ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #76
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 2,492
I don't notice the top case, but I suppose a bag strapped to the pillion seat would block my right leg more easily (compare available space in posts 73 and 74).
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #77
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry
 
mindfulness's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: as much as possible
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I don't notice the top case, but I suppose a bag strapped to the pillion seat would block my right leg more easily.
Gotcha, maybe I need to look more closely at how I mount the bike. I thought I was swinging my leg around and over, going out to the rack (where the top case would be). Maybe I could modify my swing and throw more of a knee bend in there
__________________
1985 BMW R80G/S
2010 Ducati Monster 1100 S | abs
1978 BMW | R100 | Recreated | Black & white
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #78
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,768
Foot doesn't hit the Vario top case when swinging leg over...it was more challenging on a long trip with gear strapped to the pillion seat however.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #79
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 2,492
You could also step on the left peg and mount. JVB showed me that one.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #80
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,380
With my bike on the center stand I climb aboard. I rock the bike forward off the stand and ride away never needing to touch a foot down. Big yellow bag on the pillion or no.
When I have both the big yellow bag, and have to park the bike on the side stand I have to hike my leg up and over; threading it between the tank and bag. Though I have climbed up on the bike from the high side and rocked it over to that side, swung the stand up so it would start and ridden off.

My preference is to not travel with the big bag, so I've been collapsing my gear to smaller and smaller volumes. I can fit everything into the three hard bags for weeks on end of camping travel. Instead of the Kermit chair I sit on a bag if I need to. I've even used the inside of the left Jesse as a cooking platform for my camp stove.

Big yellow bag,


No yellow bag,
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #81
joe camarda
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Oddometer: 180
Here is my topcase. It is a Givi 33L Trekker mounted to an Altrider rack which replaced the rear seat which I never use anyway.

I like the location of the topcase, except that it makes mounting and dismounting the bike more of an effort than need be.



__________________
I'm "a lazy bastard, living in a suit". Leonard Cohen

joe camarda screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 03:08 PM
joe camarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #82
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home
 
dmottv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NH Seacoast
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
So how do you guys with top cases typically mount the bike? I usually swing my right leg over the bike and with a top case there, I doubt that would work... I suppose it would be the same issue if a med/lrg dry duffel were strapped to the pillion?
Bike on sidestand, picture Chuck Norris on right side of bike. Step forward toward bike with left foot, pick right knee up in front of solar plexus, front kick out to Chuck's upper mid section over seat (while uttering KYUP). Chuck goes down while forward momentum lands you in the saddle. Quickly lift bike off sidestand and ride away before Chuck picks himself up and delivers jump spin backkick...
__________________
Dave - NH Seacoast; RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'07 KLR650; '02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '00 KDX200;
Gone: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #83
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry
 
mindfulness's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: as much as possible
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
Bike on sidestand, picture Chuck Norris on right side of bike. Step forward toward bike with left foot, pick right knee up in front of solar plexus, front kick out to Chuck's upper mid section over seat (while uttering KYUP). Chuck goes down while forward momentum lands you in the saddle. Quickly lift bike off sidestand and ride away before Chuck picks himself up and delivers jump spin backkick...
Thanks for the 'movie description'! I'll have to give this a try first... the GSA seat height is 35.5" plus another 1" added for the Russell so I may need to work on the flexibility
__________________
1985 BMW R80G/S
2010 Ducati Monster 1100 S | abs
1978 BMW | R100 | Recreated | Black & white
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #84
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry
 
mindfulness's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: as much as possible
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
With my bike on the center stand I climb aboard. I rock the bike forward off the stand and ride away never needing to touch a foot down. Big yellow bag on the pillion or no.
When I have both the big yellow bag, and have to park the bike on the side stand I have to hike my leg up and over; threading it between the tank and bag. Though I have climbed up on the bike from the high side and rocked it over to that side, swung the stand up so it would start and ridden off.

My preference is to not travel with the big bag, so I've been collapsing my gear to smaller and smaller volumes. I can fit everything into the three hard bags for weeks on end of camping travel. Instead of the Kermit chair I sit on a bag if I need to. I've even used the inside of the left Jesse as a cooking platform for my camp stove.

Big yellow bag,


No yellow bag,
Good point about the dry bag - you're right, w/o it - the top case is further away than I realized.
__________________
1985 BMW R80G/S
2010 Ducati Monster 1100 S | abs
1978 BMW | R100 | Recreated | Black & white
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #85
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home
 
dmottv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NH Seacoast
Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
Thanks for the 'movie description'! I'll have to give this a try first... the GSA seat height is 35.5" plus another 1" added for the Russell so I may need to work on the flexibility
Yup, I'm vertically challenged with a 30" inseam and have been riding bmw's with their taller seat heights for much of my riding life. The "step through/over the seat" method worked well for the K12LTC, and I use it to mount the R1150RTP too, though the rear radio case isn't much higher than the seat. I sometimes use the same method on my dirt bikes which have tall seat heights as well. Try it, you'll like it. I don't kick as high as I used to either...
__________________
Dave - NH Seacoast; RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'07 KLR650; '02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '00 KDX200;
Gone: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #86
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
Thanks for the 'movie description'! I'll have to give this a try first... the GSA seat height is 35.5" plus another 1" added for the Russell so I may need to work on the flexibility
Unless your topcase is mounted on the pillion seat area, mounting is the same as without a top box.. I may have brushed my toe against the top box back rest once or twice, but it really is a non-issue, plenty of room. The side kick as described is a useful technique when you have gear strapped to the pillion seat.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #87
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry
 
mindfulness's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: as much as possible
Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Unless your topcase is mounted on the pillion seat area, mounting is the same as without a top box.. I may have brushed my toe against the top box back rest once or twice, but it really is a non-issue, plenty of room. The side kick as described is a useful technique when you have gear strapped to the pillion seat.
Excellent, thank you. Now I've redirected my kick focus on the dry bag over the pillion
__________________
1985 BMW R80G/S
2010 Ducati Monster 1100 S | abs
1978 BMW | R100 | Recreated | Black & white
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #88
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer
 
AK Bear's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Anchorage
Oddometer: 1,612
Never thought I'd use a top case but bought a used GS from a friend in 2003 that it came with one. BMW brand, It's extreemly useful and I use it almost every time I ride. Much more convenient than the side cases. Big enough for my brief case with large laptop if I'm going to work and plenty big for a couple bags of groceries. I have read of them coming off but I suspect they wern't properly installed.
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #89
ultane
sqeezin the bag
 
ultane's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: The dry side of the blood brain barrier
Oddometer: 1,070
Yes

After riding two up on a 2007 GS ADV for several years, and now having a 2011 GS ADV, I can say without a doubt, Get the top case!!!

The 2011 ADV with the enduro tranny is a wheely popping machine when a rider is in pillion.. DAMHIK Your passenger will thank you the first time you pull the front wheel off the ground..
__________________
I might be wrong, just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #90
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **
 
nanotech9's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Oddometer: 1,435
'05 12GS... sold off my Vario side cases for ADV cases, but kept the top Vario case.

the ADV cases will just barely clear the Vario top case when they open.

So far i've left it set up where the passenger can use it as a back rest...

the G/F thinks the back rest on the Vario is pretty decent.

We've ridden two up and i've ridden pretty rough river eds and jeep trails with the top vario on... I just keep a quick strap wrapped around it to keep it from bouncing. Not much of an inconvenience.
__________________
NANOFAB ::: Custom Kydex & Metal projects
_________________________________________________
'05 BMW 1200GS
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014