Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Custom Tune - PowerCommander or TuneECU?

Man, I've tried to get my head around the TuneECU thread, but it's overwhelming. And from what I'm gathering to get a really good tune you need diagnostic equipment to make sense of the numbers anyway, otherwise it's just stabbing in the dark, trial and error, and subjective results (for the issues I'm having).

I'm considering a custom professional tune (which hurts! $$$) and have a good place up the road (AF1). I'm still in the recon/exploratory phase of this, but they're recommending going with a Power Commander module and then a custom tune.

AF1 has fancy dyno gear and access and experience with TuneECU apparently, but I would have to supply the cable and maybe even a laptop??? (said that both Tuneboy and TuneECU were "labor intensive" = $$)

Bike info: '07 990

Stock map (I think)
2-into-1
FMF single can
Cannisterectomy
SAS removal (with resistors, etc)

It's running pretty badly since I did the SAS job, poor mileage and surgy in the mid-range steady throttle (cruising speed). Mileage is dismal. It's run fine for 50K before I messed with the canni/SAS.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for some advice and reassurance that it'll all work out okay! Any reason to doubt that a Power Commander treatment would fix me up? I guess I don't mind spending the money if it works, I just can't afford to pull that trigger too many times. I love this bike, but damn...

I'm living a home mechanic's bad dream: Modifying a perfectly good motorcycle to tweak it better on the cheap and having the opposite effect, and then having to buy your way out. The up side is that I could potentially have an expertly tuned machine on the other side of this experience...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Fact is, that whatever route you choose, a good tune is a tune done on the road, not on a dyno. Which means you need a wideband. The 'easy' way is to get a powercommander V and an autotune module, assuming they make one for your 990. Or you get a powercommander and you tune it by hand with the wdeband.

A more involved way is to get a wideband and tune it with tuneEcu, another option is to invest on a motty (which does the V+autotune job, but it does it better), but you will have to splice the harness for that one. Apart from the motty being a very sophisticated piece of gadgetry, it is also transferable from bike to bike and not bike specific like the powercommander.

Probably tahoecr and k2m will chime in promptly and shed more light to this, they are the people to listen to on these matters.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
(said that both Tuneboy and TuneECU were "labor intensive" = $$)

There is your answer and the attitude of most dyno operators. Lazy and only looking to get you in and out as fast as possible. Plus make 35% on the PCIII that you don't need. They are not really giving you a "custom" tune. They are selling you a PCIII. Then hooking up "Tuning link" software that Dyno jet developed(that is why they want to sale you a PCIII). Their PC then takes over all the tuning as they just sit there and hold the throttle. Tuning link then runs thru the pre set TPS ranges while in each range going up the rpm band. It checks your current A/F ratio then changes it to a pre set ratio. It does not optimize the A/F range for that RPM/TPS nor does it alter ignition timing. Tuning Link does not set a "closed loop" area as PCIII's run without o-2 sensors so forget killer MPG(optimizing ignition timing can also help mpg). I don't consider that a custom tune. You could do that much by buying your own wide band and spending some time.
Is that enough? Here, let me give you some more. PCIII is a piggy back system. It takes the signal coming out of the ECU and modifies it to what was set. It does not know if your ECU is on the MAPvsRPM(Low TPS settings and richer) or the TPSvsRPM map. Because of this it will not solve your biggest issue of the "throttle notch" or whatever you want to call it.
Sorry if I was a little bit blunt. Nothing personal, just always feel like in so many different threads what I say to try and help falls on deaf ears so I pretty much quit posting about tuning. I just didn't want to see you spend that much and not really be happy with the results.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Micah has a good rep in Aprilia circles

AF1 and Micah have been tuning twins (Aprilia, Ducati, etc) for a long time and have a great reputation.
At times, I think they singleandedly have done more for the Aprilia brand in the USA than any one else with their forum, tech support, and being able to obtain and supply parts for Aprilia when no one else had them.

If I was closer - it would be a done deal for me.
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
I'll second tahoeacr. The other thing to remember is that a PCIII doesn't take into account a lot of the elevation changes, at least when I was studying it.

The long and the short is that it's expensive to do the Tuneboy or TuneECU software by someone who knows what they're doing. That said, it is so worth it.

Ken Wheeler did mine at his shop at Deals Gap along with my RC8 and my dads RC8. All three bikes are fantastic now: more power, better mpg, and smoother throttle.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
There is your answer and the attitude of most dyno operators. Lazy and only looking to get you in and out as fast as possible. Plus make 35% on the PCIII that you don't need. They are not really giving you a "custom" tune. They are selling you a PCIII. Then hooking up "Tuning link" software that Dyno jet developed(that is why they want to sale you a PCIII). Their PC then takes over all the tuning as they just sit there and hold the throttle. Tuning link then runs thru the pre set TPS ranges while in each range going up the rpm band. It checks your current A/F ratio then changes it to a pre set ratio. It does not optimize the A/F range for that RPM/TPS nor does it alter ignition timing. Tuning Link does not set a "closed loop" area as PCIII's run without o-2 sensors so forget killer MPG(optimizing ignition timing can also help mpg). I don't consider that a custom tune. You could do that much by buying your own wide band and spending some time.
Is that enough? Here, let me give you some more. PCIII is a piggy back system. It takes the signal coming out of the ECU and modifies it to what was set. It does not know if your ECU is on the MAPvsRPM(Low TPS settings and richer) or the TPSvsRPM map. Because of this it will not solve your biggest issue of the "throttle notch" or whatever you want to call it.
Sorry if I was a little bit blunt. Nothing personal, just always feel like in so many different threads what I say to try and help falls on deaf ears so I pretty much quit posting about tuning. I just didn't want to see you spend that much and not really be happy with the results.
Well said. Clear and to the point.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
I forgot to add nothing against AF1. Never used them. I did call them back in 08 as they were recommended by Tuneboy back then. They didn't want to touch a KTM then. Good to know our brand is coming up in the US. We'll have a SX championship before long even.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,041
I like the Power Commander V (not the III)+ autotune + wideband solution. I know many friends who have used it and it works well.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
I"m really glad you chimmed in. Really. Being one of the knowledgeable FI members here you probably feel like your input does "fall on deaf ears" at times, but I assure you that many of us read and re-read what you say (even if we/they don't reply).

Yes, this is EXACTLY what I want to hear, and I appreciate brutal honesty! After wading through the "Got Tunes" thread I was surprised that they (AF1) were more eager to recommend the PCIII over TuneECU because 1. TuneECU seems to be "it" here in the Orange Crush, and 2. They advertise some form of TuneECU on their website. I even mentioned that.

Sorry if this is a dumb question: Do YOU do custom tunes professionally? I might come see ya... Who are the other guys that know how to do the KTMs right? Ken Wheeler at Deal's Gap, who else? I do get around the country, perhaps a scheduled appt. is in order based on time and place... I'm in San Antonio, but something out West could work, as could something in the South maybe...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I have had Micha do some work for me on an Sr 50 scooter. He is a very talented tuner and currently hacking into a MV 1000 FI system that you can follow on his thread "What is in the shop" at the AF1 site. Lots of pro's and con's of PCV or PCIII. I tried a Bazzaz FI unit with an Auto tune oxygen probe and it worked on my 2007 then the bike went bad again so I was back to square one. Later found out it was the TPS not sending a signal.
I ended up taking my bike to Wayne Tripp @ PowerTripp performance in Birmingham,AL and he built a custom map in Tune ECU on his dyno. He had already worked on 4 KTM adventures. My 2007 runs great with his tune and it does not have any issues with fueling. He also dropped in a set of 2007 SuperDuke cams and he cost for tuning, installing the cams was $600.
I watched him tune and the biggest advantage on the KTM of Tune ECU was how much he advanced the timing in the lower RPM range. Any of the add systems such as PC or Bazzaz can't effect this.
I have a PCIII on my ZX-14 and it works great. Bike a motor and a nitrous map with a control switch and it works great. So I am not against the add on units but a good tune in the ecu has advantages on the LC8.
I would call Wayne and make the trip East! I drove to his shop from Cleveland and stayed a week touring around the state and had a great time.

I also will vote for Ken Wheeler in Deals Gap, I have been to his shop a few times and very good guy. My KLR broke down when i was in the area 5 years ago and he dropped what he was doing, repaired the bike and got me on my way. But he showed his dyno and explained his tuning practices and I would feel he would also do a good job.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I watched him tune and the biggest advantage on the KTM of Tune ECU was how much he advanced the timing in the lower RPM range.
Ken told my dad when he was tuning on his RC8 that he liked TuneBoy but he was going to swap over to TuneECU because there was so much more that he could do as far as timing, mapping, etc.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
I would gladly pay a professional tuner that uses TuneECU.
So far I have not heard of one in the west. Anyone out there?
My bike’s engine is stock, good for me, but if a tuner said I should get different exhaust cans and remove the SAS I would before a tune.
So here I am with money in my hand, Pro Tuners PM me.
08 990a
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
My bike’s engine is stock, good for me, but if a tuner said I should get different exhaust cans and remove the SAS I would before a tune.
If the SAS works the way I think it does, it will have to go. Anything that injects dirty air back into the system will screw up the tuning.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
I got to agree Ktoom119,

I'm thinking I don't need the Cats with the SAS removed. I also think someone wrote in the TuneECU thread that shutting off the O2 sensors would/could ruin the cats. That is something that has helped some riders in their tuning, also in the thread.

I'm just a little leary removing stuff because one of my riding partners has Acraprovics and map but still has the SAS and riding behind him smells like lots of unburned oil and gas is getting by and it stinks (07 990S). Around here it's death to the contaminators.
KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I agree about removing the Cats and SAS with a propoer tune. I did that to my 2007 with the AKRO map and I was afraid to have some one with a lit cigerrate behind when it was getting an impressive 25 mpg!