User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #1516
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
An adv-bike with 130 hp . . . why not?

Admittedly, it's rather difficult to use more than 50 rear wheel horsepower on a dirt road . . . but with such heavy bikes as these, we are really talking about something closer to Autobahn adventure-tourer. A big and growing market segment . . . and customers always want more power (if only for prestige) . . . and for manufacturers, it would never do to have a flagship with substantially lower output than their competitors.

Interesting to know where it will all end . . .
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #1517
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
An adv-bike with 130 hp . . . why not?

Admittedly, it's rather difficult to use more than 50 rear wheel horsepower on a dirt road . . . but with such heavy bikes as these, we are really talking about something closer to Autobahn adventure-tourer. A big and growing market segment . . . and customers always want more power (if only for prestige) . . . and for manufacturers, it would never do to have a flagship with substantially lower output than their competitors.

Interesting to know where it will all end . . .
130hp is not really about adventure touring...meaning bad roads, dirt, mud, stones. 50hp and less weight is the way to go.
130 hp is all about speed on pavement, bragging rights, image, bench racing/BSing.

130 hp sells That is what BMW, Ducatti, note the engine on the new honda!!

There are the poseurs, and then there are the serious adventure tours.

enjoy
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #1518
Spoke
semi-feral teen

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
Thats a big HELL YEAH! I am in the position now to own a GSA but will go with the Tenere or Tiger 1200. Def the Yamaha Tenere 1200. I absolutely love the BMW GSA. It looks the part...it just looks so trick compared to the other bikes in the adv segment but I hate being stranded. I tend to get far away from civilazation so dependability is the absolute most important thing for me. Thats why I choose Japan motorcycles. Oh, as you guys probably can figure, i ride a Strom.
40,100 miles of haulin ass on dirt and asphalt with no problems on my '09 1200 GS. Never been stranded on the big girl. I could not see myself putting this kind of riding mileage on a jap bike, and, I own 7 other jap bikes that just sit in the basement.

Anyone want to buy a highly dependable jap bike? Got several for sale! Smooth as glass, zero personality!

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #1519
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Sorry, Jim, but that argument is rather weak!

For anyone with a general interest in motorcycling & adventure-riding [and keyboard time!!!] the G-Spot sites are relatively attractive . . . it's not just all the Angst and hurly-burly . . . it's the sheer accessibility of the layout of "threads with titles".
Unless you are a committed close-follower of one of the mega-threads of "Beasts" (or whatever) . . . it is difficult to keep in touch with what is happening there . . . yes, it is actually a bit daunting to find a thread with 2,000 or 20,000 posts sitting there . . . like a nightmare of unread emails.

(Have to put in a good word for "Hacks", in the same way )
G-spot is about GS's, no other reason to be here unless you are interested in GS's, or interested in whinning about them!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #1520
simoneau
Biker/Adventurer/Retiree

Oddometer: 194
With more torque comes more horsepower. Horsepower = torque (ft-lbs) multiplied by rpm divided by 5252.
You want more torque, you take more horsepower at a given rpm.
simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #1521
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
I would like to know why BMW needs to make a adv bike with 130hp???

B/c Ducati does.

g-
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1522
monkeydad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Obviously you really want a BMW though, or you wouldn't be here!

Jim

I bought my DL1K6 VStrom, new because it was "more reliable" than the BMW, had a chain (I put a master link on it) and while I really liked that bike, I ended up with the bike that I really wanted in the first place, an R1200GS.
I can't believe I wasted the time and money on those other bikes. The GS is so far above them in performance and style, it really is.

It took two more bikes to get me back around to finally owning the GS. All because I was basically too cheap to spend the money. Let's see, three bikes in four years, and finally to the GS. Not a lot of financial sense in those purchases in the long run!!

Denial, not just a river!
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #1523
rritterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneau View Post
With more torque comes more horsepower. Horsepower = torque (ft-lbs) multiplied by rpm divided by 5252.
You want more torque, you take more horsepower at a given rpm.
That's a limited perspective. a sportbike will make more peak HP than a GS but be less torque-y almost everywhere. If they simply boost torque output everywhere, then, yes, I agree with you. But, they may make the bike more peaky and less tractor-y, really sacrificing torque for HP.
rritterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #1524
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young View Post
B/c Ducati does.

g-
Call me stupid if you want, but I don't mind traveling on pavement at relatively high speeds with a powerful engine in a relaxed way and having plenty of more power on tap when needed.

Not that i NEED 130hp, I do just fine with 110, but I wouldn't mind having more. Still, i'm not gonna run out and buy one just becouse, but I'll probably pick one up used a couple of years later, letting someone else pay for the pleasure of being first ;)
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #1525
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
I own an MTS, recently traveled the South Island of NZ on a GSA , two up with gear. Loved the bike , great in all areas except performance when needed. Now I know we can all argue that the power is right for market , but if I was to say what I'd like, to just own one bike, that would be the GS , then a little more go is it.

I ride with an assortment of riders, I ride MTS or RT , I have no difficulties keeping up on the RT,( which is a similar performer to the GSA ), except for overtaking and tight uphill corners .

So for me more power is just to make it that much better !
Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #1526
jtfbb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
50hp and less weight is the way to go
They do go this way - try G650 GS Sertao - could be a good bit of kit. But why would you want to buy a 1200 with only 50hp, surely a one way path to bankrupcy for BMW. Hopefully the new model will have a range of engine maps so you can use the full 130+ hp when you want and tone it down a bit when in the rough stuff
Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #1527
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
whimp
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #1528
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
Call me stupid if you want, but I don't mind traveling on pavement at relatively high speeds with a powerful engine in a relaxed way and having plenty of more power on tap when needed.

Not that i NEED 130hp, I do just fine with 110, but I wouldn't mind having more. Still, i'm not gonna run out and buy one just becouse, but I'll probably pick one up used a couple of years later, letting someone else pay for the pleasure of being first ;)
I completely agree - I used to get my CBR1100XX up over 130 as often as possible. But the question was why is BMW giving the new GS 130HP. Answer: Because Ducati put 130HP+ in the Multi. They would much prefer to have a lower HP figures for a number reasons, but they will lose sales to Ducati unless they match Ducati's HP figures. g-
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #1529
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 6,008
Then why not go for 190hp? If you 'need' 130hp, you'll certainly 'need' 190hp. Then 200hp. . . .

On an adv bike. . .

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"

hillbillypolack screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 09:18 PM
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #1530
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
Then why do those people who like sit-up sport-tourer bikes don't simply buy sit-up sport-tourer bikes? Why buy a GS and then tell everyone "I just use it as a tourer?"
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote