Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #136
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Wow, zip ties as the latch pin. Come on people at least used a 16 penny nail with a couple bends in it if you are going for hack.

Mulled these trailers over years ago and everything about them was a cut corner. Bought one from the local big box store and granted it's not a featherlite, but I have put thousands of miles on it with zero issues other than lights. Well worth the $500 price tag, plus it's a fair amount bigger at 5'x8'
That was when I picked it up from the PO. She didn't have a lock or anything, so I had a few emergency zip ties I had to use.

Since modified, and then remodified.

By the way, over a year of hard use later and it is going strong. I have severely overloaded it with bags of rock several times with no issues.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #137
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Yup, the tires suck. I had bought 12 inch car tires a while back, I wish I got 3, you can't buy 12 inch car tires anymore. When I need tires next I will have to move up to 13 inch rims.

Still going strong after a whole lot of miles and years

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #138
Cycle61
wannabe

Oddometer: 345
Just bought mine.

Got the heavy-duty non folding one, theoretically ~1700# load capacity.

On sale from $459 to $349, and then a 20% off coupon brought it down to $279.

Got it mostly assembled, I hate NYLOCK nuts, but it's together with red loctite everywhere.

Now to clean out the bearings and pack them with some decent grease, that I don't have. Good thing I don't need it to haul anything until Friday.
Cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #139
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle61 View Post
Just bought mine.

Got it mostly assembled, I hate NYLOCK nuts, but it's together with red loctite everywhere.

Now to clean out the bearings and pack them with some decent grease, that I don't have. Good thing I don't need it to haul anything until Friday.
Why do you hate nylock nuts?

Jim
Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #140
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Just bought mine.

Do you need any special tools to repack the bearings? Never done that kind of job before.
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #141
Cycle61
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Why do you hate nylock nuts?

Jim
My forearms are killing me from wrenching them all into place. And you basically never see them in actual industrial applications. Red loctite on everything, and hopefully I don't have to deal with it again. The fastener quality on this thing is very poor, I think I may have partially stripped the threads on one of the u-bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLight View Post
Do you need any special tools to repack the bearings? Never done that kind of job before.
There are specific tools for packing bearings, or you can pretty easily do it by hand. I'm just gonna do these by hand, I don't do enough mechanical work to justify more greasy tools laying around the house.

Sure would be nice to have a shop, or even a flat place to park. Driveway is so steep that I have to clean it after a storm or my car can't get out. Finished my assembly by flashlight last night, and the trailer frame is leaned up against a tree right now so it doesn't slide down into the neighbors' yard.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #142
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
My forearms are killing me from wrenching them all into place. And you basically never see them in actual industrial applications. Red loctite on everything, and hopefully I don't have to deal with it again. The fastener quality on this thing is very poor, I think I may have partially stripped the threads on one of the u-bolts.
Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, the bolts are not the highest quality.
Quote:
There are specific tools for packing bearings, or you can pretty easily do it by hand. I'm just gonna do these by hand, I don't do enough mechanical work to justify more greasy tools laying around the house.

Sure would be nice to have a shop, or even a flat place to park. Driveway is so steep that I have to clean it after a storm or my car can't get out. Finished my assembly by flashlight last night, and the trailer frame is leaned up against a tree right now so it doesn't slide down into the neighbors' yard.
Easy to do, like you say.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...wheel+bearings

Pick a video!

Jim
Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #143
Cycle61
wannabe

Wheel bearings are done. As mentioned elsewhere, I'm pretty sure whatever they ship with is somewhere between Vaseline and generic china brand rust inhibitor goop. No freakin' way would I actually want to drive on this stuff. No wonder people have reported them failing in a few thousand miles.

First one is clean.

The outer bearings are loose, and come easily out by hand. The inner bearings, (the same part number, surprisingly), are held in quite firmly by a rubber and spring seal in the back of the hub. Nothing that a 27mm socket and a couple solid taps with a hammer can't fix. Both popped out with no damage.

The bearings themselves seem to be decent quality, a Timken 30205/P6, so hopefully they'll run well with some good grease in them.

Got them all cleaned and ready to repack.

At this point I put the camera away, because that shit gets everywhere. But here's the finished product, loaded up with fresh Mobil 1 Synthetic. The rear seals reinstalled easily with a couple taps of a wooden mallet.

And for anybody wondering, here's what you're gonna get when you open the boxes. I don't have any pictures of the assembly of the frame, because it got dark, but I'll pick back up tonight. Gotta grease the axle, install the wheels, and run all the electrical, then it's off to Home Depot for a sheet of 3/4 plywood.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #144
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
I am thinkin of gettin one of these trailers.When you talk about the cheap nuts and bolts,I am wondering,I have an electric impact gun.Are they so cheap that I will easily stip this hardware?
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #145
Cycle61
wannabe

I torqued the shit out of everything, I don't think you're actually going to break them. But I certainly wouldn't use them twice.

Also, make sure you have both sockets and box-end wrenches in every single one of the following sizes:

16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, and 24mm.

Finishing wiring and deck on mine tonight!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #146
Cycle61
wannabe

Haha, this has turned into my build thread over the last two days. Hopefully somebody finds it helpful.

Here we are as I left it last night, waiting for hubs, wheels, and electrical.

$9 can of this stuff will probably last me for years. Mmmm, synthetic.

Axle shaft ready for hub install.

Hubs installed and torqued, all nice and smooth.

Note to self: Do not use big-ass adjustable wrench as dust cap install hammer.

Electrical went fairly smoothly, detail shots tomorrow since it got dark again, but she's wired, up, rolling, and we made our run to the hardware store for a sheet of 3/4" plywood decking.

Couple of little rattles here and there, once the wood was on top of the frame and strapped down, I literally forgot the trailer was back there several times over a 20-minute drive. This weekend she gets tested with lumber and tools for an attic refinish job, and next week we try hauling a 600 pound Kawasaki with it.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #147
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
Another option is to forget the bolts and use your $89 HF wire welder to weld the frame together.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #148
Cycle61
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Another option is to forget the bolts and use your $89 HF wire welder to weld the frame together.
Don't forget your $29 HF angle grinder to clean off the paint first. Can't have porous welds now, can we?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #149
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Quote:
Don't forget your $29 HF angle grinder to clean off the paint first. Can't have porous welds now, can we?
And buy a box of HF nuts, if one doesn't like the nylocks.

The stock wiring is awful, so replace it with HF wire, and HF terminals. Use the HF crimper.

Don't forget the HF ramps, HF motorcycle wheel chocks, HF trailer wheel chocks, HF jack stand for the tongue, HF reflective tape and reflectors, and of course a HF spare tire and rim.

And HF tools to put it together.

One stop shopping.

What else am I forgetting?
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #150
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
What else am I forgetting?

The HF bearing packer.