User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Transam Trail sign near Jellico

I'm poking around here on ADV looking for a place to leave a ride report for the first 40+ mile section. I rode from Jellico to Hwy 27. First let me say that I wasn't using maps, just a GPS track from a friend of a friend. So I might not have even been on the route the entire time. But on Chitwood Mountain Rd. somewhere around 20-25 miles from the beginning at Days Inn in Jellico., I came up on a big sign that said something like "Private Road, Keep Out". Hmmm. The gravel after the sign looked just like the gravel up to that point. The utility lines along the road kept on going. There was a new "road" or wide path bush hogged up into a holler going right. And on down the road there were more "posted" signs on the right side of the road. I'm thinking that the county road department doesn't usually maintain private drives and it all looked the same gravel and workmanship. And why would someone put "posted" signs along his driveway on the right if the road in front of me was actually a private driveway. In my limited dual sport riding, I have seen where people who own land on the side of the road try to keep people from driving on little used dirt / gravel county roads by facing their "keep out" signs perpendicular to the road that's public. Is that what happened here? About 1/4 mile from the sign, I passed the real driveway to a nice new looking home with "posted" signs plastered all around their gate...ON THE RIGHT, not on the road. I never passed through a gate of any kind.

Remember, you don't have to be wrong to get a gun pointed at you. You just have to meet some nut who thinks he's right. And just because Google maps or your GPS says it's a public road, that doesn't mean it still is.

Approximate location of the sign (sorry no pics) N36 31' 55.27" W84 23' 17.48"

Right past the house, the gravel turned to dirt. Then gradually it started to wind back and forth across a creek. There had been a fair amount of rain in the day or so before but the water in the creek was not deep. Novice big bike riders might have a few small problems around the creek and some of the rocky uphills following. But traction was good and I was on a worn out dual sport tire.

Somewhere on the other side of the ridge from the creek bed, there's a downhill road section that' s clay mud. Think peanut butter on your finished concrete garage floor. There were 2 deep ruts apparently from Jeeps or trucks. You pretty much are going to end up in one of the ruts if it's wet. That's not necessarily a problem unless you're dragging a pannier. It would be hard to climb wet. I walked my bike down easy enough.

markdvk screwed with this post 02-04-2012 at 10:48 AM Reason: mistyped Transam in Title
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Hard Start

My buddy and I started the TAT last year and did the Jellico piece in one day, rode it down to Wartburg. Wow! we had some interesting turns and roads ... even met a few chickens rounding a corner. Let me just tell you, a hen in the chest at about 25 mph is more fun for the rider than the hen! Thought I was going to get shot by the owner. Worked out fine and all is well but we too had a rough start to the TAT. I will tell you that we did have the roll chart and maps ... still was a challenge to learn the turns.

Good luck and hang in there, it does get better. We will start our next leg in Oklahoma in May.
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote