User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Wicked The Tax Write-off!

There has to be some benefit to owning your own business, right? My bike is a business vehicle, so on the weekend I had a couple of points needing some coordinates, so it was time to get to it...

Strapped on the OHS gear (ATGATT folks!) and headed off...

The marks I needed coordinates on were located at Maryvale, just up the road. Sure, I could have headed straight up the highway then in to the marks, but I had to check out some other potential jobs on the way, and there were a few others in the region that I took the opportunity to check out... as you do! I knew which tracks I wanted to go on, but I was surprised at how the tracks had become, shall we say "less trafficked"? It was nice to run the bike down little two-wheel tracks in between paddocks, it made the bike feel more like a dirt bike than a road bike! Anyway, I got myself to the marks in question and set the bike on top in order to let the GPS read in some coordinates and took the opportunity to snap a couple of piccies!

The marks are NSW Permanent Marks, which consist of a 900mm star picket driven in to the ground beneath a cast iron lid. I paint mine yellow, so that they can be found easily - provided they are not destroyed by a grader, tractor, or similar ($10,000 fine if you do though, so FFS DON'T!!! )

When we place these marks we also have to provide rough GPS coordinates of the point to assist in relocating it. The hand-held GPs will get coords accurate to about 5-10 metres.

So I figured I'd better go out to Terrabella and do the same for some other marks I've placed out that way. This meant a quick trip through Geurie and out to the Scabbin Flat Bridge. It is heritage listed... which apparently keeps out termites, flosses your teeth and maintains itself! This goes over the Macquarie River.

Anyway, the job I have near the Scabbin Flat Bridge seems OK, so I headed to Terrabella. Terrabella Road is OK, but it was better before they sealed most of it. Oh well, I made it safely to the Terrabella Bridge, which is over the Little River. This bridge is, well, embarrassing! I was working at Council in the 90's when they came up with this design for the deck. I did the survey work, and take no part in the design, which in my opinion, is horrible! At least the timber underneath the deck is the good old 80-year old stuff!

The Little River is quite pretty too!

I won't claim that my bike is pretty though!

So I headed up Benelong Road, which is not THAT interesting on a bike, and spits you out on Obley Road.

Then turned south to check out some jobs near Wambangalang...

Before heading back over the Little River again...

And then ...

And home through Arthurville.

Next time I think I'll check out some more jobs on dirt roads! There's no shortage of them!

Oh no! Went to download my GPS and it has died!! All this was for nothing.... AND I HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!!!

Tough day at work for me...
Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,128
Thumb

Nice one! I remember the days of working for myself and being able to go for a midweek ride... Happy memories!
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343 View Post
Nice one! I remember the days of working for myself and being able to go for a midweek ride... Happy memories!
Cheers mate! I'm working on a midweek ride, but hey, a Sunday ride at work's expense will do!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,746
good stuff!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,695
Love ya work!

Just make sure your activities can pass the ATO's primary purpose test. Just saying.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Sleepy John screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 11:52 AM
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
RideLight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Nice report, beautiful area. I do high accuracy mapping for a water utility in middle Tennessee. I have often wished they would let me take my bike. At least they give me a 4x4 truck.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
Love ya work!

Just make sure your activities can pass the ATO's primary purpose test. Just saying.
The ride report above is a work of fiction, any resemblence between any characters, bikes, bridges and locations and the real world is entirely coincidental!

And I managed to get my GPS working enough to get the coordinates out and complete my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLight View Post
Nice report, beautiful area. I do high accuracy mapping for a water utility in middle Tennessee. I have often wished they would let me take my bike. At least they give me a 4x4 truck.
Cheers mate! I cringe when I see things like "high accuracy" because, being a surveyor, I have an idea of what high accuracy is. Most asset management works are nothing like "high" accuracy! I aim for 1 in 200,000 with my work, and generally achieve something between 1 in 100,000 and 1 in 200,000, depending on the weather conditions & terrain.

Enjoy using your 4x4 at work - I enjoy mine!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
I just love those days surveying where it is like being paid to go hiking. "Gotta go find that property corner that farmer Jones has been asking about" Never mind that it probably was a wood fence post that was burnt up in that wildfire 30 years ago. it is a good day to be out in the field. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
RideLight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cheers mate! I cringe when I see things like "high accuracy" because, being a surveyor, I have an idea of what high accuracy is. Most asset management works are nothing like "high" accuracy! I aim for 1 in 200,000 with my work, and generally achieve something between 1 in 100,000 and 1 in 200,000, depending on the weather conditions & terrain.

Enjoy using your 4x4 at work - I enjoy mine![/QUOTE]

Yeah, we are definitely not survey grade. That cost a few more grand. We are happy with sub-foot. If all else fails we can break out the witching rods.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,684
http://youtu.be/dNDYArDUgSg

play it loud
Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
Stevie Ray! Cracker!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
what are those markers for
Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
what are those markers for
I was subdividing some farm land, and under the regulations I have to place or connect to survey control marks. The idea is that these marks will eventually get coordinated to connect the state cadastre (boundary network) to the WGS coordinate system. They are also recovery marks for when the boundary pegs are removed for fencing, or rot away in time.

With the increase in fixed GPS reference stations (called CORS =continuously operating reference stations), these marks will probably become less relevant and may not be required.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
BNS 246
n00b

Oddometer: 7
On ya Ecks
I muster sheep with my Dakar...gotta love a tax ride off
Will have to head over your way for a ride soon

Bol
BNS 246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
ECKS-Man OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNS 246 View Post
On ya Ecks
I muster sheep with my Dakar...gotta love a tax ride off
Will have to head over your way for a ride soon

Bol
Bol, ya bugger! Fast sheep around your way eh!

Might be up your way in the not-too-distant... plans afoot anyway! Will let you know (Shhhh, secret squirrel ride!)