Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #16
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post

What did I think of it? I liked it. At first, i liked it a lot. Then i liked it less, and less, and less. Don't get me wrong, the weather is awesome. But, the second Christmas without snow felt rather strange, the third was annoying, and the fourth was depressing. Not so much the Christmas or the lack of snow, but the weird state of mind one enters after a while in that place.

----

I will always be a 'giri" a foreigner.

----

To live there as a young, productive person who enjoys adventures of all kinds...nah. Unless you have the money to jump on an airplane and go whenever you feel like it.

----

As I said, a part of me died there. I had not aged (on the inside) a single month in four+ years.
Thanks a lot for you reply! Very informative and I actually think I understand where you're coming from. I had an aunt that lived there a long time ago and every time she came to visit our home she always said how beautiful it was here with the seasons and how much she missed it.

And I think I can see how you could get bored with it, there are some a-m-a-z-i-n-g roads on those islands but once you've ridden each of them 10 times, and been to Teide 10 times, I can see how the novelty would wear off. At by that time you would also start to notice all the tourist coming in and out of the place and probably also get tired of them.

I'm still facinated by the islands but I'm thinking that maybe I could rent something a month or so there, get a motorbike and then tour all over the islands and see everything I want to see and be done with it. Heck - if I change my mind and want to buy something there after that it's easy, but it's harder to break up if you've actually moved some of your stuff there!

Thing is - living in Sweden half the year is pure bliss, it's one of the most beautiful countries in the world in the summer. But then comes the rainy, foggy, cold season when riding simply is no fun, you can do winter sports when/if the snow comes but then there are 4-5 other months which are mostly just cold and wet.

So some kind of "winter escape" in southern Spain or France probably would be ideal, preferable something that is enduro friendy and lots of small twisty roads. It's a shame I speak pretty much perfect english but no spanish or french at all! Guess I should have picked one of those instead of german in school, the choices we make...

I'll have to check out the two places you mentioned! Once again thanks a lot for the info!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #17
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Thanks a lot for you reply! Very informative and I actually think I understand where you're coming from. I had an aunt that lived there a long time ago and every time she came to visit our home she always said how beautiful it was here with the seasons and how much she missed it.

And I think I can see how you could get bored with it, there are some a-m-a-z-i-n-g roads on those islands but once you've ridden each of them 10 times, and been to Teide 10 times, I can see how the novelty would wear off. At by that time you would also start to notice all the tourist coming in and out of the place and probably also get tired of them.

I'm still facinated by the islands but I'm thinking that maybe I could rent something a month or so there, get a motorbike and then tour all over the islands and see everything I want to see and be done with it. Heck - if I change my mind and want to buy something there after that it's easy, but it's harder to break up if you've actually moved some of your stuff there!

Thing is - living in Sweden half the year is pure bliss, it's one of the most beautiful countries in the world in the summer. But then comes the rainy, foggy, cold season when riding simply is no fun, you can do winter sports when/if the snow comes but then there are 4-5 other months which are mostly just cold and wet.

So some kind of "winter escape" in southern Spain or France probably would be ideal, preferable something that is enduro friendy and lots of small twisty roads. It's a shame I speak pretty much perfect english but no spanish or french at all! Guess I should have picked one of those instead of german in school, the choices we make...

I'll have to check out the two places you mentioned! Once again thanks a lot for the info!
If Tenerife is what you want, then renting for a short time to experience it is the way to go. Look for the not-so-touristy places where locals live to rent reasonably cheap. 12-15 years ago that used to be Los Abrigos, El Medano, on the beach, Valle San Lorenzo, Buzanada, Cabo Blanco near the hills. All those were cheap and friendly, and within a few minutes of the major centers.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
If Tenerife is what you want, then renting for a short time to experience it is the way to go. Look for the not-so-touristy places where locals live to rent reasonably cheap. 12-15 years ago that used to be Los Abrigos, El Medano, on the beach, Valle San Lorenzo, Buzanada, Cabo Blanco near the hills. All those were cheap and friendly, and within a few minutes of the major centers.
Excellent. thanks! I'll check out those places!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote