4
Melrose lookout

Bridle track here we come.

There are a lot of gates. Here is me doing my one gate for the whole track!!

I was thinking how is this a 4x4 track until I realised how high up we were. It was a steep and rocky decent down but in 1st gear it was pretty easy but got the heart racing.

We headed toward Telowie Gorge and I got some video of Leigh going around the bends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uVhpCBGBno

We travelled through another section with forest on one side and stopped for this pic.

Then back onto the highway after a while we detoured off to find another pub but no drinks for us as we wanted to get back to the city before dark.

We made it back to the city in time for peak hour traffic and then home.
It was a great trip and the scenery was amazing. We hope they preserve this land forever. Our next trip will be to the Gammon Ranges and if anyone has any tips or suggestions for this trip please let us know.
As you can see by the photo we took fuel with us but if you go you will not need it there are plenty of petrol stops on the way.
Thanks
Simone.
simandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 427
Geez, you might be new to the forum, but you're an old hand at tell'n stories!!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for a great read .... waiting for the next one.
By the way ...... you did better than me ..... didn't finish my report ..
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Reester
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 24
Thumb

Beautiful images. Excellent post. I also bought 2 identical new klrs a year or so ago....its a great bike and a lovely way to get the missus into riding.....
Old 01-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Thanks for posting your pics. I sure enjoy a glimpse of other parts of the world through our stories.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote