Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #181
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport View Post
I have a couple of new sets of 45mm Marzocchi Shiver forks from when Cannondale went under. Are they the same?
I would love to find a use for them.
What year? What is the cartridge rod diam?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #182
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
You need a higher rate spring (USD forks dive while braking), what are you running for float? .8-1.5mm?
I pulled the HyperPro "Big Tank" progressives out and replaced with the RaceTech springs. Unfortunately the snow flew before I had enough time to get them really dialed in. But just changing the springs and nothing else was a huge improvement.

Float? Not sure what you're referring to.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #183
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I pulled the HyperPro "Big Tank" progressives out and replaced with the RaceTech springs. Unfortunately the snow flew before I had enough time to get them really dialed in. But just changing the springs and nothing else was a huge improvement.

Float? Not sure what you're referring to.
What rate are tge race tech springs?
They are straight rate springs which is better. The valving is tunable and progressive so the springs don't need to be.

By float I'm sure he means air over oil. How much do you have? That can help tune in the suspension as well.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #184
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Float refers to the float in the mid valve shims, air over oil is called air chamber length.

I don't get the completely stupid mistery that seems to surround BMW fork springs, whether OEM or aftermarket - nobody actually tells you what rate their springs are. So you will have to hope that they are actually right for you, whether you are a 150 or 250 lbs rider.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #185
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

The Marzocchi shiver springs come in 2 different stiffnesses. .45 or .5.
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idCategory=180

The forks I bought used already had the stiffer springs. I am NOT a fan of progressive springs. Prefer straight rate.

BMW stock spring rate available here:
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...0%20GS/2008-10

Says .44 which is why I wanted the stiffer springs.

BTW I don't think racetech's spring rate calculator for the BMW F800 is correct. It says at 185 lbs I should have 0.876 kg/mm spring. That would in my opinion be way too stiff. If you go to the G450X and check there for dirt riding at 185 lbs it says .48 spring. If you add some for the weight of the bike then .05-.55 is probably closer. That was my figuring anyway. The Marzocchi Shiver'd conversion I did siffened it up nicely and tuneability is great.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #186
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 828
There spring rate calculator is off if you ride anything but motocross. Custom springs are needed for this bike, most bikes with this conversion need .54 to .62 dependant on the weight of the rider.
Lukas is correct about his float description.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #187
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
There spring rate calculator is off if you ride anything but motocross. Custom springs are needed for this bike, most bikes with this conversion need .54 to .62 dependant on the weight of the rider.
Lukas is correct about his float description.
What would be your suggested sag setting for the front and rear?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #188
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Bitubo springs are .60 kg and I believe you can buy them separately from their cartridge. Ohlins springs are .55kg and work fine with my Bitubo cartridge replacement.

I think the rev tech calculator is way off. Their replacement spring is S4047 without any weight given. If you do the weight calculator it recommends S4047/95 which is a .95kg spring.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #189
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I think the rev tech calculator is way off. Their replacement spring is S4047 without any weight given. If you do the weight calculator it recommends S4047/95 which is a .95kg spring.
Yeah the Race Tech calculator recommends whichever Race Tech springs that are closest to what you need. The problem is that they only have .95kg springs so for rider weight from 32lbs to 300lbs they recommend the .095kg springs. Luckily they happen to work for me @240lbs plus TT big tank etc.

As far as float goes...no idea. I'd never heard the term before it was posted here yesterday

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 09:15 AM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #190
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
What would be your suggested sag setting for the front and rear?
Springs hold the bike up. If your springs are in the right SAG range then you are good to go and the rest is handled with the valving, oil, and adjustments.

If you are not in the right sag then you need stiffer or less stiff springs OR more or less preload.

Which is why I asked about the proper SAG settings?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #191
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Anyone got a line on some 45mm internals or complete forks? Shoot me a PM. Thanks!
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #192
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Anyone got a line on some 45mm internals or complete forks? Shoot me a PM. Thanks!
Sent ya a PM. There are sets around.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #193
FinStorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
The Marzocchi shiver springs come in 2 different stiffnesses. .45 or .5.
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idCategory=180

The forks I bought used already had the stiffer springs. I am NOT a fan of progressive springs. Prefer straight rate.

BMW stock spring rate available here:
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...0%20GS/2008-10

Says .44 which is why I wanted the stiffer springs.

BTW I don't think racetech's spring rate calculator for the BMW F800 is correct. It says at 185 lbs I should have 0.876 kg/mm spring. That would in my opinion be way too stiff. If you go to the G450X and check there for dirt riding at 185 lbs it says .48 spring. If you add some for the weight of the bike then .05-.55 is probably closer. That was my figuring anyway. The Marzocchi Shiver'd conversion I did siffened it up nicely and tuneability is great.
These are the springrates aviable according to Shiver manual, http://slorider.com/Aprilia/manuals/...i_Shiver45.pdf, page 91.

The springs in my Aprilia RXV Shiver was definitaly 4,8 according to lengdth and wire diameter. What is a bit confusing is that the BMW OEM springs are exactly the same. Racetech is probably the only source that tells OEM springs to be 4,4, either we have different setup in Europe and USA or RT are wrong.

What about the shock? Is the springrate ok, or does it have to be stiffened too when upgrading the fork?
FinStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #194
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinStorm View Post
These are the springrates aviable according to Shiver manual, http://slorider.com/Aprilia/manuals/...i_Shiver45.pdf, page 91.

The springs in my Aprilia RXV Shiver was definitaly 4,8 according to lengdth and wire diameter. What is a bit confusing is that the BMW OEM springs are exactly the same. Racetech is probably the only source that tells OEM springs to be 4,4, either we have different setup in Europe and USA or RT are wrong.

What about the shock? Is the springrate ok, or does it have to be stiffened too when upgrading the fork?
The rear shock is ok. The front was the problem. The rear seems to work a bit better now that it is not overwhelming the front froks.

That said I still plan to repalce it wtih an elka when $$ allow for it.

BTW that link is to the Factory Works forks. The Aprilia spring rates in the US are availble over on the AF1 website. They sell the replacement springs but htey are pretty expensive vs. other springs.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #195
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinStorm View Post

Well it looks like they upgraded their website and offer another spring.http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...0%20GS/2008-10
Now .75kg and 95kg. Still seem heavy to me. Especially when compared for other springs offered for this bike. Ohlins .55kg, Bitubo 60.kg, Standard Hyperpro progressive .52-74kg.

A caparable bike that is heavier, especially in the front. Stock 950 is 4.5NM which converts to .49kg. Koonz racing offers a .62kg spring for the 800xc which is also heavier than a F800 in front.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 10:48 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote