Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #301
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldricks-socks View Post
Hi i've just entered the tuareg rally on my 570 and was just wondering what gearing you are using ?
As i'm sure i read a 15 on the front but cant find where i read it !!
Cheers
For the Safari 570's we run 15:50 or 15:51 depending on rider preference and speed.

For Dakar the 450's ran 14:50

For Tuareg I'd run 15:51
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #302
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
For the Safari 570's we run 15:50 or 15:51 depending on rider preference and speed.

For Dakar the 450's ran 14:50

For Tuareg I'd run 15:51
you think 14/52 will be a little low for a deep sand speed event?

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #303
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
you think 14/52 will be a little low for a deep sand speed event?
Depends on how fast or how tight you think it will be, 14:50 is good for about 150-155kph with the stock exhaust, 14:52 will certainly help it pull and accelerate better
Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #304
micksouthere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
no, all the full GPS/Iritrack/Sentinial style rallyes need a nav tower with a lot more real estate to hang things off, and there are lots of Dakar style rallye kit solutions around or in the wings...........this was to fill a gap for rallye Lite set ups

sorry buddy been a busy month with 2 rallies on opposites of the continent , plus trying to get organised for Sardinia/Albania etc.

Will send you a PM later today.
As above, this set up looks bloody brilliant, how would it compare to the ktm 450rr price wise if a mate and I were to buy 2 bergs fully kitted?
micksouthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #305
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Depends on how fast or how tight you think it will be, 14:50 is good for about 150-155kph with the stock exhaust, 14:52 will certainly help it pull and accelerate better
it will be fast and open. i will pickup a 50 on the way.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #306
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
it will be fast and open. i will pickup a 50 on the way.
I dont know if that gearing is for the Tuareg, but if so, please mind yourself the first 2 days.. The 5minutes you might loose by going 140kph were 100 would suffice can be gained back by navigating properly...

Heard of 2 many crashes in day 1 and 2...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #307
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksouthere View Post
As above, this set up looks bloody brilliant, how would it compare to the ktm 450rr price wise if a mate and I were to buy 2 bergs fully kitted?
To build a Husaberg to similar spec as we used in Dakar this year would be between $25k-$30k AUD depending on how much discounting off retail you can get stuff for and how much of the build work you did yourself vs getting someone else to do it for you..............full retail would not see much if any change from $30k AUD

Likewise to build a Safari style rally bike it's about $20k-$22k AUD full retail again.

What do you want to use the bikes for ??

As an Adv bike they are as good as any you will find, extra super if you want a light weight more agile Adv mount

for the Safari they are much better than the majority and if you have the talent they could put you on the podium with little fuss

for Dakar further development is required with a different front fuel tank cell, oil cooler, twin rad fans.........they need further work to deal with heat managment. That aside the rest of the bike is fine and will do Dakar no problems.

SafariBerg screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 05:20 PM
SafariBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #308
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
for Dakar further development is required with a different front fuel tank cell, oil cooler, twin rad fans.........they need further work to deal with heat managment. That aside the rest of the bike is fine and will do Dakar no problems.
Garry, How did Thomas Berglund's bike fare at Dakar with the different fuel tank and rally configuration he was using? What were the issues with the Safari front fuel tank? Seems removal time of the multiple front fuel tanks to gain access to the motor would be an issue. Would like to hear more on this subject.

Thanks and again great job!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #309
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Garry, How did Thomas Berglund's bike fare at Dakar with the different fuel tank and rally configuration he was using? Thomas's tank system worked well I believe, it had a few minor bugs which he is sorting out for the next batch, the main limitation is you have to go the whole hog and use both front & rear tanks and his fairing, as it is all integrated, it's not possible to just use the front tanks by it self etc.........none of thats a problem if you want it for rally, my only concern is the 27L capacity, we would want 30L. For us though it's 3 years too late for the bike development life cycle.

What were the issues with the Safari front fuel tank? see the photo below, the air vent hole is WAY too small, the airflow over the radiators is very limited and the heat is not getting out of the bike quick enough. For Dakar also a plus would be to have the fuel lower of course, al la KTM and the other dedicated Dakar rally kits, though a Speedbraiin style rear fuel cell is the best solution and could easily be done for the Husaberg, but again now it wont happen given the bike development life cycle. For Aust Safari and pretty much all other uses, the safari tank works fine and are a great and easy solution, heat is not an issue ever, but for Dakar we would not use them again.

Seems removal time of the multiple front fuel tanks to gain access to the motor would be an issue. no this is not really a problem, in fact the KTM style ones are even easier access to the engine.

!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #310
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
That is one serious anchor on the front there, Garry.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #311
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
That is one serious anchor on the front there, Garry.
320mm rotor & caliper off a motard bike, we usually run the 310mm rotor off a KTM690R with the stock caliper, this gives great performance at pulling up from speed and those "oh shiiiiit times"
Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #312
micksouthere
Adventurer

Quote:
To build a Husaberg to similar spec as we used in Dakar this year would be between $25k-$30k AUD depending on how much discounting off retail you can get stuff for and how much of the build work you did yourself vs getting someone else to do it for you..............full retail would not see much if any change from $30k AUD

Likewise to build a Safari style rally bike it's about $20k-$22k AUD full retail again.

What do you want to use the bikes for ??

As an Adv bike they are as good as any you will find, extra super if you want a light weight more agile Adv mount

for the Safari they are much better than the majority and if you have the talent they could put you on the podium with little fuss

Thanks Gary, that gives us a whole heap of stuff to ponder over...at 30k that's 'nearly' 10k better than the KTM (retail)
Which is close to 20k saving on two bikes...which gives us the dollars for the spares!!!
Too good will PM you.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #313
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksouthere View Post
Thanks Gary, that gives us a whole heap of stuff to ponder over...at 30k that's 'nearly' 10k better than the KTM (retail)
Which is close to 20k saving on two bikes...which gives us the dollars for the spares!!!
Too good will PM you.

Here in OZ the KTM450RR wil cost you close to $50kAUD landed, based on the 4 that were sold to Aussies last year.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #314
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Here in OZ the KTM450RR wil cost you close to $50kAUD landed, based on the 4 that were sold to Aussies last year.

My recollection is that the 450RR is priced around 35,000 Euro's....does that sound correct. If its still at the same price in Euro's then it might be a bit less because the Euro has lost a good chunk of value in the last few months.

And the Australian dollar is quite strong right now.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #315
micksouthere
Adventurer

Quote:
My recollection is that the 450RR is priced around 35,000 Euro's....does that sound correct. If its still at the same price in Euro's then it might be a bit less because the Euro has lost a good chunk of value in the last few months.

And the Australian dollar is quite strong right now.
Yeah I'm with you on this one, exchange rate on base price plus friendly KTM dealer...just a smidge over 40k landed...however nowhere as competitively priced as the "Berg and 30k is a worst case scenario.
Would love to know if the cooling/getting more air through the radiator situation has been sorted.
Does a bigger opening through the tank to allow the airflow mean a smaller sized tank ...so its back to square one to redesign a tank with enough capacity and enough venting?