Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
AUT-EasyRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Austria to Slovenia for the long weekend

Hello,
this is my first RR. In september 2009 a friend of mine (Bernd) on a R1200GS and myelf on my 990 ADV did a 3 day trip to Slovenia. First day we started in Austria and drove via Trieben, Hirschegger Sattel, Pack, Paulitsch Sattel, to Skofia Loka.
Hirschegger Sattel:

Paulitsch Sattel:

Border to Slovenia:

Down the Paulitsch and out of the valley:

Pension outside of Skofia Loka: http://www.tourist-farm-marko.com/
The pension is run by a very friendly farmer family, they speak slovenian, italian, english and german language. We had single bedroom plus breakfast and dinner for 40€ a night. So there was no menu to choose from, they had only one dish (changing every day) of slovenian food, it was excellent and the portion was bigger then we could eat. After we finished (soup, salad and main course) the lady asked us if we had enough or if we want more, we were stuffed. Then she came out with the desert and her husband came with some homemade slivovitz. Everything was perfect.

Day 2:
We wanted to ride to Novo Gorica, but with all the twisted roads we just enjoyed the curves and did not look to the map so we ended up lost in a dead end valley and had to go same way back, but it was a fun road. Time for some lunch:

Somehow we managed to get to Tolmin and then hit some gavel roads in the area of Tolmin, Idrija and Novo Gorica. Wondefull smal twisted roads and stunning landscape.

After a espresso in Idrija we drove back to the pension in Skofia Loka.

Day 3, back to Austria:
Skofia Loka to Zelezniki and Bohinjska on gravel.

In Bled it started to rain, so we hit the main roads to Austria and then the Autobahn to home. We did not want to got trough the Tauern Tunnel (very long one line tunnel) so we went via Obertauern (1630m pass road), and got into a snow storm.

Wet and cold we reached our home.

AUT-EasyRider screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 08:26 AM
AUT-EasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
AUT-EasyRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First weekend of June 2010

On Thursday of the first weekend in June 2010 I went to Skofia Loka again to meet 2 friends which were on their way back home from their vacation in Croatia.
Again snow and cold weather in Obertauern

After Obertauern I hit the Autobahn to Klagenfurt and drove over the Loiblpass to Slovenia. In Trzic the rain stopped and the temperture went up to 20°C, so I took the small gravel roads to Skofia Loka.

In Skofia Loka I met my friend Gerald at the pension. My other friend Floh was still riding on some gavel raods nearby. So we waited for him.

The food and Slivovtiz was excellent like last year.

Day 2:
Gerald left in the morning and drove back to Austia, so it was just Floh and myself. We drove to Vrhnika via 210 and 407, then turned direction south and hit some small gravel roads again.

Time for some lunch

After lunch we drove from whereever we were (got lost again) direction north and came out in Logatec. From there we took the small roads back to Skofia Loka.

On the gavel roads Flohs 990 had a flat tire so we pumped air in, drove for 5km and pumped again.

In Gorenja Vas we asked in a restaurant for a tire shop, the owner brought us there and helpt us explaining the problem to the owner. Both were very nice guys and helped a lot.
The tire itself was damaged, steel wires stuck out inside. The tire shop owner repaired it, the way best he could and told us that if we take it slow on the good roads we eventually will make it the 500km home. At the pension Floh was trying to get a new rear tire, but it was friday evening and on saturday all tire shops were closed. So knowing that we have to go home tomorrow we enjoyed the good food,the slovenian beer and the homemade slivovitz at the pension.

Day 3:
We drove from Skofia Loka to the Loiblpass on route 635.

Then via Turacher Höhe and Sölkpass back home
Lunch Time at the Turacher Höhe

Floh happy that he made it back home with the damaged tire

Next year we will go there again for a long weekend, there are a lot more gravel roads that want to be enjoyed.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
CaptainAttila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
With the scenery and the lunches, those look like awesome rides.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Looks like you boys had fun: beautiful scenery and nice roads, and good food. Someday, I hope to tour Austria and visit relatives I've never met.
Thanks for sharing something of Europe with us.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
AUT-EasyRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also in 2011 we took a 4 day trip to Slovenia. This time we were 5 persons at the start, Bernd (GS1200), Andi (Africa Twin), Übi and Stefan (KTM950) and myself (KTM990). The rain was very hard at the meeting point and the first 100km, but no snow this time.

At the Sommerthörl (nice gravel pass road in Austria) the rain stopped.

In the valley we stopped for lunch and to warm up in the sun

Next gravel pass road (in Austria) was the Hirschegger Sattel

After this nice pass we rode to the slovenian border and stayed in a pension on the austrian side for the night.
We found a local brewery and had some sausages with beer

The next morning I had a big head and my bike shrunk overnight due to all that rain yesterday.

After inflating my bike up we crossed the border to slovenia at the most southern point of styria.

In slovenia we rode from Ruse to the Rogla mountain resort and from there on gravel roads to Crna na Koroskem.

This way was not on the map and also the GPS only showed offroad, so it was guessing

We were happy to see some motorcycle tracks on the gravel, until we found out it were our own tracks

Down in the valley (on the #4 main road) we got our orientation back, had coffee and met some austrian GS riders on incredible clean bikes.

After the break it was back to the "normal" route , the GS riders didn't want to join us

After a very long ride on gravel roads and through the city of Kranj we reached our pension in Skofja Loka. See first post.

Andi was realy tired

We had real good food some slovenian beers and homemade slivovitz
Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
AUT-EasyRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the morning Übi and Stefan left us, they wanted to ride to Italy.
Andi, Bernd and myself wanted to explore the gravel roads in the slovenian, croatian border area.
We rode from Skofja Loka to Logatec on the back roads, most were gravel 4-5 years ago, now most of them are asphalt . We found some gravel roads, but all of them were dead end.

From Logatec we rode the curvy main road to Postojna, lot of traffic, speed limits and cops are on this road.
South of Postojna (in Pivka) we rode to Palcje and then to the Sneznik mountain area, all on gravel roads - the EU asphalt mafia is not active in this area yet.

In the village of Masun we stopped for lunch.

Mhhhh Gulasch

Under a tree, in the middle of nowhere

With a full stomach we hit the gravel roads again

The stop sign looked like swiss cheese, but its useless anyway - the last people we have seen were an hour ago at lunch time

We were lost again, so we headed direction south west, which brought us to the croation border.

After 200km of nonstop gravel roads my tank was almost empty and my rear tire had also seen better times. This sharp rocks eat the tires when you are having fun

Back to the pension we rode on the main roads, to our suprise Floh has just arrived. He also wanted to join us, but got no vaccation days - so he rode from Austia to Skofia Loka just for one night.

Next moring we rode back to Austria via the Seeberg Sattel and the Schaid Sattel.

Back home it was on the main roads via Katschberg and Obertauern.
This year we will be there again

Cheers
Harry
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
WHITEHOUSE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for updating this old post. I have just recently been made aware of the beauty of Slovenia and now it's on my list of places to visit. It's great having some gravel in the midst of beautiful small villages. Good work!
WHITEHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
That looks like a fun trip. I've been to some of the places you visited, but still have a lot of Slovenia to discover.

Here's a pic from halfway up Pohorje, just south of Maribor:

Just slightly east of Maribor there is a park with an interesting sculpture:

A few years ago I took a trip, starting in Maribor, west along the River Drava through Dravograd, crossing into Austria and through Bleiberg, then north to Kitzbuhel. I didn't take many pictures, but stopped to get this one:

and this:

In 2008 I went to the Slovenian Moto Guzzi Club annual rally in Kozina, about 10km from the coast:

The motel was full so I had to stay at a different hotel in Izola:

Last October I bought a new bike from Clocktower Harley in Graz. I've just been taking short rides, like this one to Ehrenhausen, just north of the Austrian/Slovenian border:

I'm planning a ride with a friend this summer from Slovenia through Austria to Switzerland. I'll try to remember to take some breaks from riding to take some pictures.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
AUT-EasyRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello Nadgett,
I was in your area in 2010 on my way back from Croatia, it is very nice there. We also have alot more to discover in Slovenia, therefore we will go there again this year

On the austrian side are also alot of nice roads along the slovenian, styrian - carinthian border, like Soboth, Weinebene, Hebalpe, Radlpass. I like to ride my chopper in this area.

For your trip through Austria to Switzerland I wish you alot of fun and be careful in the state of Tirol, the cops there realy enforce the speed limit and love to give foreigners a ticket. I am also a foreigner for them, because I live in an other state.

Make a lot of photos, its always nice to watch them with some friends and beer in the winter or share them on ADVrider.

Cheers
Harry