Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #2221
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang28027 View Post
I have been following along as well. I think most RRs that I have read say that 40.00 per day is a good to plan for while on the road. This includes fuel, food and also lodging. Totaling this up, to live on about $15,000 year round sounds like a pretty good deal. Dont know if it is realistic. Have to consider other things like medical care, etc, for additional costs.

Does your budget allow for staying put for an extended period of time? Dont have to go back to work, do you? While it is winter here, I assume your time there is seasonless. Sounds to me like staying there is a wonderful idea.

Dave
Dave,

It really depends what the costs that you include in your per day costs. There are always things you do not expect so you need to plan for this. Also being on the road can be "hard" work, and is not for everyone. Also side trips like I am planning on flying to the Galapagos Island and taking a boat around for a week or so. Looks like it will be $1,500-$2,000 to do this, but it is something I want to do. So that really adds to the overall costs.

My trip does allow for extended stay or other options, but I am very fortunate! But at some point I will need to start a new chapter of my life including going "home" and starting over with some type of work or business. But I do not have a specific plan yet.

Hope this helps!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #2222
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,696
Hi Mark,

Good job keeping the RR going! It's a nice easy read with good pix.

Trice and I finally got our CA tickets punched with a brief foray into Guatemala. Lake Atitlan, Antigua and Tikal before exiting for Palenque
and the ride home. Best 2 week ride of my life. Looking forward to doing
a greatly extended version in a few years. Ojala que si!

JD

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #2223
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,879
How is the knee? It looks like you are having a great time.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #2224
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Trice and I finally got our CA tickets punched with a brief foray into Guatemala. Lake Atitlan, Antigua and Tikal before exiting for Palenque
and the ride home. Best 2 week ride of my life.
Hey JD,

Sounds like you hit the best parts of Guatemala!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #2225
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
How is the knee?
The knee is back to Normal. Did a 5.5 mile hike while in Barichara and had no pain or issues! Just need to do some more execises to strengthen the muscles so I limit the problems in the future!

Thanks for asking!

Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #2226
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
I have been following along as well. I think most RRs that I have read say that 40.00 per day is a good to plan for while on the road. This includes fuel, food and also lodging. Totaling this up, to live on about $15,000 year round sounds like a pretty good deal. Dont know if it is realistic. Have to consider other things like medical care, etc, for additional costs.
I am reviewing my costs to date and will try to give a better breakdown of the TOTAL costs. If you consider Insurance, bike transporting, Bike repairs, bike set up, etc the per day goes up. But one needs to seriously consider all the costs for this type of travel. My first 3 months were in the US and Canada and were well over $100 per day including bike maintenance, tires, gas, hotels, camping, ferry rides etc. Put on 24K miles in 3 months.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2227
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
The knee is back to Normal. Did a 5.5 mile hike while in Barichara and had no pain or issues! Just need to do some more execises to strengthen the muscles so I limit the problems in the future!

Thanks for asking!

That is good news

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #2228
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 402
Great ride report! Thanks for taking us along. Keep on, keeping on!

This ride report to me helps exemplify that folks are good natured most everywhere you go if you greet them with a smile and a good attitude.

S~
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #2229
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:

Dave
$40 per day with fuel included might HAVE been possible, but the US Dollar has also suffered devaluation...

Some math is easy to do: if you have a bike that will give you aprox 40-45 MPG and you ride 200 miles in one day, at $4,00 per gallon (which is really more like $5 or more in most South American countries) you will be spending AT LEAST $20 on fuel.... That leaves you $20 for lodging and food... You might be able to score some cheap accommodations a couple of nights, but it is highly unlikely you'll be able to do it every day...
I live in South America and travel overland plenty either on the bike or in my truck with the family... $65 a day would be more realistic (IF you are willing to be on a tight budget) or probably something closer to $100 per day if you wish to eat better and stay in nicer places like Radioman is doing (and I'm not talking 5 star hotels either... or 4)... YMMV, just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #2230
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 266
Great Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
$40 per day with fuel included might HAVE been possible, but the US Dollar has also suffered devaluation...

Some math is easy to do: if you have a bike that will give you aprox 40-45 MPG and you ride 200 miles in one day, at $4,00 per gallon (which is really more like $5 or more in most South American countries) you will be spending AT LEAST $20 on fuel.... That leaves you $20 for lodging and food... You might be able to score some cheap accommodations a couple of nights, but it is highly unlikely you'll be able to do it every day...
I live in South America and travel overland plenty either on the bike or in my truck with the family... $65 a day would be more realistic (IF you are willing to be on a tight budget) or probably something closer to $100 per day if you wish to eat better and stay in nicer places like Radioman is doing (and I'm not talking 5 star hotels either... or 4)... YMMV, just my 2 cents.
Well, whether it's $40 or $100, getting info like this is certainly worth more than we're paying for it as readers of the thread. It's invaluable in planning and will certainly enable more and more riders to ensure they experience as much of the world as possible without surprise or sticker shock. Thanks to everyone who contributes.

And Mark, I'm also thoroughly enjoying your RR and your photos.

Party on.
CJ

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #2231
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post

Great comment. I have spent a little time in the past few days figuring how much I am spending including all the expenses, Food, Lodging, Gas, bike repairs (yea, mine have been a bit higher do to a few issues,but it is also part of travel to do maintenance or repairs), insurance, transport, border fees, etc. Depending on which part of my trip I review and calculate.... it changes. I feel very good about $100 /Day for the larger total, including everything. 9USA/CAN was closer to $130, Mexico was about $50, Central America once I reached Costa Rica/Panama was $65 Colombia has been about $65 but I was in Medellin for 3 weeks or so, which was more as I was eating 3 meals a day!

I will exclude the trip to Antarctica as that is a very expensive part of the trip, but one that I am going to do once I reach Ushaia.

Know it is helpful if I share this kind of information, as I researched a great deal while I was planning my trip. Glad it is helpful! Know that some can whittle down and not eat out, find cheaper places to stay, and not pay for any extra sights or eat out of Grocery stores, but for me I am not doing that very often.

Wil keep track and update this thread later in my travels by country.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #2232
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,719
All I know is, I am spending more that $100 per day by staying home.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #2233
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
All I know is, I am spending more that $100 per day by staying home.
YUP!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #2234
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 272
And that is the point...the cost is obviously a factor, but the experience is priceless. RM - how would you rate the trip so far relative to your expectations when you set out - about what you expected or off the charts (all things considered)?

Awesome report BTW.

Chris
Serbchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #2235
raceu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
WOW $100 a day your shattering my dreams,3000 a month,+ maintaing the home front. maybe I need to buy a adventure bicycle, does KTM make one? I have another question what did you bring that you didn't need and what do you wish you had brought? I know I need a tent and a bag of rice.
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote