Myway screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 04:30 AM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #137
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
I reckon it could be delrin plastic. Tileman has been toying with this stuff lately, Im sure he will chime in soon.
Don't think so unfortunately for me as I have a supplier of it for free . More like Telfon from the translation. But I am going to do some searching.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #138
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
This bracket is made of high density polyethylene. Thats what the guy says. His name is Paco Martinez. He built all the rally kit himself (only the rear tank was bought to JVO) and finished Real Dakar hero with the old Dakar spirit of "do it yourself". The bike wasn't even an enduro but a MX bike.

He says that the KTM guys had been lurking his bracket. He was resigned that they were going to copy and patent it, and he would not see a single rupee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
I believe this belongs here in this thread as I think it is quite ingenious. I cannot understand a word but what I do see is a flexible navigation bracket. It seems it would be quite stable and yet absorb crashes to some extent. @0:30
Any one have any further intel on this?
[IMG][/IMG]
Cheers
Pilbara

vander screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 02:05 PM
vander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #139
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Thumb Hdpe

A good source for all you budding HDPE (HIgh Density PolyEthylene) nav tower constructors is Bread Cutting Boards, yep thats right the ones you can buy in the supermarket for chopping meat and veges or cutting bread on. Come in a range of colours and thickness and easy to work with. They will usually have a 'HDPE' symbol somewhere on them. It is a lot easier than trying to find and source through an industrial plastics supplier if you are not that way inclined.

If using drills make sure they are sharp but also just grind or stone a small flat on the cutting edge axially not on the end. This takes away the 'rake' of the cutting edge and stops it dragging the drill through and into your hand or straight through the seat of your bike that you should not have been drilling over anyway. Trust me it is a good mod to make as it eliminates some nasty drill grabs.

Polyethylene is inherently difficult to glue. Some success can be had with standard araldite but it is not Rally safe. Bolting and mechanical fixing is preffered even if you do glue.

Lets go, here's to the next generation of nav towers

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #140
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
I've had my roadbook on a stiff rubber mount. Even though it was pretty stiff, it still vibrated so much I could hardly read it when the engine revs were in the wrong place or the terrain was too rough. The flexible mount sounds real good, but I'm not convinced it would stay still enough for reading the roadbook and instruments.

I've got a lot of HDPE on my sidecar. In the States there's nothing that beats McMaster-Carr for easy selection. The stuff is almost indestructable!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #141
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
A good source for all you budding HDPE (HIgh Density PolyEthylene) nav tower constructors is Bread Cutting Boards, yep thats right the ones you can buy in the supermarket for chopping meat and veges or cutting bread on. Come in a range of colours and thickness and easy to work with. They will usually have a 'HDPE' symbol somewhere on them. It is a lot easier than trying to find and source through an industrial plastics supplier if you are not that way inclined.

Cheers
Pilbara
Off to Aldi to get some boards!!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #142
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I've had my roadbook on a stiff rubber mount. Even though it was pretty stiff, it still vibrated so much I could hardly read it when the engine revs were in the wrong place or the terrain was too rough. The flexible mount sounds real good, but I'm not convinced it would stay still enough for reading the roadbook and instruments.

I've got a lot of HDPE on my sidecar. In the States there's nothing that beats McMaster-Carr for easy selection. The stuff is almost indestructable!
I've been trying to think of away to incoperate some flex in to the tower but without it getting bouncy, I don't know why I didn't think of using plastic. It's the obvious choice now Ive seen it used.

I have my road book on rubber mounts as well. When new it was ok but now on rough tracks it moves so much i cant read it.

I don't think you would get that problem with plastic.

I think I'll try replacing the two side plates on my tower with plastic and leave the rubber mounts out.

Thanks for the inspiration guys.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #143
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,971
Watching the video it looks like his nav tower is quite wobbly. Not sure how legible the road-book would be while moving.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 01:08 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #144
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Off to Aldi to get some boards!!!!!

That's the spirit
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #145
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Legible enough for him to finish Dakar!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #146
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Legible enough for him to finish Dakar!
Got the alloy plates to make the blanks. Then off to a mates to use his router hopefully this arvo. Maybe by monday I'll have a proto . . . .
Old 01-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #147
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Got the alloy plates to make the blanks. Then off to a mates to use his router hopefully this arvo. Maybe by monday I'll have a proto . . . .
Wellno luck with the cutting boards. the ones I found were either PP or PE LD I think.

I will say though that the boards I found were quite hard to bend. even in 8mm thick. When looking at the video about the before mentioned nab tower he can flex it with relative ease compared to the material I got. Hence I still don't know if there is something different with the material that I can't figure out. HDPE is pretty tough. The material that is in his tower looks quite thick and I can't see that it would flex that much. Any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #148
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
I belive he has a spring for return to center loaded inside
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #149
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,876
Yea the way it reacts makes it look like its mounted on a spring
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #150
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
I belive he has a spring for return to center loaded inside
Had another watch. Looks like it. about 28sec in the bending motion from the front doesn't seem to flex any of the green parts or even the mount to the frame.

So.........(said with a ) what do we think the spring is that reacts like this. If the idea is that plastic has a higher elasticity and enough strength to do the job then Delrin/LD PE/HD PE would be up to the job and easy to make in a backyard. Hence I'll use the alloy plates until I get the design sorted and then make for out of plastic and see what results.

Some of these projects just evolve to much while they are in the process