Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #181
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,810
Looks like an awesome Mexican 1000 vintage entry!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #182
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
The old school way is mounting your nav gear on the crossbar. And put your tool box on top of the gas tank!

Tourances??

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #183
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,922
And the waterproofing on the spark plug cable is good ...
640 Armageddon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #184
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
And the waterproofing on the spark plug cable is good ...
That's the kill switch. Short the lead out to the head.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #185
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
The old school way is mounting your nav gear on the crossbar. And put your tool box on top of the gas tank!

Cannonball entry?
Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #186
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Circus bear bump
Old 02-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #187
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Was thinking about this thread and wanted to add one more thought, especially for the US folks who haven't gotten to ride a roadbook before: the equipment is less important than getting to do it.

A bunch of folks here in Colorado started with the cheapy plastic acerbis just about duct-taped to the handlebars and a mechanical odo, and had an absolute blast.

I think many folks think they need all this stuff before they can go try it, that's not the case. KISS, then once you're addicted, start raising the game.

Sorry to pick on you, but you seemed to contradicted yourself a bit with the whole hog rally nav tower that you used for Dakar. Could you have done just as well with everything bolted to the H-bars? Maybe you realized that having everything off the bars was a better idea? Thanks for your time.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #188
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Sorry to pick on you, but you seemed to contradicted yourself a bit with the whole hog rally nav tower that you used for Dakar. Could you have done just as well with everything bolted to the H-bars? Maybe you realized that having everything off the bars was a better idea? Thanks for your time.
I had interpreted his statement to mean that in the beginning the experience of road book navigation is the more important thing and that one shouldn't put that off because they do not have the high-end navigation equipment. While we would all love to have the optimal equipment set-up it may not be financially feasible (or really necessary) in the beginning of the learning curve. With that said, I don't think that anyone would suggest entering a competitive rallye at an international level with a manual road book.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #189
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
I had interpreted his statement to mean that in the beginning the experience of road book navigation is the more important thing and that one shouldn't put that off because they do not have the high-end navigation equipment. While we would all love to have the optimal equipment set-up it may not be financially feasible (or really necessary) in the beginning of the learning curve. With that said, I don't think that anyone would suggest entering a competitive rallye at an international level with a manual road book.

- Ken
Relax Ken, I'm asking because I'm at the point where I need to decide which way to go with a Nav setup. Money is an issue for me also, so spending it wisely is important. If Ned thinks it was a benefit to get the weight off the bars, then I'll really try to go that route. I don't have experience either way, so I need his advice. Do you have opinion? Which version do you prefer from a fatique point of view?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #190
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
I think the key point here is that the navigation setup could be different for different events. At the Safari rally I needed a roadbook and an odometer and that was it. I don't think GPS was allowed but it wouldn't have done you much good. I used a reasonably simple handlebar mount setup and did not find the weight on the bars to be much of an issue. The terrain consisted of loose sand roads and hard packed 2 tracks for the most part. In an event like Dakar with all the crap you have to carry a frame setup would be ideal given you have all the extra equipment on the bike.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #191
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124

We've been using this rally-light set up for a couplr of years now. Billet plate bolts to H/bar top clamp

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...r-scott-ohlins

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...dbook%20-mount

beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #192
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

That's a nice simple set up Beaney, love it!

Seth, so all the extra weight on your bars wasn't an issue then? Honestly Seth, I don't want two or three different set ups for rally. Like I said, I'm at a place where I have some options and I'm trying to make a good decision. I don't ever plan on doing the Dakar, it has zero interest to me. I would like to do a few other rally events, like the MX1000, Toureg, Albania etc etc etc.

I've been thinking that a hybrid nav set up would be nice, a cross between the ultra simple H-bars style and the steering stem option. So far Paul's design seems like the best compromise between performance and simplicity but I've only done Rallymoto, so I don't have a clue if my thoughts are correct or not. As is usually the case, it's personal preference.

I'm hoping Ned chimes in
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #193
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
That's a nice simple set up Beaney, love it!

Seth, so all the extra weight on your bars wasn't an issue then? Honestly Seth, I don't want two or three different set ups for rally. Like I said, I'm at a place where I have some options and I'm trying to make a good decision. I don't ever plan on doing the Dakar, it has zero interest to me. I would like to do a few other rally events, like the MX1000, Toureg, Albania etc etc etc.

I've been thinking that a hybrid nav set up would be nice, a cross between the ultra simple H-bars style and the steering stem option. So far Paul's design seems like the best compromise between performance and simplicity but I've only done Rallymoto, so I don't have a clue if my thoughts are correct or not. As is usually the case, it's personal preference.

I'm hoping Ned chimes in
Pauls setup is looking good. You are welcome to borrow my bar clamp setup and take it for a local test drive..use it if you want. I'll sell you my F2R roadbook holder for a deal too....its a gen 1 rb unit and I'd like to switch to the newer version...but the old one would work fine for mexico.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #194
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Pauls setup is looking good. You are welcome to borrow my bar clamp setup and take it for a local test drive..use it if you want. I'll sell you my F2R roadbook holder for a deal too....its a gen 1 rb unit and I'd like to switch to the newer version...but the old one would work fine for mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
We've been using this rally-light set up for a couplr of years now. Billet plate bolts to H/bar top clamp

Beanie, Seth and Aaron, this is similar to what Seth and I were going to do last year before we kept the RMS mounts, I' like the looks of both, but the RMS mounts have the ability to be completely removed quickly and easily. The top clamp mounts will work with my guard setup, but it would be more of a pain to remove for single track and I'd like to see it farther away from the brake line or the lines run down the triple.

Aaron, we can look at something like that if you'd like, but the farther out from the steering stem, the more momentum you'll have and feel. It'll always be a compromise to some extent, but like you said, it's not Dakar, you can get away with a lot less.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #195
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Aaron,

If all you need is the roadbook and an ICO then I think the RMS sytem will work fine. I used it during a three day draining last year and had no problems, didn't really notice the weight on the bars at all. I also think this system is probably a little more crash worthy as it can rotate. For Dakar there is so much more needed to be mounted that a fix mount on the steering stem makes sense. I'd keep it as simple as possible.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote