Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #46
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Reminds me of mesmaloya and yelapa some of the water and mt pics/scenery.I keep reading this thread Im gonna quit my job and take up riding full time.Ya had me sold at the churro's cinnamon roll/bun stand thats worth the trip in itselfIve seen more things and variety of fishes/rays then Ive seen my whole life stateside.Back in 09 there was this huge manta ray that came by our hotel for 3-4 days.We saw the fishing boats and I said to buddy I bet them bastards are gonna kill that,after he said they catch anything there.We didnt see it agin after that and some one said they killed it and it was one of the biggest they ever caught.It was the 1st MAnta ray I ever saw in my life at 34 years old ,its never too late to see or learn new things.It looked like a b2 bomber in the water.Anyway sorry to take over your thread,sticks a cinnamon bun in his mouth and listens and reads intently
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #47
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
Reminds me of mesmaloya and yelapa some of the water and mt pics/scenery.I keep reading this thread Im gonna quit my job and take up riding full time.Ya had me sold at the churro's cinnamon roll/bun stand thats worth the trip in itselfIve seen more things and variety of fishes/rays then Ive seen my whole life stateside.Back in 09 there was this huge manta ray that came by our hotel for 3-4 days.We saw the fishing boats and I said to buddy I bet them bastards are gonna kill that,after he said they catch anything there.We didnt see it agin after that and some one said they killed it and it was one of the biggest they ever caught.It was the 1st MAnta ray I ever saw in my life at 34 years old ,its never too late to see or learn new things.It looked like a b2 bomber in the water.Anyway sorry to take over your thread,sticks a cinnamon bun in his mouth and listens and reads intently
Yah, Churros mess with your brain and make you do strange things. Thanks for following along RebelYell.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #48
treebrain
Bobby Lynch

Oddometer: 47
worth the price of admission

I'm not sure what lies in the future of this RR, but the surreal clip of the burro dragging the wood is gonna be tough to beat.
treebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #49
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treebrain View Post
I'm not sure what lies in the future of this RR, but the surreal clip of the burro dragging the wood is gonna be tough to beat.
Yah, I have no idea what lies in the future for this ride or this RR but thanks for following along treebrain. That little guy was on a mission and had obviously done this trek many times in the past.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #50
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 13 - Jan 30

Short day today distance wise – only went from Los Mochis to Culiacan but did a bit of wandering in the hills. Cuota and Libre combined for awhile, they get a toll and then they split. Headed up a road I had preplaned from the Libre east then south. Paved part of the way then turned into good gravel. Then gravel varied a bit – lots of dry water crossings. Not a lot of scenery but once I got going was nobody around.

Followed the road into a very small town – suddenly realized that virtually all the houses were nice to luxury. Lots of new cars, new ATVs, etc. Lots of construction. Couldn’t find the road I was to continue on so, carried on through the town. Wound up scooting up a driveway to a pretty fancy place to turn around. Got yelled at by some guys in the street. Turned around, shake hands and carry on. Didn’t see any guns - didn't actually expect to. Lets see, we are in Sinaloa State, we are up in the hills a long way from anything, there is a tremendous amount of wealth in town, the place is palatial, there is no apparent active business in the area, mine, farm, nothing, there are a lot of Hombres around giving me the Stink-Eye. Ahhh, probably a just a bunch of the Mexican upper crust wanting to get away from it all . . . could well be.

Of course, I stuck to the Libre roads where I could. The Libre roads are generally the old highway which go through all of the small towns that have been there for a long time. They are free while the Cuota is more of a freeway, hardly any topes, 4 lane but you get to pay a toll for using it. I like the Libres as there is more to see and experience that way. Every once in awhile, they get sneaky. For instance, just before Culiacan, cruising along the Libre, sign pops up, End of the Libre, then another sign, Start of the Cuota then a toll both – all within a half mile. Bastards!

Just to satisfy my farm need and a need for something visual in this post, you see these structures to the right in this brief video every once in awhile on the flat farmland. They are netting and my guess is they are sheltering tomatoes - they are huge.

Decided the afternoon was getting long and I would get a place in Culiacan. What a mistake! I drove around this berg for an hour looking for a hotel lots of motels at the outskirts but I wanted just a regular joint.

Another moment to explain the difference between a motel and hotel. Hotels are what we are used to and many look like what we think of as motels – drive up to the door, etc. although many are the multi-storey inside entrance buildings. However, on the outskirts of most larger towns are numerous Motels. Motels are where you go if you want to discretely rent a room for just a few hours. They are designed with an entrance and exit and you usually can’t see inside the grounds. Each room has a private garage and all transactions are done with cash, no names and in fact the staff wouldn’t even see you if you wanted real discretion. Usually rental is from a few hours to half a day. I wound up in one last year and it actually worked pretty well although I was awakened periodically by garage doors opening and closing. Had a 12 hour stay and had to be out at 6:13AM – worked fine for me. No WiFi though and the TV had a “limited selection” of, um, genre.

So, didn’t want a Motel tonight. Let Garmin drag me around looking mostly for places that didn’t exist finally thought, how about Lonely Planet – they should have a couple of recommendations. Can you believe for a City of 600,000 they don’t recommend one hotel or even a restaurant. Sure backpackers are going to avoid a city if they can (as should bikers) but the odd one must get stuck there. They did mention there were some hotels near the river so, went that way and found a whole wack of fancy places – feast or famine. Finally found the Hotel San Carlos around the corner from the new places. It was basic but just fine – parking inside the courtyard that is secured with a steel gate at night, the best WiFi I’ve had the whole trip – just no AC. Oh, and 300p – about $23.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #51
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Did you catch the name of the wealthy town in the hills or was it just a development of nice homes?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #52
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post
Did you catch the name of the wealthy town in the hills or was it just a development of nice homes?
No, it was a little town. I, ah, don't remember its name.

Thanks for following.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #53
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 14 - Jan 31

A pretty uneventful day transiting from Culiacan to San Blas, just west of the city of Tepic. Terrain changed from wide open flat land very conducive to large farming to much smaller family farms, vegetable farms and orchards as the mountains started to crowd in towards the ocean. Agriculture certainly seems to be the predominate employer.

Mountains started pushing towards the ocean and farm land starts to shrink

I had always heard about San Blas and figured I should check it out – was expecting a sleepy tourist beach town. What I saw when I arrived was a very Mexican town. Wandered around looking for a hotel (not having the foresight to find a recommendation) finally found main street and saw a couple of suitable places. Stopped at the Hotel Los Alverez – decent parking, hot water, AC, WiFi . . . 300p. Two 300p nights in a row. Great! Nothing fancy but suits me.

Unloaded the bike and needed a beer. Walked up the street to a little tienda (store) and bought a couple of Barrilitos, another great Mexican beer. (Not many that are at least “good”)

Some vendors on the main street

Mexican meat market

Cooled off, and went looking for dinner. Found the town’s square was just hoppin. Turns out the town has a cultural week and tonight features a singer. So, a big percentage of the town turns out, usually as families. I really enjoy just watching the people and Mexican families are at the top of that list. The Mexican families I have observed seem to be pretty tight. They enjoy doing things together and older kids will play with younger kids. They seem to be pretty happy.

Kids playing in the center of the town's Zócalo
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #54
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #55
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Thanks man. And thanks to you, in a couple of weeks Mrs RexBuck will be joining me for awhile in Oaxaca . . .
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #56
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Steve

Enjoying following along here. You are doing well. Any thoughts on the f800 gs for all your fans. Happy with the performance? Is it the right bike for Mexico? I love my Gsa but from some ride reports a slightly smaller bike has its advantages in Latin America. Nice to see tricepilot following your ride. I just finished reading his 2007 RR and will read his other two RR's in the next week. He certainly gets me excited to travel more in Mexico. You boys are living the life and i read the reports and try to keep the economy moving forward on the homefront

BJ

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #57
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,000
Great RR so far RexBuck: loving the Pic's and narrative!!!

The little Beach town of San Blas has WiFi in the Zocalo now & heard it's actually pretty fast....
Keep up the good work...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #58
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Steve

Enjoying following along here. You are doing well. Any thoughts on the f800 gs for all your fans. Happy with the performance? Is it the right bike for Mexico? I love my Gsa but from some ride reports a slightly smaller bike has its advantages in Latin America. Nice to see tricepilot following your ride. I just finished reading his 2007 RR and will read his other two RR's in the next week. He certainly gets me excited to travel more in Mexico. You boys are living the life and i read the reports and try to keep the economy moving forward on the homefront

BJ
Thanks BJ. I am really enjoying the 800 on this trip so far. Only had one time where it was a real handful and that was the very brief period in some deep sand. I am starting to understand the adage of when on these trips, you will never wish for a larger bike. The 800 has tons of power for the highway and can pass in a flash. It is still a big bike and there are tons of roads I wouldn't dream of going on but these little dirt bikes are zipping all over the place on them. So, for a compromise bike the 800 is great. Comfortable on the highway and good on non-pavement. I've ridden this bike on some pretty rough roads/trails that I wouldn't consider fully loaded and by myself a long way from home.

The GSA is a phenominal bike - I learned on one. HIgher top speed, greater acceleration and that boxer engine is an amazing powerplant. I think the same things apply to it as the 800 - big, that is good most the time but every once in awhile you wish it was smaller.

TricePilot writes a great report - he's been a real inspiration.

I think dreaming is an important part o getting ready for these trips. And, those of us goofing off appreciate people keeping the economy moving forward.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #59
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Great RR so far RexBuck: loving the Pic's and narrative!!!

The little Beach town of San Blas has WiFi in the Zocalo now & heard it's actually pretty fast....
Keep up the good work...
Thanks for following along going south. Didn't know there was WiFi downtown in San Blas - I have to pay attention more in many of these little towns.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #60
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
I am really enjoying your trip report. Nice narrative with regards to the hotels/motels, borders, wifi, costs, etc.

Now, how do I get in on this "retirement" thing?
Sooner rather than later, I hope!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote