ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #1411
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Thanks Dirtclaudkilly,
and to answer your question about a tuner in California... I found a recommendation
from Powertrip. Any one use this shop? KJ

JT&S Performance (
http://www.jtsperformance.com/), Infineon Raceway Sonoma CA

From Triumph foram
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/arch...p/t-50266.html
I've used his services on my track bikes a couple times. Good results and good tuner. That said, it was a mobile service in his truck (nothing wrong with that) but time was limited. A good tune on the 990 will take time...
Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #1412
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,812
I have EU map original 07/08

I modified minimum 2nd throttle opening at 14%. I have difficultry in morning low temperature start up. Would you guys think it could be the reason?
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #1413
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
My guess would be you are running too lean. If you think how the system is actually working with the 2nd butterflies open you are allowing more air into the mix, which means you are running leaner. If you think back to carburated bikes (or any engine for that matter) you usually have a choke switch on them. Which essentially closes off the air like the 2nd butterflies do. You run the choke when cold and then turn it off after the bike is warm.

This is assuming that all you did was change the 2nd butterfly values and not the fuel tables.

Try adding in 5% increase to the L tables at 0 throttle and 0-2000 RPM (basically idle). If you have your O2 sensor turned off then you may need to do the same on the F tables.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #1414
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,530
Import values from exported file

Hey everyone,

Perhaps I have missed something and someone can point me in the correct direction..... I have read the manual, messed around in the program (running v2.0.0.3), changed the external file from comma delimited to tab delimited..... and it still will not allow me to "Paste" these values into the selected table. I can however say copy the F1 table and paste it to the F2 table (not that I want to do that). Its like the app is not calling the clipboard contents from outside the app.

In effect, what I want to do is have TuneEcu "consume" either a properly configured .csv or .txt file and "import" these values into the selected table while in edit mode within the TuneEcu App. It will do this with a PCIII file. I don't really need the automated consumption/import part, just the ability to paste from the clipboard.....

Anyone know if this is possible? If not, can we get this added to the TuneEcu application by the developer/s?

Why? Because Excel is MUCH easier to work in when dealing with fields of data and Macros can be written and all sorts of other bits to make the process easier to alter a map file.....

Input greatly appreciated!
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #1415
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
If the TPS value changes when at operating temperature, wouldn't it be easier to heat up the*TPS using a heat gun and check it with digital or "laser style" temp sensor, rather than reassembling the tanks and air box and running the bike and checking it. This seems like a lot of assembling, dismantling to get an accurate reading. If that is the case can someone tell me what temps they see inside the air box, preferably right at the TPS?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #1416
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
can someone tell me what temps they see inside the air box, preferably right at the TPS?
If stock airbox with no heat shielding, 160+F is quite easy.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #1417
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
If stock airbox with no heat shielding, 160+F is quite easy.
Mine will have heat shielding when I reassemble it. How much cooler? Is this plan reasonable Tahoe? I am more methodical than quick when playing with things designed by smarter people than me, so pretty sure the reassemble, run and check for me would be a pita.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #1418
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Mine will have heat shielding when I reassemble it. How much cooler? Is this plan reasonable Tahoe? I am more methodical than quick when playing with things designed by smarter people than me, so pretty sure the reassemble, run and check for me would be a pita.
I wouldn't put a whole lot of heat on it. You would be heating it quicker than what it normally sees. Can't trust electrical stuff around heat too much. You could plug in to TuneEcu and watch the voltage as you warm it up. I find the difference between hot and cold to be pretty consistently .05 volts. I just left my left side fuel tank off then warmed it up.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #1419
motonin8
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello guys, anyone of you is able to use Torque for Android with 'the ECU 990?
thanks
motonin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #1420
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
I wouldn't put a whole lot of heat on it. You would be heating it quicker than what it normally sees. Can't trust electrical stuff around heat too much. You could plug in to TuneEcu and watch the voltage as you warm it up. I find the difference between hot and cold to be pretty consistently .05 volts. I just left my left side fuel tank off then warmed it up.
Actually was figuring on heating up the whole airbox area slowly (while shooting it for temp to monitor it) so that it simulates normal heatsoak - localized heat wouldnt stay there long enough to make adjustments anyway I was guessing (my workshop area is pretty cold at his time of the year). Just remembered that my datalogging Fluke came with a thermistor which is tiny and can be laid in place beside the TPS, or even poked through a small hole to record airbox temps while running, logging the whole thing. Would be really cool if I had that much time on my hands.
Thanks for the tip on the 0.05 - gives me a starting point.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #1421
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Its time...

...soon to get off the fence and start playing with TuneEcu. After I check my valves and fit my second fan, and a few other odd jobs that will be easier with this excavating already done, I want to start getting everything adjusted and synced and probably install the R map.
I have read this thread religiously from the start, and know how much info is squirreled away in its pages. I wonder if anyone has given any thought to starting a new thread with a whittled down version of agreed-upon guidelines and values, maybe even add it to its own section of the HOW. Just such a daunting task (in my mind at least) to read all these pages again. I usually run so sleep-deprived these days, that checking my emails is enough to have me scanning my eyelids.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #1422
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 491
+1 TuneECU: A "HOW TO" would be a great thing.

I have read all the posts at least twice but could do that again twice more and still be scratching my head.

Got the cable from CJ
Got my lap top set up
Got the Euro light Switch...Off is good.
Got to get the stiches out from my shoulder surgery and I'm going in!

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 11:31 AM Reason: Baad Speler
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #1423
suhoi27
n00b

Oddometer: 2
finally

wow! 2 months reading, Trying to understand and filter all these 95 pages! I got the cable,software, Lm2 Dual channel-ready to fry any ECU available:0) I would also appreciate a shorter, how-to version
suhoi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #1424
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,425
For all you characters asking for a how-to, there's tons on info on the TuneEcu site, but it's not obvious.

The black topics across the top of the page here:

http://www.tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/install1.html

Install-Connect-etc

go to pages in the Tune Ecu manual, and the "how-to" is pretty well handled there. AS to what values to use, well, they're not gonna tell you that.

First thing to do once it's up is to download your current map from the ECU and save it and back it up somewhere. The great thing about FI is that it's not black magic like the carbs and you're not risking gaskets, small parts, float valves, or throttle cables every time you make a change. To get back to your starting point, just load up the map you started with!

But....if you have a 2009 or newer 990, I'd just download the power tripp maps from the tuneecu site and give them a try. They aren't perfect but they are both damn good and by looking at the changes between stock and the powertripp maps and paying attention to the changes in the way the bike runs, you can get a pretty good idea of places to make changes, and which direction to try.

The best solution remains a custom tune but I've gotta say that the improvements for me with the PT map were so great that if the bike had come this way, I'd never have opened this thread.

Good luck!

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.

Alleycatdad screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 12:03 PM
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #1425
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Who all are selling the interface cables? Or part numbers for building them yourself? I see CJ has 'em, but $60... Lots of folks are referencing a +/- $20 number.

Probably buried in this thread somewheres, I did do a search...

Thanks
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote